Confused Sat Navs

bubsy06:
You young uns aint got a clue.
We drove trucks with square wheels, candles for headlights and had to use these to find our way

There’s a few on this thread that would prefer and encourage using something like that. That and a ball of string to trace back to the yard come Friday.

maga:

bubsy06:
You young uns aint got a clue.
We drove trucks with square wheels, candles for headlights and had to use these to find our way

There’s a few on this thread that would prefer and encourage using something like that. That and a ball of string to trace back to the yard come Friday.

Don’t forget the stars.

orys:

grumpybum:
Mine will not route me through the Dartford tunnel. It will route me via the Woolwich ferry, or send me all the way around the M25 in the opposite direction. It will route me over the Dartford Bridge from the other side, but not through the tunnel, even if I am at the tunnel entrance and going to Purfleet, it still will not plan a route through it.

I hasten to add that I could find my own way from Dartford tunnel to Purfleet :blush: I was just citing an example :smiley: It has nothing to do with the height either - but if I change it to a car setting it will do it. Maybe there is a secret weight limit…

You propably have it set to avoid tolls.

You obviously haven’t read the post!!! If he had set it to avoid tolls, then why would the thing route him over the bridge■■? Keep to what you know best, Orys .

maga:

Google maps all the way.
I use street view to see the drop and whether it would be a reverse in jobby or a drive in turn round jobby, if it is a reverse in i will make sure i take the route that brings me to the drop on a good side reverse.
Paper maps are sooooooooooooo last century, google maps are updated regularly and are free and include photos of the actual street :grimacing:

I wasn’t using my satnav wrong, I never set it up and had it send me the wrong way because I don’t own one and never will, I am slightly more intelligent than to waste money on such items made for the benefit of those who can’t find their way from A to B without the aid of such a device. There was once built into my phone and I tried it a couple of times, but it was easier to just drive to within a mile awy then get the map out, if the street wasn’t there either phone ar ask someone. I uninstalled the Navigator from the Droid :laughing:
I do constantly hear people on the CB asking directions because their damm satnav sent them the wrong way or because it sent them down a parkway which once on is too late and you are gonna get a very big fine.

Pat Hasler:
I wasn’t using my satnav wrong, I never set it up and had it send me the wrong way because I don’t own one and never will,

So you are not everyday user of Sat Nav, but you know better that they don’t work than these of us, who use them everyday and have no problems with them?

I am slightly more intelligent than to waste money on such items

For your information: i used to be map-only man when I was driving in Britain only, but now since I drive all around Europe, I use sat nav. Because to buy a map of every place I have to go will cost me much more. I have a shoebox of maps and atlases in my boot from the time I was doing local multidrop - so it’s mostly Scotland, and some areas of England, topped with AZ for Britain and European atlas. It’s about 50 quid worth of maps. My sat nav costed me 109 and served me very well across ten or more countries I’ve been for my work, finding me some silly small villages in Czech republic that aren’t even on my map of that mountains only.

made for the benefit of those who can’t find their way from A to B without the aid of such a device.

Maybe, but believe or not, these toys are helpful to this who can find their way from A to B without them, but just know that it is easier tu use sat nav, than shop for maps of every town you have to get into.

There was once built into my phone and I tried it a couple of times, but it was easier to just drive to within a mile awy then get the map out, if the street wasn’t there either phone ar ask someone. I uninstalled the Navigator from the Droid :laughing:

If stopping and asking for your way is easier than just use a sat nav, you are obviously not as intelligent as you think :slight_smile:

I do constantly hear people on the CB asking directions because their damm satnav sent them the wrong way or because it sent them down a parkway which once on is too late and you are gonna get a very big fine.

Ah, so asking for directions because you can’t find your way with sat nav - bad.
Asking for directions because you can’t find your way with map - good, because this is what you do :slight_smile:

:unamused:

Had loads of problems with sat nav on Thursday, keept wanting to send me left at every opportunity it had :confused: Almost to the point of me arguing with the @#!! :smiling_imp: …between A 43 & a45 , and it started re numbering the roads too! !! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: … .and it wasn’t happy at that so later on around Peterborough it was again telling me left & left again :frowning: the left turns just weren’t there only a massively wide ditch :open_mouth: :open_mouth: at this point I pulled it’s plug, thinking it may have overheated :wink: & quiet was resumed & resorted to my previously written map routes :smiley:

The following day it started doing the same thing again, so I put in my spare sat nav, only to find that was doing exactly the same thing! ! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: by now id had enough nonsense from the wretched things , so I gladly resorted to my map & the road signs happened to be a bit clearer on the way back :smiley: :wink:

Never used one, i have a brain :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

tootman318:
Never used one, i have a brain :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

So you don’t use truck as well, as you have muscles?

Pat Hasler:
I don’t own one and never will

Sounds like a reasonable basis on which to have an opinion of them…

“I hasten to add that I could find my own way from Dartford tunnel to Purfleet I was just citing an example It has nothing to do with the height either - but if I change it to a car setting it will do it. Maybe there is a secret weight limit…”

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Stopping a few streets away and asking directions if you are not sure is far more reliable that any satnav and is not a waste of money, Particularly from all the posts I have seen in the past on this forum about VOSA ticketing drivers for having things like satnavs stuck to the windshield … what damm use is something that 50% of the time is wrong and you can’t actually stick to your windshield.
I was just voicing the truth, if some of you are some reliant on these things because you have no idea how to read a map, scared you will get lost, cant get under bridges without hitting them or reading the height warnings or want to waste money on pointess gadgets you are welcome to. :slight_smile:

Pat Hasler:
Stopping a few streets away and asking directions if you are not sure is far more reliable that any satnav

I have to be honest, that method can work very well. In a car once I put Glasgow Prestwick airport into Sat Nav (did I get the right one, the one that is about 3000 miles from Glasgow anyway)

It took me a stupid cross country route entirely on B roads to the middle of a residential area and told me I had arrived at my destination.
Felt such a muppet winding the window down and asking “excuse me, strange question, is there an airport anywhere near here?!”
From that day I always look at maps AS WELL!

Pat Hasler:
Stopping a few streets away and asking directions if you are not sure is far more reliable that any satnav and is not a waste of moneyp

Simple question: when (provided you have been given correct adress) was the last time you had to stop and ask for directions?

I use sat nav all the time, and the last time was around previous christmas, when I was going to the newly build residential area and my map wasn’t up to date, so it did not existed yet… So since it’s about 17 months now since I had to stop and ask for direction last time, I dare to say that my sat nav works well… :slight_smile:

Particularly from all the posts I have seen in the past on this forum about VOSA ticketing drivers for having things like satnavs stuck to the windshield … what damm use is something that 50% of the time is wrong and you can’t actually stick to your windshield.

You can. You just can’t do it in a way that obstruct your view. Last time I’ve been stopped by Vosa (driving 26 tonner) they have no problems with my sat nav sitting in the very corner of my windscreen.

I was just voicing the truth, if some of you are some reliant on these things because you have no idea how to read a map, scared you will get lost, cant get under bridges without hitting them or reading the height warnings or want to waste money on pointess gadgets you are welcome to. :slight_smile:

No, you are telling crap, because you suggest that only these whop can’t read map use them, in which you are completely wrong. If you can’t read map, you won’t make much use of the sat nav as well, as you are propably too stupid to use it correctly. If you are smart, then you choose the best tool to help you work, and now for many uses sat nav is still the best (like in my job, when I would have to posses maps of all Europe, as I am going everywhere and never know in advance where - altough if I drive around glasgow doing multidrop, I prefer map).

You ignore what many here say to such extend, that I am not sure if you are so stubborn, or just trolling :slight_smile:

And one more thing: you have to buy yourself a GOOD sat nav, and update the maps from time to time :slight_smile:

I had once a doubtful pleasure of being issued with the binatone from my workplace and it was the most stupid tool I ever had to use. But you don’t need to go for fancy names as well… I have European model of Navigon, cost a half of what Tom Tom does and works better (i was using borrowed top of the range tom tom for two months before I got mine).

Can anyone recommend me a map, which will have all my drops on, for the next couple of years whilst working on the agency. Just so I can leave my navigation aid at home, and feel like a real proper trucker.

:open_mouth:

How long have you been able to get satnavs ?
How the hell do you think we got on all these years without them FFS ?
What a bunch of soft tossers you are if you can’t drive a truck without one FFS, maybe if you had tried to drive a truck 10 years ago you would have to give up because you couldn’t find your way round.
Some of you on here are so usless without these things you whould get a factory job FFS
Rant over.

Pat Hasler:

We did well for several 1000 years without trucks, yet you drive truck. Does it makes you a soft ■■■■■■? :slight_smile:

More over, we did well for several 1000 years without knowledge of existence of America, yet you have emigrated there… :smiley:

Pat Hasler:

Iam pretty sure anyone on this forum could complete his/her task without a satnav, but if your on agency, are you expecting everyone to turn up with >ALL< possible maps for any eventuality of job the driver may get!!

chester:
Iam pretty sure anyone on this forum could complete his/her task without a satnav, but if your on agency, are you expecting everyone to turn up with >ALL< possible maps for any eventuality of job the driver may get!!

Well, I did that (that’s why a shoebox full of maps in my car’s boots is there till today. Covering most of Scotland, Newcastle and Teeside and London). But it would be hard for my current job - European express courier :slight_smile:

Pat Hasler:
What a bunch of soft tossers you are if you can’t drive a truck without one FFS, maybe if you had tried to drive a truck 10 years ago you would have to give up because you couldn’t find your way round.
Some of you on here are so usless without these things you whould get a factory job FFS
Rant over.

Pat. Please find a USA truckers forum. Go there and stay there. You do my ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ in. “when I was… at matchbox/at tesco/best driver in UK etc”

I have a sat nav in my drawer. I use it occasionally. I have google maps on my phone. I use it regularly. I have street view on my phone. I use it regularly. I have several paper maps. I use them regularly.

Sometimes its easier using a satnav than driving around with a bloody great big map held up in front of your face.

Asking directions? I’d rather trust a satnav than asking a majority of the british public. Mind you sometimes your lucky if you can find sometime that speaks English.

On a separate note, many years ago my step Dad worked for the forestry commission. He felled trees with an axe and cross cut saw. Then someone invented a chainsaw. In the early days chainsaws were big, heavy and bloody dangerous. Now, saws are lighter and safer and have fancy things like heated handles and anti vibration measures. Its called progress Pat.