Compassionate leave!

I had to ask for a day off last week to attend my grans funeral…

…When i got hold of the office they asked who it was who had passed away and said… No Problems!

…The funeral was on Thu so they said finish Wed mid afternoon and we’ll see u on Monday!

2 days FULLY paid free leave, (each day paid on an average daily rate of the last 15 worked days)

…I know they have to give u something but i feel my lot done good for me! Some people DO understand that us drivers have needs!

Thanks!

i think thats great, nice to know some firms care, my old firm said no problem you can have thurs off for the funeral but you can come in sat to make your 5 days up instead of booking thurs as a holiday. :unamused: :unamused:

When my brother was taken into thospital. the boss said take as much time as you need and swapped trailers with another driver to get me home.

He died the following Monday and I called work to tell them from the hospital.

2 hours after that my planner rang me to give me my work for the next day. I told him where to go instead.

A week later at the funeral my phone rang, it was my planner calling me to see when I was available for work.

Mr’s wheelnut handled that call quite well. I didnt know she could swear like that

I was at Widnes Truckstop when I got the ‘dreaded phone call’ from my sister. “Best get home asap as Mum has been rushed into hospital” I phoned my Boss at 1030 that night and he told me one of our drivers was down the road with a load for the yard (I was heading North). He told me to head for where Peter was and leave the trailer there with him and get me ■■■ back down south and home asap. As the boss had been so understanding, I offered to bring Peters trailer down with me which I did. Unfortunately I had to ring the boss next morning to let him know my Mum hadn’t made it and he told me to take as much time as I needed and just call him 2 days before I would be ready to come back. I have never forgotten that mans kindness, and no, I never made it back in time :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think on the whole most bosses know when it is genuine. I once worked at a place where we had one bloke where his mum died 3 times, his gran 4 times and so it goes on

He had the cheek to moan that the company didn’t give a monkeys about him yet everyone knew the real score. Its funny, they only ever died on a Monday or Friday!!

I know our gaffer would be very fair if the situation ever happened.

jdc:
I think on the whole most bosses know when it is genuine. I once worked at a place where we had one bloke where his mum died 3 times, his gran 4 times and so it goes on

He had the cheek to moan that the company didn’t give a monkeys about him yet everyone knew the real score. Its funny, they only ever died on a Monday or Friday!!

I know our gaffer would be very fair if the situation ever happened.

Little Johnny was always off school. His teacher had had enough and the next morning she took him to the headmaster.

Johnny Why were you not in school yesterday?

My grandad got burnt he replied.

So he should have gone to hospital, why were you not at school?

The headmaster asked if it was serious

He said “they dont ZB about in them crematoriums sir” :stuck_out_tongue:

It is strange how different companies react to family crisis, I have experienced the don’t give a [zb], attitude from a small family business, that you would expect to care, but when my Mum was terminally ill, the company I worked for who had a reputation of being job first driver second, were so supportive, and helped me through a tough time, time off was not a problem, and although I was basicly a tramper spent 3 weeks without a night out, and always a daily ask from management of how are things were going.
Sometimes the manager from hell can prove they are human.

Also think alot of it depends on the driver attitude. If you want time off for every little thing, then they are less likely to be understanding when some thing big comes along.

My boss is spot on, recently needed to take some time off at very short notice, whilst he was away. I warned him before he went off, and his reply was ‘Just park the truck up and take what time you need’ Which was good as the truck would be stood not earning whilst I was off.

But also at all the firms I have worked for, I have made it very clear that I will give 100% when I’m there, meaning I miss alot of parents evenings, school plays ect… But if I do need some time off for something serious then I take it. If they don’t like it then we will be parting company.

duracell:
It is strange how different companies react to family crisis, I have experienced the don’t give a [zb], attitude from a small family business, that you would expect to care, but when my Mum was terminally ill, the company I worked for who had a reputation of being job first driver second, were so supportive, and helped me through a tough time, time off was not a problem, and although I was basicly a tramper spent 3 weeks without a night out, and always a daily ask from management of how are things were going.
Sometimes the manager from hell can prove they are human.

I too work for a small company but the managers wife had a big cancer scare several years ago. I think this is always in the back of his mind when he has drivers asking for time off. He appreciates how he felt and will do his best to accommodate drivers requests.

I know not all TM’s are like this but at least ours does his best!

I needed time off last year when my sister in law died only wanted the day off he said no problem is that all you want

Yes he can be a bit of a pain at times but then cant they all
Mister nice guy dosnt get to the top

Wheel Nut:
Mr’s wheelnut handled that call quite well. I didnt know she could swear like that

I would imagine we’ve all seen that at first hand.

The first time my wife did it I didn’t know which surprised me most, the power she showed when she ripped the phone out of my hand, the sheer foul-mouthed venom she gave the guy on the other end, or the sweet caring feminine woman she reverted back to, just as though she’d flicked a switch.

Better to have her on your side than against you!

Stan