Confused about driver shortages

Rowley010:

lolipop:
Simple answer Insurance,plus would you let someone with little or no experience loose with a motor thats cost you close to a100k or more

Yes actually I would because whilst a new driver might have a couple of minor scrapes, I think a new driver will be taking more care and keeping distance from the truck in front. It’s often actually older and more experienced drivers you see so close to the truck in front that they can’t even see if the brake lights go on. I don’t think there is evidence to show that new drivers have written off a 100k truck any more than an experienced driver. Minor stuff I’ll accept is more likely from a newbie but massive stuff I think the risk is equal perhaps even swayed slightly in favour of newbies because they are being more careful and not “on auto pilot” yet.

That was more or less my thinking. In fairness, we did send them out with a more experienced driver as our work was double manned a lot so I didnt have too many worries, and it helps a new driver with things like getting on the Eurotunnel train for the first time having an experienced driver along.

The insurance for us was another 500.00 on the excess for under 25s.

On the other hand, anyone remember XFMatt I think it was. New driver and within a week hed bumped a car, taken down a telephone pole and for the piece de resistance, rolled it over. :unamused:

Rowley010:
Yes actually I would because whilst a new driver might have a couple of minor scrapes, I think a new driver will be taking more care and keeping distance from the truck in front. It’s often actually older and more experienced drivers you see so close to the truck in front that they can’t even see if the brake lights go on.

This is so true it hurts :frowning: I’m ashamed to say but I was probably a safer driver when I was just starting out. I remember one of my first shifts with a driver of 20+ years xp, the way he drove (a rigid)…I was genuinely scared we’d crash into someone. He was like “Ehh, don’t worry, you’ll start driving it like a car too, eventually” I thought to myself “Lol, no way” but I’m getting there. I have to make a conscious effort to take it easier.

albion:
On the other hand, anyone remember XFMatt I think it was. New driver and within a week hed bumped a car, taken down a telephone pole and for the piece de resistance, rolled it over. :unamused:

Yes albion but to be fair everyone’s nervous on their first day :blush: :wink: :wink:

remy:

albion:

Yes albion but to be fair everyone’s nervous on their first day :blush: :wink: :wink:

Have you something to tell us about your first day, Remy? :wink:

albion:

remy:

albion:

No Sir, not me. I cleverly waited a while till they’d grown to know and love me before my little (to me) so called 'incidents". :wink: :wink: :sunglasses:

remy:

albion:

remy:

albion:

No Sir, not me. I cleverly waited a while till they’d grown to know and love me before my little (to me) so called 'incidents". :wink: :wink: :sunglasses:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There is a shortage of drivers willing to work for ■■■■ pay for ■■■■ companies. That’s the only shortage.

As for training people up, I do a bit of work for a firm that does that and they nearly all bugger off six months later and don’t pay anything back. It costs him too much time and money trying to recoup the money back. The modern world and modern driver.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Carryfast:

lolipop:

Carryfast:

lolipop:
Simple answer Insurance,plus would you let someone with little or no experience loose with a motor thats cost you close to a100k or more

How do those with experience get it if they can’t get a start without it.Oh wait suddenly no insurance or experience issues and loads of adverts for local multi drop/retail/hiab building materials/other types of dross available.

Same way as others like myself and many others started, at the bottom working for few "tin pot"outfits and driving old knackers of a fleet to get experience and proving your worth before progressing upwards as we gained experience.
To many think because they hold a class 1 by paying out a few grand entitles them to go straight into top jobs,as most will say it don`t work like that unless you are dead lucky

Which translates as ‘experienced’ drivers think that only they have the god given right to decent work while new drivers can take all the zb and often get type cast with it.On that note why a supposed ‘insurance’ issue for new drivers on decent work but miraculously no issue when it’s zb work.So there we have it no driver shortage just an increasing shortage of drivers prepared to be taken for mugs.

As for old knackers you don’t know the meaning of the word unless you’ve driven something like a 1940’s Matador as a council driver in the 1980’s.While I was driving that among other similar heaps 4 years after getting my licence,other younger ‘less experienced’ drivers were walking into international jobs because their face fitted.Even worse jobs then awaited me after that on agency with night trunking finally being as good as it ever got.Before my back finally gave out long before my time in the job in large part because of all the zb labouring work which went with the territory of what you laughingly describe as ‘tin pot’ work and even to an extent the move to hub system type trunking. :unamused:

AEC with split screen,air con was windscreen opened out, no screen washers, air wipers, nothing heated,windows with no winders ,no bonnet cover, gear box with no syncro and a 6 digit number plate no letter at the beginning or end."TEST " motor BMC PETROL crash box

P Stoff:
There is a shortage of drivers willing to work for [zb] pay for [zb] companies. That’s the only shortage.

As for training people up, I do a bit of work for a firm that does that and they nearly all bugger off six months later and don’t pay anything back. It costs him too much time and money trying to recoup the money back. The modern world and modern driver.

Why not have a full time position that has the caveat in the contract that “leaving before 12 months for any reason - requires the costs of DCPC/Other training to be deducted from final payround”.?

The main reason that people will work at one place for six months, get trained there, and then move on - is because the pay for the newly trained does NOT go up once the training is complete…

Winseer:

P Stoff:
There is a shortage of drivers willing to work for [zb] pay for [zb] companies. That’s the only shortage.

Why not have a full time position that has the caveat in the contract that “leaving before 12 months for any reason - requires the costs of DCPC/Other training to be deducted from final payround”.?

The main reason that people will work at one place for six months, get trained there, and then move on - is because the pay for the newly trained does NOT go up once the training is complete…

Why not ask the question of those who are leaving “why are you leaving?” Companies trumpet their credentials by training people up and then act all disappointed when they leave, there has to be a reason. I’ll give you two clues; wages, workload.

They chase more money plain and simple. The bloke I know runs mainly fridge work, simple stuff ideal to learn by. He’s not a slave driver. He’s very fair.

P Stoff:
They chase more money plain and simple. The bloke I know runs mainly fridge work, simple stuff ideal to learn by. He’s not a slave driver. He’s very fair.

The real question is why he’s training people all the time then rather than just recruiting experienced drivers.

Believe it or not he wants to get young lads into the job. He started as a loader at nights after school and knows no different. Still loves the job. Your quizzical question sort of underlines the attitude of modern day I guess. If someone is doing good, what’s their angle?

P Stoff:
Believe it or not he wants to get young lads into the job. He started as a loader at nights after school and knows no different. Still loves the job. Your quizzical question sort of underlines the attitude of modern day I guess. If someone is doing good, what’s their angle?

But then the question of exactly why people are leaving remains unanswered. Most workers won’t move jobs after settling for 6 months without a significant advantage to be had (or unless they wanted to leave earlier but were somehow locked in).

You ascribe it to workers chasing more pay, but then that surely proves that the employer to whom you refer is underpaying?

Why is the employer always the bad guy? He offers people the chance to get their license with guaranteed work at the end. He doesn’t drive bent. He runs decent trucks. They can tramp or day work. His rates are comparable with everyone locally. Surely if someone give you a that opportunity, you should by your own morals, give them a couple of years of your services. This gives you the experience new decent employers might require and shows you won’t chop and change every five mins. If I was employer and I discovered he had trained and then done a bunk I wouldn’t employ him.

P Stoff:
Why is the employer always the bad guy? He offers people the chance to get their license with guaranteed work at the end. He doesn’t drive bent. He runs decent trucks. They can tramp or day work. His rates are comparable with everyone locally. Surely if someone give you a that opportunity, you should by your own morals, give them a couple of years of your services. This gives you the experience new decent employers might require and shows you won’t chop and change every five mins. If I was employer and I discovered he had trained and then done a bunk I wouldn’t employ him.

You’re making some good points, but, if he’s a reasonable boss, paying the same as his neighbours, good kit, etc, then why can’t he retain workers? I agree it seems strange, but why are his trainees jumping off?
He could be a good bloke down the pub, but a different fella if a driver is late for a tip?
I’m not slagging anyone I don’t know, just wondering aloud.

He runs 26 tractor units. Over half have been with him for 10 years plus. He’s not a slave driver. But as you say it must his fault for investing £2k - £3 k for very little return.

I would think that loyalty should be a two way street. If the guy has invested in you why leave, the other mans grass is probably no greener in the long run.

P Stoff:

Sorry buddy there’s something you’re not telling us or something’s going on in your employer’s backyard you don’t know anything about.

Without knowing the guy, it’s difficult to work out why.

As I’ve said before, my hourly pay would be around 12.75 by now, so not the best, though we paid through breaks, paid meal allowance, double time sundays. Most of the drivers were in the south east where there was no shortage of other work if they wanted to move, yet up until I finished in the previous 10 years we had 2 drivers that left of their own accord. One didn’t want to but had some family issues that meant he moved 100 miles away. It was one of my long running jokes that i couldn’t get people to leave!

BTW, in our niche sector I paid more than my competitors.

Money is, IME, not the only factor I keeping drivers.