Confused about 45 hours rest in cab

Confused about 45 hours rest in cab new law in uk
I normally do my weekly rest in cab at docks as all other irish drivers do
Aswell as foreign drivers
Some weekends i book hotel but expensive
So if i park at a services with toilets showers and pay for it myself will i be legal ■■
Or do i have to find a house now thanx

Ps i work for an irish company based in uk i only deliver to docks i stay in uk tramping

The authorities are not entforcing it at the moment as far as I know.
Only France and Belgium are doing this but Germany is getting there.

I don’t if the UK ever will or even have enough manpower to do it.

May be everyone could share their opinions about this topic.

If all of your weekend rests are in the cab I would think that you are breaking the law. Ad I understand it its only compulsory 45hr breakd affected. So if you take two weekends in the cab, then take an extended break awsy from the truck on the 3rd weekend you’ll be withon the rules?
I don’t know how likely you are to be pulled for it though. If pulled I believe it’s your employer who is liable for any fine.
If you’re driving a truck reg in Eire and not crossing to Eire or any other country then you’re possibly breaking cabotage laws. Dunno how strongly that’s enforced. Again employer liable. That won’t apply if your truck is UK reg of course.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Just opened up the bulletin from RHA and this was in it:

IN-CAB WEEKLY REST ON PUBLIC ROADS BAN
Recently DVSA announced it is to commence enforcement against FULL weekly rests (45hrs) taken
“in-cab” from the 1st November 2017. The RHA requested further clarification from DVSA and the
Department for Transport on how the enforcement will be managed so that operators and drivers
are not caught out by the planned changes.
The RHA has now received this information and the DVSA advice can be found attached with the
newsflash.
From 1st November, DVSA will start to sanction drivers who take full weekly rest breaks in cabs
outside formal rest areas (i.e. service areas and truck stops). This will include fines and prohibitions.
The RHA recommends that where full weekly rests are taken in paid for lorry parking facilities that
drivers keep receipts to demonstrate they have parked appropriately.

It said if you are parked in a residential area or a layby then you breaking the law but it will never be policed can’t see them riding around all weekend looking for people parked where they shouldn’t be
If you are parked with facilities it isn’t a problem I reckon it’s to stop them pxxxxing and shixxxing everywhere and making a mess

albion:
Just opened up the bulletin from RHA and this was in it:

IN-CAB WEEKLY REST ON PUBLIC ROADS BAN
Recently DVSA announced it is to commence enforcement against FULL weekly rests (45hrs) taken
“in-cab” from the 1st November 2017. The RHA requested further clarification from DVSA and the
Department for Transport on how the enforcement will be managed so that operators and drivers
are not caught out by the planned changes.
The RHA has now received this information and the DVSA advice can be found attached with the
newsflash.
From 1st November, DVSA will start to sanction drivers who take full weekly rest breaks in cabs
outside formal rest areas (i.e. service areas and truck stops). This will include fines and prohibitions.
The RHA recommends that where full weekly rests are taken in paid for lorry parking facilities that
drivers keep receipts to demonstrate they have parked appropriately.

If they enforce this Kingston area of Milton Keynes will be flip flop free zone.

While I no its up to the individual concerned but what sort of life is this living full time in a truck on the docks.

mac12:
While I no its up to the individual concerned but what sort of life is this living full time in a truck on the docks.

As you said yourself - their choice.

Not my cup of tea but I’m out 3 nights (4 on/4 off), used to be 4 nights/ 5 days out and that’s still too much for some. Fair enough.

Life’s decisions can be quite simple - do what your happy doing. If he’s happy doing that - crack on.

mac12:

Slavery.

Was on Meridian TV news over the weekend, Kent police say they will be enforcing it from 1st November. They had already dealt with 4500 drivers earlier in the year for “inappropriate” parking.

hanson:
It said if you are parked in a residential area or a layby then you breaking the law but it will never be policed can’t see them riding around all weekend looking for people parked where they shouldn’t be
If you are parked with facilities it isn’t a problem I reckon it’s to stop them pxxxxing and shixxxing everywhere and making a mess

Will cops be driving around looking for weekenders? I wouldn’t think so either. If they get a complaint about a truck parked “inappropriately” then why wouldn’t they have a look get an easy nick? By definition there’s no rush, a weekender ain’t going anywhere!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Looks like i`m gonna start building some cheap hotels over the country…£10 a night should do it…meals extra…

truckyboy:
Looks like i`m gonna start building some cheap hotels over the country…£10 a night should do it…meals extra…

So to buy the land build the hotel say £10 million then all running costs on top for £10 per night if you want a partner count me out.

As I understand it, the regulations are not there to improve the driver’s situation, they are there to stop unsightly drivers from affronting the good burghers of the parish when on their weekend stroll.
There are no minimum levels of accommodation or services prescribed. Just that you can not sleep in the truck, and that sanitary facilities are available.
My money is on portacabins and portaloos springing up at services, for around £50 a day per bed.
No mention of single rooms, privacy, even hot water being required. This is going to be another ‘bleed the piggy in the middle’ bonanza …

This could shaft many EE’s on very low wages and isnt a good thing imo, however, policing it is another matter entirely, prediction it will just carry on regardless. Many F1 and Ibis charge as little as 18eur for a room, not up to date on UK costs though…

AndrewG:
This could shaft many EE’s on very low wages and isnt a good thing imo, however, policing it is another matter entirely, prediction it will just carry on regardless. Many F1 and Ibis charge as little as 18eur for a room, not up to date on UK costs though…

Serious question, why do you think it isnt a good thing? I see it as a direct move to TRY and level the playing field by stopping east euro drivers living in there cab for months at a time. Surely seeing what has become of the spanish hauliers, jcarrion for example id of thought someone like yourself would be all for it.

If this is really going to be enforced, I bet that Waberer and the like, will buy/rent a piece of wasteland or and empty yard somewhere, and stick a few portacabins and a row of portaloos on it.

The irony eh!

Concretejim:

AndrewG:

Serious question, why do you think it isnt a good thing? I see it as a direct move to TRY and level the playing field by stopping east euro drivers living in there cab for months at a time. Surely seeing what has become of the spanish hauliers, jcarrion for example id of thought someone like yourself would be all for it.

I can see your point re levelling the field i dont disagree but knowing the rates some EE companies are hauling on and drivers pay, its going to be the driver who is further out of pocket. Margins are very small in some cases. EE drivers have to toe the line to earn a crust as theres many more queueing to take their job.
JCarrion merging with Emitir and Veinsur S.A wasnt ideal…