"Compliance" managers speaking rubbish

Had some right tosh from my (now thankfully ex) employer’s compliance bod in the last month or so, claiming that:

1: Weekly retorques of wheel nuts are a legal requirement (I know ■■■■ well that if you retorque them too often, you can strech or, worse, snap the studs). They are only usually carried out once the wheel has been refitted, and sometimes, a second one after 30 minutes.

2: He thinks that DVSA are doing a crack down on overspeeds at the moment (I know that overspeeding up to 60mph at least is NOT really against the law, and that the police or courts CANNOT prosectute for speeding just on tacho traces alone).

Anybody got a compliance bod who thinks he/she is God?

I can think of a couple on here who think they would be perfect at the job !!! No names, no pack drill but you know who you are …

Having lots of overspeeds doesn’t look great if they give you a tug, nothing illegal as you say but it might be that one little thing that the grumpy DVSA man needs to ruin your day. No such thing as doing right by the rules now, its all down to who’s tugging you and how he interprets them unfortunately.

“the police or courts CANNOT prosectute for speeding just on tacho traces alone”

They do in Germany. A double driver got fined for exceeding 100kph 3 times.He wasn’t driving when they got tugged.

Radar19:
Having lots of overspeeds doesn’t look great if they give you a tug, nothing illegal as you say but it might be that one little thing that the grumpy DVSA man needs to ruin your day. No such thing as doing right by the rules now, its all down to who’s tugging you and how he interprets them unfortunately.

It’s written down in their book!

Overspeed for 10 or more minutes by 10km/h or more, as that indicates a limit issue so would need further investigation

stevieboy308:

Radar19:

Overspeed for 10 or more minutes by 10km/h or more, as that indicates a limit issue so would need further investigation

Ve haf no hills in Germany zat take 10 minutes to get to ze bottom :smiley:

joe royal:
“the police or courts CANNOT prosectute for speeding just on tacho traces alone”

They do in Germany. A double driver got fined for exceeding 100kph 3 times.He wasn’t driving when they got tugged.

But the HGV speed limit on German Autobahns is (I believe) 80kph, the HGV limit on UK motorways is 60mph which is something like 98kph.

German speed limits from Wikipedia:

There is a general speed limit of 80 km/h (50 mph) for trucks with a GVWR over 3,500 kg and for vehicles with trailers. For vehicles with a GVWR of over 7,500 kg the limit is set to 60 km/h (37 mph) except on autobahns (also 80 km/h). For coaches and cars with trailers the limit is increased to 100 km/h on autobahns (under certain requirements). Posted speed signs for trucks are not common, they can be seen on some dangerous curves or descents.

Trucks over 3,500 kg are required to have a built-in speed limiter for a maximum speed of 90 km/h (56 mph), and buses for a maximum speed of 100 km/h (62 mph). There are a few exceptions for army, police, fire brigade or scientific purposes.

Garbo2018:
Had some right tosh from my (now thankfully ex) employer’s compliance bod in the last month or so, claiming that:

1: Weekly retorques of wheel nuts are a legal requirement (I know ■■■■ well that if you retorque them too often, you can strech or, worse, snap the studs). They are only usually carried out once the wheel has been refitted, and sometimes, a second one after 30 minutes. ?

Though probably not a legal requirement, pretty sure you’re supposed to check more regularly than when you refit a wheel and a second torque check shouldn’t just be sometimes but every time, either after 30 minutes or after about 50 miles.

Can’t really see how re-torqueing will stretch a stud if its already torqued up as the torque wrench will click and no force will will be put into the stud and if its loose then it needs to be tightened.
Of course if you check with a brace bar and scaffold pole that might change things.

Our compliance manager (tool for short) believes it is a legal requirement to zero your height marker when you’ve finished your shift (we use multiple vehicles a week). I nearly spat my coffee out!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:

stevieboy308:

Radar19:

Ve haf no hills in Germany zat take 10 minutes to get to ze bottom :smiley:

Your spelling is terrible

muckles:

Garbo2018:

1: Weekly retorques of wheel nuts are a legal requirement (I know ■■■■ well that if you retorque them too often, you can strech or, worse, snap the studs). They are only usually carried out once the wheel has been refitted, and sometimes, a second one after 30 minutes. ?

Though probably not a legal requirement, pretty sure you’re supposed to check more regularly than when you refit a wheel and a second torque check shouldn’t just be sometimes but every time, either after 30 minutes or after about 50 miles.

Can’t really see how re-torqueing will stretch a stud if its already torqued up as the torque wrench will click and no force will will be put into the stud and if its loose then it needs to be tightened.
Of course if you check with a brace bar and scaffold pole that might change things.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell, in the old days when some people used wheel braces and were er substantially built then stretched studs were a real possibility.

Nowadays for the retornq many companies are torque once, wait 30 torque again then done again after a certain time/distanc ehas been completed.

muckles:

I suppose the only thing that could be said is that a torque wrench will not show up a nut that has been overtorqued by someone doing exactly that with scaffold pole etc.

Ahh yes. Compliance Officers. We got told that 3-4m people would “lose their jobs because of Brexit” by none other than Cleggy back in 2016.

I really had no idea that there were that many “compliance officers” employed full time in this country by UK-based firms. :stuck_out_tongue: :neutral_face:

Garbo2018:
I know ■■■■ well that if you retorque them too often, you can strech or, worse, snap the studs

Utter bollox. If they’re the correct torque the torque wrench will click as soon as you start to move it. If they’re under-torqued then they’ll tighten to the correct torque. Even if the nut moves a fraction you’d be looking at a lot longer than the service intervals where the wheels are taken off before you’d over tighten it enough to be an issue.

I wouldn’t trust most drivers with a £300 plus torque wrench who would leave it in the yard, run over it or just generally abuse it.

If you need a call out for a headlight bulb, I’m sure I’m not going to put a skilled tyre fitter out of work.

joe royal:

One to many! 2 overspeeds in a 24 hour period are allowed

Conor:

Garbo2018:
I know ■■■■ well that if you retorque them too often, you can strech or, worse, snap the studs

Utter bollox. If they’re the correct torque the torque wrench will click as soon as you start to move it. If they’re under-torqued then they’ll tighten to the correct torque. Even if the nut moves a fraction you’d be looking at a lot longer than the service intervals where the wheels are taken off before you’d over tighten it enough to be an issue.

I would have thought that even a pompous buffoon such as yourself Conor would realise that it’s always possible even with a torque wrench to overtighten hot or even warm wheel nuts, you know, the scenario when a day man jumps out of a lorry and a night man immediately jumps in and checks the nuts for tightness!

If only there was some kind of periodical training available to weed out incompetents eh?

Garbo2018:
2: He thinks that DVSA are doing a crack down on overspeeds at the moment (I know that overspeeding up to 60mph at least is NOT really against the law, and that the police or courts CANNOT prosectute for speeding just on tacho traces alone).

My understanding of it (from DCPC instruction) is that the Police won’t try to prosecute but DVSA would, but I’ve not yet found anything in writing to corroborate that.

the maoster:

Conor:

Garbo2018:

I would have thought that even a pompous buffoon such as yourself Conor would realise that it’s always possible even with a torque wrench to overtighten hot or even warm wheel nuts, you know, the scenario when a day man jumps out of a lorry and a night man immediately jumps in and checks the nuts for tightness!

If only there was some kind of periodical training available to weed out incompetents eh?

Moaster, I very rarely agree or even bother to read his tosh, but on this occasion I have to go with Conor. When torquing any nut, when you arrive at that click, it means the nut is as it should be, at the right setting, retorquing a second time, it will just do the same thing as the first time, when you arrive at the click again it won’t tighten the nut any more as it will be at the right setting already…