Connel Bridge Height - Urgent

Hi all,

A mate of mine is heading north but apparently Tyndrum is shut.

He’s got a 3m fridge on a wheel of 1.25m so he’s 0.5cm over the limit.

Think he’ll be ok? I’ve only taken a 3.8m coach over a million times but never anything bigger and I’m not sure what the local boys can get away with. I know there’s always a bit of play but I’m not sure if it’s an unwritten ‘no go’ or if it’s regularly done.

Half a centimetre? Will probably be fine
I doubt its worked out to such a precise height limit that half a CM will cause problems.
But tell him to boot it on approach anyway just in case it is going to catch. That way, the momentum will carry him through to the other side with nowt but a few scrapes and dings.

The bridge is 13’ 9" He’ll be ok with a 3.0 mtrs trailer.

Don’t know the bridge, but,If hes really worried, dump the air out of unit and trailer if theres not a lot in it.

Yep. 13’9’'.

Whats the tolerance, anyone know? I know in europe its 4m, but the police will let you run +2/3 cm i believe.

Concretejim:
Whats the tolerance, anyone know? I know in europe its 4m, but the police will let you run +2/3 cm i believe.

I will not be held responsible for starting this argument again, this could end up a very, very long topic.

I imagine he will be fine - I just know they dug up the road a while back. It was just to see if it’s the done thing.

I think what you’re pecking at then, the road’s been resurfaced, it’s 6 ‘’ higher, and nobody’s altered the ****n bridge height sign… :laughing:

Don’t recall the bridge you are on about, but if it’s only a small amount of doubt, heightwise…, suspension dropped, dead slow, head out of window watching top of trailer if it was me.

If you are not sure travel via Glencoe and miss it out altogether .

I can’t remember what his excuse was for not going via Glencoe but it was genuine.

For those that don’t know, the bridge is a ■■■■■

http://www.oldappin.com/images/partnumber/enlarged/{05D8021C-C485-4100-B2C3-CF93DB08ED02}_Connel_Bridge4.jpg

Minus the railway track, of course.

stagedriver:
I can’t remember what his excuse was for not going via Glencoe but it was genuine.

For those that don’t know, the bridge is a [zb].

http://www.oldappin.com/images/partnumber/enlarged/{05D8021C-C485-4100-B2C3-CF93DB08ED02}_Connel_Bridge4.jpg

Minus the railway track, of course.

Oh right. Wasn’t how I was imagining it.
Maybe not the best place to turn back around if too low.
Take no notice of my last post :smiley:

stagedriver:
Hi all,

A mate of mine is heading north but apparently Tyndrum is shut.

He’s got a 3m fridge on a wheel of 1.25m so he’s 0.5cm over the limit.

Think he’ll be ok? I’ve only taken a 3.8m coach over a million times but never anything bigger and I’m not sure what the local boys can get away with. I know there’s always a bit of play but I’m not sure if it’s an unwritten ‘no go’ or if it’s regularly done.

Don’t you mean 5cm over?

0.5m rather!

if bridge is 4.2 streetview link
and truck is 3m + 1.25m = 4.25
then truck is 0.05m or 5cm or 50mm to big.
It is going to be close, and if you hit you will be in big trouble.

and if you pan the google camera round to the east, you get a glimpse of Ben Cruachan. :smiley:
google.co.uk/maps/@56.45724 … 312!8i6656

What route is the guy taking anyway? The bridge is north of Tyndrum.

wot a heart warming tale of a young gentleman leaving home with only a satnav to his name , and a misplaced trust in the interwebnet highway to cure his troubles .

the dear boy had to change his route to avoid highwaymen , and soon realised that without a bridge height map he was unable to plot a safe route .

“i know” he declared “i’ll ask a friend to consult the TNUK oracle” , for this wise entity was reputed full of a thousand years of wisdom and experience . it was also equipped with vast unimaginable intellect that would thrust a mighty sword thru the heart of that unspeakable evil : the metric system .

clearly 1.25 meters + 3.0 meters was well within this oracles collective capabilities . but the ancient unreconstructed hinterland he was entering was annotated as 13’9" !!!

what a devilish conundrum . after much consultation of greek philosophy and slide rules the TNUK wise men spoke thus :

busteredwards:
The bridge is 13’ 9" He’ll be ok with a 3.0 mtrs trailer.

Concretejim:

robroy:
…, suspension dropped, dead slow, head out of window watching top of trailer if it was me.

but surely , the young innocent wondered , the key to the fiendish riddle is simply to establish that 4.25 meters is smaller than 13’9" ■■

he consulted a mysterious wizard refilling his potions at a roadside eatery housed in a caravan : 4.25 meters is 13’11&1/2" !! lets call this 14’ exclaimed the wise wizard , as if you cross even a dragons arse hair that goodly height will be reached .

Simple , and yet , the goodly wise oracles of TNUK were not satisfied with this wizards magic . the unspeakable evil of the metric system blinded their eyes . "of course the the system of empire is greater than the evil shenanigans of the ■■■■■■■ metric system " they declared !!

‘just close your eyes and breath in’ they enthused ,’ go faster’ and ‘go slower’ were the words of unquantifiable wisdom gained from thousands of years of experience :

The-HighwayCodeEvangalistHimself:
I doubt its worked out to such a precise height limit that half a CM will cause problems.
But tell him to boot it on approach anyway just in case it is going to catch. That way, the momentum will carry him through to the other side with nowt but a few scrapes and dings.

stagedriver:
0.5m rather!

whoops . the super evil of the metric system had struck again !

ALL TO PERIL AND PERISH

then when all seemed lost the great blue angel of good swooped down from the heavens on the wings of common sense …

Bluey Circles:
if bridge is 4.2
and truck is 3m + 1.25m = 4.25
then truck is 0.05m or 5cm or 50mm to big.
It is going to be close, and if you hit you will be in big trouble.

the poor young man was so confused by poor advice he threw his satnav in a bin and quickly set about applying to Sir Aldi for a mission stacking shelves .

never again would he trust the Interwebhighway or its agents of misinformation and doom

boredwivdrivin:
Blah blah blah,blah blah blah

So I take it when I suggested during the week (after you tried to pick a fight with me and lost since you were,as usual, completely wrong and not reading things properly in your haste to try and be a smart ■■■) that you go up your meds, you didnt do it? You really need to up the dosage

The-Snowman:

yo,

im leafing thru your bible with earnest haste …

misfortune all mine …

as i struggle to identify the precise subclause that says : ignore the bridge height signs , hammer it hard , and collect merely a few dings and scrapes .

no doubt the wisdom contained in your post is lost on me , a simple cornish serf , blinded as i am by your brilliant tartan skirts .

and not , as a cynic might argue , that u r too thick to understand the exceedingly simple metric system

boredwivdrivin:
yo,

im leafing thru your bible with earnest haste …

misfortune all mine …

as i struggle to identify the precise subclause that says : ignore the bridge height signs , hammer it hard , and collect merely a few dings and scrapes .

no doubt the wisdom contained in your post is lost on me , a simple cornish serf , blinded as i am by your brilliant tartan skirts .

and not , as a cynic might argue , that u r too thick to understand the exceedingly simple metric system

It actually appears to be you who’s a bit thick
I WASN’T BEING SERIOUS
dumb ■■■