Confused Sat Navs

I had to deliver some pallets of flour in Newport (Wales) yesterday, near the Transporter Bridge. Sat Nav was well confused, kept changing routes, sending me to the Bridge (is it still used?) and wanting me to turn at “no right turns” and across a new building site. Thankfully Google Maps found my destination. Anyone else had stroppy sat nav experiences?

oh yes :smiley: several times yesterday according to my sat nav I was either on the wrong side of the A90 going in the opposite direction, going through the water at the new bridge at kincardine or the best one was when I was transported from the A1 at scotch corner all the way back up to edinburgh , and back within 30 seconds if only the journey was that quick lol

Mine will not route me through the Dartford tunnel. It will route me via the Woolwich ferry, or send me all the way around the M25 in the opposite direction. It will route me over the Dartford Bridge from the other side, but not through the tunnel, even if I am at the tunnel entrance and going to Purfleet, it still will not plan a route through it.

I hasten to add that I could find my own way from Dartford tunnel to Purfleet :blush: I was just citing an example :smiley: It has nothing to do with the height either - but if I change it to a car setting it will do it. Maybe there is a secret weight limit…

Bridle paths with my Snooper S7000.It gets in a hissy fit with London and the timed restrictions.To overcome that i enter the location via the car mode, then it is happy as larry.

Delivering to big place on an A road and got taken down this just yesterday, saved the council a job of clearing a lot of low branches… I was only 13’’ 3’.

Mine always tells me to go via the channel tunnel. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

DJC:
Delivering to big place on an A road and got taken down this just yesterday, saved the council a job of clearing a lot of low branches… I was only 13’’ 3’.

Where was the place you were delivering to, some sort of farm set up? The roads leading to that from the A38 look like no-go zones.

grumpybum:
Mine will not route me through the Dartford tunnel. It will route me via the Woolwich ferry, or send me all the way around the M25 in the opposite direction. It will route me over the Dartford Bridge from the other side, but not through the tunnel, even if I am at the tunnel entrance and going to Purfleet, it still will not plan a route through it.

I hasten to add that I could find my own way from Dartford tunnel to Purfleet :blush: I was just citing an example :smiley: It has nothing to do with the height either - but if I change it to a car setting it will do it. Maybe there is a secret weight limit…

You propably have it set to avoid tolls.

A driver from the Middle East ended up in the North of England, he was supposed to be in Gibraltar by entering the wrong street in his sat nav, he was seen confused near a bird sanctuary and a local told him of his error.

rob22888:

DJC:

Where was the place you were delivering to, some sort of farm set up? The roads leading to that from the A38 look like no-go zones.

Monkton Elm Garden Centre, back up on the A3259. It took me left right before it, I had to go right round to the right to get up to where it actually was.

I have said it time and time again… Don’t waste your money on satnavs.
If you can’t trust a good map give up. I live in a country with 4 time zones, I have not lived here all my life, I don’t own a satnav and would never waste my time and money on something that sends people the wrong way frequently.

grumpybum:

Maps after V9 have finally sorted that out. You could tell it you are a Car then change it back after the crossing or update the Maps.

orys:

grumpybum:

You propably have it set to avoid tolls.

It’s a Mapping error.

One day some time in the not too distant future a meteorite or something else like a solar flare is gonna wipe out thet very satelite you little satnav device is hooked to then you will have a worthless little screen bobbing about in your cab LOL
Learn to read a map FFS

Mine is to busy diverting me from traffic :smiley:

Pat Hasler:
I have said it time and time again… Don’t waste your money on satnavs.
If you can’t trust a good map give up. I live in a country with 4 time zones, I have not lived here all my life, I don’t own a satnav and would never waste my time and money on something that sends people the wrong way frequently.

If you used proper sat nav, and set it up right, it would not sent you wrong way.

And it’s much cheaper than buying a map of the town everytime I want to go somewhere. I have a shoebox of maps and atlases in my boot and use them sometimes when, for example, doing local multidrop, but if you drive all around Europe, sat nav is a must.

Maybe it’s not a problem in US, where all cities and towns looks like scottish tartan, and streets and avenues are numbered, but here in Europe you won’t get to some places easily, you know.

Pat Hasler:
One day some time in the not too distant future a meteorite or something else like a solar flare is gonna wipe out thet very satelite you little satnav device is hooked to then you will have a worthless little screen bobbing about in your cab LOL
Learn to read a map FFS

Ive got a luggage rack full of maps on the coach - one London one, a truckers atlas, a Berkshire A2Z and a Hampshire one, plan a route with either with the satnav and if it correlates then happy days!!

Yorkysays:-:
It’s a Mapping error.

It works perfect on mine. If i set it to “avoid tolls” it will send me through Woolwich, Blackwall or around London. If I approve tolls, it sends me via Darftord Crossing.

Pat Hasler:
Learn to read a map FFS

It might come as a surprise for you, but many of us, who use sat nav, can read maps. We just use it, because is more practical and cheaper.

But I see where you coming from. And imagine, one day some time in not too distant future, a black bomb will be dropped at the USA, making all electric systems fried and making your nice peterbilt or whatever you drive a pile of useless crap. FFS, stop using that worthless technology and return to drive horse and cart! :laughing:

A sat nav is a map, albeit a digital one. :unamused:

You young uns aint got a clue.
We drove trucks with square wheels, candles for headlights and had to use these to find our way