Concerned.....

Hi all.
First post so please bear with me.
Have been out of the game a few years now,joined the forum with a view to coming back to good old Blighty in the Summer months to work for 5-6 months and then return home for the winter in sunny Thailand.
I was browsing the threads today , can’t remember which one. And a poster wrote that he passed his test in an auto and he was also authorised to drive a manual.
Is this correct?
If so I feel this is absolute madness.
I can just see the headlines, trucker could not get a gear and burns out brakes on steep hill.
I am 50 years old,an owner driver for 12 years with unblemished ‘o’ license,got my class 2 27 years ago, national CPC 26 years ago and if I want to drive an hgv sorry lgv, in the Uk I have to spend £400 and a week of my time listening to some Guy in a cheap suit and even cheaper shoes telling me when I should put diesel in my wagon.
Where were the HRA and other organisations when ridiculous legislation like this was passed?
All the best.

Well, you probably had more exciting hair- raising moments in the far east than any of ‘Nancy’s’ in 2mm’s snow here… Welcome to UK… :laughing:

most trucks are auto but if he’s got a manual car licence there’s not a problem

a bit like you stating you’ve

been out the game a few years

things have changed a lot so to let you back on the road without a re-test could also be called madness.

In the UK and not Belgium where they were thought up by the tossing EU! :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

nick2008:

things have changed a lot so to let you back on the road without a re-test could also be called madness.

Why?, you never forget how to drive a lorry, just need to brush up on some changes that’s all

Dieseldog66:

nick2008:

Why?, you never forget how to drive a lorry, just need to brush up on some changes that’s all

making a similarity point
you could also argue the toss of driving assessments … ones past the test as set out by the DVSA

Think youl need your dCPC which is 35 hours brushing up on new stuff. Great for getting old drivers who think they know it all back on the game.
Dont worry we all accepted this so the dies been cast but theres no test to pass and you can sit the same 7 hour course 5 times but thats madness.

I’m sorry guys I cannot agree.
A young Guy passing his test in an auto and then getting in truck with a 4+4 and God forbid a splitter on top…
And you guys think that is safe■■?

Tj916:
A young Guy passing his test in an auto and then getting in truck with a 4+4 and God forbid a splitter on top…

as i said most trucks are auto’s and how did you learn with a 4+4 with a splitter

nick2008:

How many cars do you know with a 16 speed gearbox?
Trust me, I have driven many miles in the madness of Thailand in cars and bikes,and I don’t need a retest in England.

nick2008:

Tj916:

as i said most trucks are auto’s and how did you learn with a 4+4 with a splitter

Volvo Fl10 google it.

Tj916:

nick2008:

Tj916:

Volvo Fl10 google it.

Would that not be a 4 over 4 lorry :question: :question:

It might be madness we will just have to wait & see

The dcpc that you will need as well as a digi card can be boring depends on who is the tutor for a couple of mine the guy was good the others not so but hey you pay your money you tai your chance

Tj916:

She’s Canadian… I can tell…

animal:

Tj916:

nick2008:

Tj916:

Volvo Fl10 google it.

Would that not be a 4 over 4 lorry :question: :question:

It might be madness we will just have to wait & see

The dcpc that you will need as well as a digi card can be boring depends on who is the tutor for a couple of mine the guy was good the others not so but hey you pay your money you tai your chance

Sorry animal I think you are missing my point. For 12 years I had my own operators license doing my own 6 week checks and minor/major repairs.
I did all this at my own expense and in that time I had 2 ministry chechecks at my operating centre without any problems.
I have seen a potential problem regarding safety with newly qualified drivers driving manual trucks with no experience.
If you guys think that is safe…
I disagree.

simon1958:

Tj916:

Sorry to upset your boat simple, but I am Male.

Tj916:
Hi all.
First post so please bear with me.
Have been out of the game a few years now,joined the forum with a view to coming back to good old Blighty in the Summer months to work for 5-6 months and then return home for the winter in sunny Thailand.
I was browsing the threads today , can’t remember which one. And a poster wrote that he passed his test in an auto and he was also authorised to drive a manual.
Is this correct?
If so I feel this is absolute madness.
I can just see the headlines, trucker could not get a gear and burns out brakes on steep hill.
I am 50 years old,an owner driver for 12 years with unblemished ‘o’ license,got my class 2 27 years ago, national CPC 26 years ago and if I want to drive an hgv sorry lgv, in the Uk I have to spend £400 and a week of my time listening to some Guy in a cheap suit and even cheaper shoes telling me when I should put diesel in my wagon.
Where were the HRA and other organisations when ridiculous legislation like this was passed?
All the best.

Why worry ,you won’t change anything ,just pay up listen to the man say yes yes yes then once your out the door do what you want !

The manual vs auto argument has been done a lot, do I consider it safe well it depends on the individual.
Having been pretty much thrown in at the deepend with many gearboxes from simple 4 over 4s to non synchro eaton twin splitters ive usually managed to get her on the road and figure it out. Although with the eaton an old hand gave me some tips which helped a lot.

Nowadays most trucks are autos but a newbie chucked in at the deepend with a manual may find it very difficult at first with an added distraction of not knowing how the gears work.
Ive heard of drivers refusing to drive manuals and even autos arent always just a simple point and squirt job, although I am quite fond of squirters meself but im digressing.

So coming back after a few years off should be easy, choose your dCPC courses wisely so theres a chance of learning something new or just refreshing stuff you hadnt realised youd forgotten.

Tj916:

simon1958:

Tj916:

Sorry to upset your boat simple, but I am Male.

Think you are missing the point the person you are on about ( passing in an auto & getting a manual licence ) is actually female as she does say her name at bottom of post

Dipper_Dave:
The manual vs auto argument has been done a lot, do I consider it safe well it depends on the individual.
Having been pretty much thrown in at the deepend with many gearboxes from simple 4 over 4s to non synchro eaton twin splitters ive usually managed to get her on the road and figure it out. Although with the eaton an old hand gave me some tips which helped a lot.

Nowadays most trucks are autos but a newbie chucked in at the deepend with a manual may find it very difficult at first with an added distraction of not knowing how the gears work.
Ive heard of drivers refusing to drive manuals and even autos arent always just a simple point and squirt job, although I am quite fond of squirters meself but im digressing.

So coming back after a few years off should be easy, choose your dCPC courses wisely so theres a chance of learning something new or just refreshing stuff you hadnt realised youd forgotten.

True dipper, very true, think I’m just letting of a bit of steam. I can go back to England and be a TM for a company with 100 trucks but I can’t drive any of them until I’ve coughed up £400.
Mai pen rai ( it is what it is)
Nice meaow (cat) by the way.
0515 here 26 Celsius off to the temple, could be worse.
Kappun Khap ( thank you).
:smiley: :smiley:

Tj916:

Your wasting your time mate. I personally think its far from acceptable but for lots of guys, getting the license is more important than whether you know what your doing or not.
There was a thread on here at the end of 2014 where a guy came on and said hed failed his test in a manual because he couldnt get it in gear at a roundabout and cut up a van so he took a retest in an auto and passed. He had a job lined up where the trucks were manual and he was on here asking for tips. :open_mouth:
I said this was ridiculous this was allowed because he had shown he could not handle a manual gearbox but there were other members who said it “would come to him when not under the pressure of a test” and wouldnt accept my argument that he had shown he couldnt handle a manual yet was now allowed to drive one after taking an easier route. I said pass in an auto should be auto gearbox only till you pass a test in a manual but after a day I got fed up banging my head against a brick wall. Too many were more concerned about the cost of the test and re-test for fails and saying that passing was more important and then learning to use the manual was a better way. The fact the OP had almost flattened a royal mail van even with an examiner beside him because he was so focused on using it, thus proving just how dangerous it was when you dont know how to use it, was irrelevent. Saving money to get the license was more important.
After a day I gave up because A - I was never going to get any of them to see the big picture and B - It wont make a blind bit of difference either way. The law says pass in an auto means you can drive a manual and no amount of arguing on here will change that