Confused about driver shortages

We’re forever being told there’s a shortage of hgv drivers, has been for years, and seemingly it will get worse due to retirements and not enough new drivers coming through.

If this is the case why do so view companies take on newly qualified drivers, these are the companies that are most in need of new blood but aren’t interested in doing anything to alleviate the problem, WHY? On top of that why are there still jobs out there that aren’t offering much more than minimum wage. What’s happened to supply and demand?

None of the above makes any sense, or am I missing something. Would like to hear opinions and theories as to why so little is being done by the haulage industry, who ultimately are the ones who are going to suffer in the long run if what we are told is correct.

JRjr:
We’re forever being told there’s a shortage of hgv drivers, has been for years, and seemingly it will get worse due to retirements and not enough new drivers coming through.

If this is the case why do so view companies take on newly qualified drivers, these are the companies that are most in need of new blood but aren’t interested in doing anything to alleviate the problem, WHY? On top of that why are there still jobs out there that aren’t offering much more than minimum wage. What’s happened to supply and demand?

None of the above makes any sense, or am I missing something. Would like to hear opinions and theories as to why so little is being done by the haulage industry, who ultimately are the ones who are going to suffer in the long run if what we are told is correct.

Don’t be confused, there aint a driver shortage.
End of discussion.

Simple answer Insurance,plus would you let someone with little or no experience loose with a motor thats cost you close to a100k or more

JRjr:
On top of that why are there still jobs out there that aren’t offering much more than minimum wage.

1. Because there isn’t a driver shortage.

JRjr:
What’s happened to supply and demand?

1. See (1).

There’s a shortage of last minute to fill sudden upsurge in demand “Professional LGV Driver’s”

The big companies always try to run with minimum staffing levels and use agency/casual to cover peaks, but will also drop them if they can get own drivers to do overtime.

We all want to put food on the plate and most of us choose regular full time employment, rather than irregular shifts with an agency.

Also the pay and conditions at the bottom (new entrants) of the ladder in transport are diabolical, which causes many give up before they gain the minimum “2 years” experience required by the big boys.

Sixties boy:
There’s a shortage of last minute to fill sudden upsurge in demand “Professional LGV Driver’s”

The big companies always try to run with minimum staffing levels and use agency/casual to cover peaks, but will also drop them if they can get own drivers to do overtime.

We all want to put food on the plate and most of us choose regular full time employment, rather than irregular shifts with an agency.

Also the pay and conditions at the bottom (new entrants) of the ladder in transport are diabolical, which causes many give up before they gain the minimum “2 years” experience required by the big boys.

What you’re saying makes sense. The thing is it means that there isn’t a shortage as such it’s just demand is higher at certain times of the year and the rest of the year you’d have 1000’s of drivers out of work if you had the additional 45000 drivers the industry is supposedly short of.

On second thoughts there maybe is a shortage of ‘DRIVERS’ after all.
On the other hand there is no shortage of HGV licence holders. :smiley:
Just look around on the roads.

JRjr:

Sixties boy:

What you’re saying makes sense. The thing is it means that there isn’t a shortage as such it’s just demand is higher at certain times of the year and the rest of the year you’d have 1000’s of drivers out of work if you had the additional 45000 drivers the industry is supposedly short of.

No there’s a definite shortage just not a permanent one.
It’s still a issue for the industry.

That being said it might not be this bad this winter due to Brexit or it could be far worse. When does the Xmas craze usually start?

adam277:
No there’s a definite shortage

Ok, So if there is this ‘‘definite shortage’’ …

Why is it that me as a driver with a vast and much varied experience, (and a clean licence), is on poor wages?

Why are firms not fighting over each other to hire me and drivers like me with the same experience?

Why do most firms (of the type I work for) look upon their drivers as a ‘necessary evil’ rather than a precious asset, and treat them accordinglly?

Why are agencies holding their drivers to ransom… and not vice versa?

Mainly due to the second part of the sentence that you didn’t quote.

It’s not like a crazy shortage by any means. It just means that during the busy periods they have to pay the agencies that little bit more for drivers.

If you are on poor wages though with loads of experience though it must be down to choice or your location.

adam277:
Mainly due to the second part of the sentence that you didn’t quote.

It’s not like a crazy shortage by any means. It just means that during the busy periods they have to pay the agencies that little bit more for drivers.

If you are on poor wages though with loads of experience though it must be down to choice or your location.

I was referring to the average wage of a driver in general as ‘poor wages’, but you’re right, the area I live in is not renowned for high wages, which is why I was employed outbased from home for about 14 or so years.
I suppose you’re also right about ‘choice’ as I chose an easier job today based locally tramping, rather than chasing money and being away all the time as I once was.

robroy:
I was referring to the average wage of a driver in general as ‘poor wages’, but you’re right, the area I live in is not renowned for high wages, which is why I was employed outbased from home for about 14 or so years.
I suppose you’re also right about ‘choice’ as I chose an easier job today based locally tramping, rather than chasing money and being away all the time as I once was.

Where are you based?

lolipop:
Simple answer Insurance,plus would you let someone with little or no experience loose with a motor thats cost you close to a100k or more

How do those with experience get it if they can’t get a start without it.Oh wait suddenly no insurance or experience issues and loads of adverts for local multi drop/retail/hiab building materials/other types of dross available.

dexxy57:

robroy:

Where are you based?

If I told you that I’d have to kill you.

(Why do you want to know? :neutral_face: )

Harry Monk:

JRjr:
On top of that why are there still jobs out there that aren’t offering much more than minimum wage.

1. Because there isn’t a driver shortage.

JRjr:
What’s happened to supply and demand?

1. See (1).

There is a shortage of drivers to cope with massive seasonal uplifts ie Xmas, and Summer, when both agency and FTE like to take time off.

That’s about it.

adam277:
When does the Xmas craze usually start?

About 2 months before the post x-mas quietdown which then lasts until late March

If there’s one thing I dislike the most about this job is how right now I’m fending off calls from 3 different agencies offering me work but come late December I’ll be out of work again as the same agencies will be then saying “Kind of quiet right now, mate” for the following 3 months

Where I work they had 48 Agency in last Saturday evening. 7 on standby. The fulltime drivers don’t want the hours so they do there basic which is less then 9h a day and they don’t want any overtime on weekends.

One of my previous places started training more and more up with the warehouse to wheels scheme and when I was at Tesco they did the same there and then Royal Mail of all companies finally opened up and advertised at the Daventry depot and got over 300 applicants for 20 people they was taking on.

When the new hub near my current place opens up they’re going to want more drivers. While some think they’re is no shortage I disagree. I think in some areas they’re struggling and I know my last place is struggling to hire fulltime drivers because the wage is crap. You’ve got fulltimers leaving that place then going back on agency because they’re paid more lol.

Or it could be more a case of companies can’t find enough drivers to go fulltime because of maybe the pay they’re offering or it’s the job itself. Let’s be honest here some driving jobs I’ve seen have been utter rubbish.

Then the other aspect that you can’t really sell this job to new people. Most drivers moan about

Wages.
Hours.
Conditions.
Trucks given.
Office staff in transport.
Inadequate services.
Planning.

The list is endless.

Try selling that to a youngster you’re trying to get into this industry.

Only two places I’ll ever work for one’s Royal Mail and the other one is where I am now. I really can’t see me wanting to ever go back to working for some ■■■■ companies where office staff are dicks or do silly store deliveries again and have massive long hours everyday.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Carryfast:

lolipop:

How do those with experience get it if they can’t get a start without it.Oh wait suddenly no insurance or experience issues and loads of adverts for local multi drop/retail/hiab building materials/other types of dross available.

Same way as others like myself and many others started, at the bottom working for few "tin pot"outfits and driving old knackers of a fleet to get experience and proving your worth before progressing upwards as we gained experience.
To many think because they hold a class 1 by paying out a few grand entitles them to go straight into top jobs,as most will say it don`t work like that unless you are dead lucky

lolipop:

Carryfast:

lolipop:

Same way as others like myself and many others started, at the bottom working for few "tin pot"outfits and driving old knackers of a fleet to get experience and proving your worth before progressing upwards as we gained experience.
To many think because they hold a class 1 by paying out a few grand entitles them to go straight into top jobs,as most will say it don`t work like that unless you are dead lucky

Yup, spot on.

Sometimes, unless you have a guardian angel (ie dad is the convenor), it can be a bad move to land a plum job-for-life too soon, we all drop various ■■■■■■■■ as new drivers no matter how hard we try, better to learn the job and make those mistakes on lesser jobs, so if and when you find the golden fleece you’re much more likely to not only make good, but having seen what else is out there you should, if you have an ounce of sense and a memory span longer than a goldfish, appreciate it and do your best to make it last for ever.

Juddian:

lolipop:

Carryfast:

lolipop:

Yup, spot on.

Sometimes, unless you have a guardian angel (ie dad is the convenor), it can be a bad move to land a plum job-for-life too soon, we all drop various ■■■■■■■■ as new drivers no matter how hard we try, better to learn the job and make those mistakes on lesser jobs, so if and when you find the golden fleece you’re much more likely to not only make good, but having seen what else is out there you should, if you have an ounce of sense and a memory span longer than a goldfish, appreciate it and do your best to make it last for ever.

This.
The last 2 jobs I’ve had will not take on inexperienced drivers 5 years + or certain nationality’s even the age young & old is a factor & forget about being a smoker(obviously they don’t advertise all this) with the load your Driving around £500k worth of equipment so they are picky & WILL leave a truck parked up loaded if they can’t get the right driver, but get a job & you won’t leave the pay is £50k plus, they don’t advertise it’s a case of building networks of friends throughout your career & getting an inside tipoff.
I started with bookers on class 2 doing multi drops around central London 20 years ago so you earn your stripes to get the best jobs.