Concerned.....

I passed c and c+e back to back in a auto then the following week I paid for a extra day training in a manual what a waste of money cause I didn’t find it hardly any different at all to be honest I preferd the manual I had it succed in 5 mins I’m a new driver and it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest jumping into a manual

Tj916:

simon1958:

Tj916:
I’m sorry guys I cannot agree.
A young Guy passing his test in an auto and then getting in truck with a 4+4 and God forbid a splitter on top…
And you guys think that is safe■■?

She’s Canadian… I can tell…

Sorry to upset your boat simple, but I am Male.

Sorry… Your dialect, is characteristic and just like that of my N.American nieces…
Quote:- ‘’ a splitter on top ‘’ … like what’s ya problem■■?..

Tj916:
A young Guy passing his test in an auto and then getting in truck with a 4+4 and God forbid a splitter on top…

Perfectly. The main thing to check the ability to do is to set off/stop and change gear using a clutch which they demonstrated in their car test. Taking a truck test in a manual for proving your ability to drive a manual truck is pointless for determining whether or not they can drive a manual. Here’s why.

6 speed box
8 speed box
4 over 4 with a button to change the range
4 over 4 with split and range change, rocker button to change the range, lever to split
4 over 4 with split and range change, in neutral knock gearstick left or right to change range, rocker button for split
4 over 4 with split and range change, rocker button for range, rotary button on top for split similar to Eaton Twin split but on opposite side and only 2 position.
3 over 3 with split and range change, rocker button to change range, lever to split.
4 over 4 with 2 split - Eaton Twin Split gearbox.
Mercedes EPS I
Mercedes EPS II
Scania 10 speed oddball one I’ve only ever seen once in 22 years where it worked like a normal 4 over 4 range change but then you had split on 7th and 8th gear to give 9 and 10 so you’d go 1,2,3,4 in low then go to high and go 1,2,3 low split, 4 low split, 3 high split, 4 high split to give gears 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
DAF 5 over 5 crash box, rocker button to change range.

…and those are the only ones I can remember. I’m sure there’s more.

When you take a truck test its usually in a 6 speed box with no range change or split or if an artic a basic 4 over 4 range change. That doesn’t prepare you for the dozen or more different variations there are. I passed my Class 1 in a truck with 4 over 4 range change. The first truck I drove after passing my test was an Eaton Twin Split. Do you think that my test in any way prepared me for driving my first truck post test?

Conor a ts is not 4 over 4 ,it’s just 4

Punchy Dan:
Conor a ts is not 4 over 4 ,it’s just 4

No, its 4 over 4, thats a way of describing a range change gearbox.

When you take a truck test its usually in a 6 speed box with no range change or split.

Not anymore that changed quite a few years ago unless they have reverted back already.

All training vehicles have to have a range change or splitter for test purposes.

who cares…once you start a job,just find a gear to shudder the thing out of the yard,and figure it out down the road a bit when nobodys watching.crunch a few gears and do a bit of swearing.if you cant do that,then you shouldn’t be driving.no more to it than that.i love autos as I only have 2 feet,so you don’t need 3 pedals,and it gives you another hand to look at your notes,txt someone,or butter your sarnies on the move,but id think if you pass in an auto you should be restricted to them with a bell around your neck for being a fanny that cant drive a normal truck.

Conor:

Tj916:

Perfectly. The main thing to check the ability to do is to set off/stop and change gear using a clutch which they demonstrated in their car test. Taking a truck test in a manual for proving your ability to drive a manual truck is pointless for determining whether or not they can drive a manual. Here’s why.

6 speed box
8 speed box
4 over 4 with a button to change the range
4 over 4 with split and range change, rocker button to change the range, lever to split
4 over 4 with split and range change, in neutral knock gearstick left or right to change range, rocker button for split
4 over 4 with split and range change, rocker button for range, rotary button on top for split similar to Eaton Twin split but on opposite side and only 2 position.
3 over 3 with split and range change, rocker button to change range, lever to split.
4 over 4 with 2 split - Eaton Twin Split gearbox.
Mercedes EPS I
Mercedes EPS II
Scania 10 speed oddball one I’ve only ever seen once in 22 years where it worked like a normal 4 over 4 range change but then you had split on 7th and 8th gear to give 9 and 10 so you’d go 1,2,3,4 in low then go to high and go 1,2,3 low split, 4 low split, 3 high split, 4 high split to give gears 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
DAF 5 over 5 crash box, rocker button to change range.

…and those are the only ones I can remember. I’m sure there’s more.

When you take a truck test its usually in a 6 speed box with no range change or split or if an artic a basic 4 over 4 range change. That doesn’t prepare you for the dozen or more different variations there are. I passed my Class 1 in a truck with 4 over 4 range change. The first truck I drove after passing my test was an Eaton Twin Split. Do you think that my test in any way prepared me for driving my first truck post test?

:slight_smile: well said conor drove all them and moor :sunglasses: test in a manual lern in a auto with driveing aseser

dieseldog999:
who cares…once you start a job,just find a gear to shudder the thing out of the yard,and figure it out down the road a bit when nobodys watching.crunch a few gears and do a bit of swearing.if you cant do that,then you shouldn’t be driving.no more to it than that.i love autos as I only have 2 feet,so you don’t need 3 pedals,and it gives you another hand to look at your notes,txt someone,or butter your sarnies on the move,but id think if you pass in an auto you should be restricted to them with a bell around your neck for being a fanny that cant drive a normal truck.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldog999:
who cares…once you start a job,just find a gear to shudder the thing out of the yard,and figure it out down the road a bit when nobodys watching.crunch a few gears and do a bit of swearing.

Didn’t we all once do that when we started out?

mick.mh2racing:

dieseldog999:
who cares…once you start a job,just find a gear to shudder the thing out of the yard,and figure it out down the road a bit when nobodys watching.crunch a few gears and do a bit of swearing.

I did it last week in an ERF EC11 Olympic! :laughing:

mick.mh2racing:

dieseldog999:

Yep… Sed-Ak 401. Gardner 180, DB non syncro box & Eaton 2 speed axle… nervous-breakdown material if ya didn’t know / understand it :stuck_out_tongue:

albion1971:
When you take a truck test its usually in a 6 speed box with no range change or split.

Not anymore that changed quite a few years ago unless they have reverted back already.

All training vehicles have to have a range change or splitter for test purposes.

driving school in our yard is using a sixspeed daf for class two tests so appears to be incorrect info

Latique:

albion1971:

driving school in our yard is using a sixspeed daf for class two tests so appears to be incorrect info

Not supposed to now it changed as has been said

I’m pretty sure it has reverted back again now,

gov.uk/government/consultat … le-changes

Mentioned in section 6.2 this was a proposal in 2014 but I’m certain it did go through.

I learned in a 4 over 4 manual for my Rigid and glad I did.

simon1958:

mick.mh2racing:

dieseldog999:

Yep… Sed-Ak 401. Gardner 180, DB non syncro box & Eaton 2 speed axle… nervous-breakdown material if ya didn’t know / understand it :stuck_out_tongue:

Guy Big J with that motor/box/axle combo. I always thought (contrary to some opinions) the DB box was a lovely piece of kit.

NickW88:
I’m pretty sure it has reverted back again now,

gov.uk/government/consultat … le-changes

Mentioned in section 6.2 this was a proposal in 2014 but I’m certain it did go through.

I learned in a 4 over 4 manual for my Rigid and glad I did.

I cannot believe it has changed back again. It does not really make so much sense. They say it does not matter as drivers will be trained after they pass their test.
In reality I would think that does not happen very often. Saying that most pick up a range change or splitter box very quickly but you do get the odd one that really struggles and that could be dangerous in a loaded truck.

One day they might get things right. :unamused:

It’s funny though, I’ve only come across 1 rigid in my travels over the last few months that wasn’t a 6 speed and that was a ro ro Scania.

I do think they took many steps in the right direction by having to be loaded on test etc but still think if doing it in a manual it should be a range change. Not done artic yet so never come across a range change and a split but I understand the premise more. I’d be more wary of I’d gone for test in an auto rigid then had to drive a 4 over 4 for my first job!

pretty much every 30 + driver will have had to figure out the first real gearbox, I learnt in a stupid Leyland 6 speed thing went straight out with my old man fuller and was fine.

only box I struggled with was the good old twin splitter until I fathomed it out.

Even us old hands were blinkered when we started driving in a D Series Ford or a Bedford with a 4 or 5 speed box, the first time someone was sent out in a ZF, Fuller or David Brown equipped lorry there were an awful lot of neutrals and noises :slight_smile: