Container work paid by the mile

TruckerAds:
10 brand new 68 plate mercs sitting in there yard but no one to drive them

Not forgetting you get the pleasure of answering to the adorable tricia.
The rose of teeside.

Drempels:
Seriously though, I thought mileage bonuses and the like were outlawed years ago for HGV jobs.

Thats exactly how I understand it,any sort of payment system that encourages a Driver to contravene the Laws & Regulations is illegal
Mileage Tonnage Trip money come into that category

albion:
Sounds like a nightmare to calculate from an office pov. Much prefer a timesheet that says, start at x, finish y. Simple for both sides to work out.

Makes you wonder how the hell they do work it out.

And if it isn’t an outright fiddle against the driver (stinging them especially when there’s unexpected and unavoidable traffic, delays, breakdowns, or quiet days where there’s no decent runs and they don’t have a minimum daily charge akin to minimum paid working hours), I can only imagine it works by encouraging antisocial practices. Fellas driving like maniacs, jumping queues in yards, being uncivil and harassing site staff, skipping checks, and tipping on breaks.

There’s one thing for sure, they don’t introduce such complexity and afford all that clerical effort, just to pay the driver a higher rate for the work done.

They are still advertising in Goole

Rjan:

albion:
Sounds like a nightmare to calculate from an office pov. Much prefer a timesheet that says, start at x, finish y. Simple for both sides to work out.

And if it isn’t an outright fiddle against the driver (stinging them especially when there’s unexpected and unavoidable traffic, delays, breakdowns, or quiet days where there’s no decent runs and they don’t have a minimum daily charge akin to minimum paid working hours), I can only imagine it works by encouraging antisocial practices. Fellas driving like maniacs, jumping queues in yards, being uncivil and harassing site staff, skipping checks, and tipping on breaks.

There’s one thing for sure, they don’t introduce such complexity and afford all that clerical effort, just to pay the driver a higher rate for the work done.

You’ve done a bit on the skips as well then! :laughing:

Drempels:

TruckerAds:
10 brand new 68 plate mercs sitting in there yard but no one to drive them

Should have bought V8 Toplines :laughing:

Yup. With some chrome rims and they would have been inundated with interest.

yourhavingalarf:

chaversdad:
Its definately conships, that name at the top is Tricia the gaffer
As others have said though they never get slated and 4 drivers have just left Prestons to go on for them and they are raving about how good a job it is!

Prestons…

Curtains on wet windy days. Steel on timbers. Hanging around for ever in Coca Cola factories. Trying to find a slot for your trailer in the darkness at St Neots. Moving two trailers in the darkness to get yours in at St Neots in the darkness. (I speak from experience)

Conships. Four twistlocks a day. Sleeping on the bunk for hours on end.

No wonder they’re raving about how good it is.

Joking aside (i did work for Prestons myself) all those that left Prestons were steel men who had been there a good while , 2 of the ones who left had been there over 15yrs

chaversdad:

yourhavingalarf:

chaversdad:
Its definately conships, that name at the top is Tricia the gaffer
As others have said though they never get slated and 4 drivers have just left Prestons to go on for them and they are raving about how good a job it is!

Prestons…

Curtains on wet windy days. Steel on timbers. Hanging around for ever in Coca Cola factories. Trying to find a slot for your trailer in the darkness at St Neots. Moving two trailers in the darkness to get yours in at St Neots in the darkness. (I speak from experience)

Conships. Four twistlocks a day. Sleeping on the bunk for hours on end.

No wonder they’re raving about how good it is.

Joking aside (i did work for Prestons myself) all those that left Prestons were steel men who had been there a good while , 2 of the ones who left had been there over 15yrs

Again, I thought Prestons were an alright firm to work for. Maybe I’m out of touch.

I have worked for both Prestons and Containerships so rather than conjecture lets look at real experience

Prestons
I worked for Prestons subsidiary FVS for many years, the money wasn’t market leading, but they ran safe and legal, the kit could be old but the maintainence was top notch, I was NEVER asked to push the legal lines- working for FVS they got me into doing abnormal loads that led to me moving onto Econofreight- the best career move I could have made- when I was there Derek and Martin in the office were top notch, and would back up a driver all the time I have no bad word to say about working there- money was about average for the region,

Containerships
They had a deserved reputation on Teesside many years ago for running with little regard for the rules, That all changed by the time I worked there- the pay scheme looks complicated but it does pay (take Home) probably well above the average wage for drivers on Teesside - the kit has improved in the last few years , and shall we say that the HR department has far more say than a shouty person in the traffic office which has reigned in that what was at times a toxic atmosphere , it is easily the fastest growing haulier on Teesside having trebled in size in the last 4 years and its turn over of staff is very small- at one time to earn money at Containerships your face had to fit- now most guys I know that work there are content- not many leave that says it all

Rikki-UK:
I have worked for both Prestons and Containerships so rather than conjecture lets look at real experience

Prestons
I worked for Prestons subsidiary FVS for many years, the money wasn’t market leading, but they ran safe and legal, the kit could be old but the maintainence was top notch, I was NEVER asked to push the legal lines- working for FVS they got me into doing abnormal loads that led to me moving onto Econofreight- the best career move I could have made- when I was there Derek and Martin in the office were top notch, and would back up a driver all the time I have no bad word to say about working there- money was about average for the region,

Containerships
They had a deserved reputation on Teesside many years ago for running with little regard for the rules, That all changed by the time I worked there- the pay scheme looks complicated but it does pay (take Home) probably well above the average wage for drivers on Teesside - the kit has improved in the last few years , and shall we say that the HR department has far more say than a shouty person in the traffic office which has reigned in that what was at times a toxic atmosphere , it is easily the fastest growing haulier on Teesside having trebled in size in the last 4 years and its turn over of staff is very small- at one time to earn money at Containerships your face had to fit- now most guys I know that work there are content- not many leave that says it all

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Rikki-UK:

Prestons

Containerships

Would this experience/not conjecture be recent rik?

Perhaps I…

Should clarify my earlier post regarding Prestons.

I agree with Rikki about Prestons kit, it’s all above board and they run straight. My point is that curtains and flat trailers will never be as cushy as containers when it comes to the amount of effort required. When your standing in a muddy field of spuds looking at your curtain blowing upwards in the wind, my thoughts often turned to containers. But when I’ve done boxes I used to get naffed off with all the hanging around, the monster queues and the repetative nature of the job.

'Orses for courses innit.

That 33p mile as in what you actually drive. Or 33p a mile as is what an office bod/ Google maps says it should be via shortest route possible

edd1974:
That 33p mile as in what you actually drive. Or 33p a mile as is what an office bod/ Google maps says it should be via shortest route possible

Teesport to Durham via Penzance :bulb:

slowlane:

edd1974:

Teesport to Durham via Penzance :bulb:

With telematics today, it should be a push of the button at the end of the week and it will tally with the tacho.

edd1974:

I mentioned going the “long” way round to the assessor to earn more he replied you must go the planned route weather you do or don’t your paid by the shortest possible planned route and not by your odometer mileage.

Rjan:

albion:

Summed up perfectly.

TruckerAds:

edd1974:

I mentioned going the “long” way round to the assessor to earn more he replied you must go the planned route weather you do or don’t your paid by the shortest possible planned route and not by your odometer mileage.

So major accident and diversion puts 50 miles and an hour plus on the day and no extra as it’s not planned. Job sounds better by the minute

I used to get payed like this and you have to keep an accurate account of what you do to check it against what the firm pays you for, sometimes a drop or hook would go missing. Someone mentioned how they calculate miles which is a good point, here in the states most firms pay household movers book miles i.e. they draw a straight line from A to B and that’s what they pay. I used to be payed like that and the mileage was usually at least 10% less than actual. Last firm i worked for paid actual miles you drove right off the hub so you didn’t get shorted and we were allowed to go the safest way not the shortest if we didn’t think it was safe but you still lost money if you got stuck in a traffic jam or some other delay.

remy:
I used to get payed like this and you have to keep an accurate account of what you do to check it against what the firm pays you for, sometimes a drop or hook would go missing. Someone mentioned how they calculate miles which is a good point, here in the states most firms pay household movers book miles i.e. they draw a straight line from A to B and that’s what they pay. I used to be payed like that and the mileage was usually at least 10% less than actual. Last firm i worked for paid actual miles you drove right off the hub so you didn’t get shorted and we were allowed to go the safest way not the shortest if we didn’t think it was safe but you still lost money if you got stuck in a traffic jam or some other delay.

To me that seems like the Operator looking to defray some of the exceptional costs onto the driver. There is an argument if the driver is Ltd/self-employed because you know, they are in business :wink: , but not IMO if the driver is PAYE. That’s the deal, you are paid to work for someone and it limits the employees exposure to risk. As an Operator, it is my job to factor in risk when I price work - sometimes I lose on it as today’s M6 crash proves, but it isn’t for my drivers to take the risk. Taking risk should mean more reward, that’s the point of running a business; in this example, you are going to be hampered by the fact you have no control.