Companies with driver facing camera

adam277:

adam277:
Also I would never work for a company with cameras inside the cab. Same with working in a office. Yea, in an office environment a single camera monitors like 50+ people. But its not like each worker has a camera on their desk.

Just a little update I am a hypocrite.
I am booked for DHL for 2 weeks. first two days in a rental Mercedes Actros. Perfectly fine lol. so on the 2nd day agency asked if I wanted to be booked in next week as well. So I said sure.
3rd day! I get given the keys to a lovely Volvo 20 plate fully specd FH. (By far the best driving truck I have ever drove)
And it has a driver facing camera lol.

I will probably stick it out for the two weeks because I said I would do it and the job is really good. But prob wont be sticking around.
It’s funny, I spoke to some of the other drivers and they did not see it as an issue. Coming out with the same old tripe. “Well, if you got nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about”.

Bit of black tape over the lens. “Technical fault boss”

Gross invasion of privacy.

The argument “it’s for your own good” is ■■■■■■■■. It’s so the company can find a reason to blame you. If you so much as scratch your nose they’ll use it against you if it suits them to…

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I agree and the fact they may be listening as well is a worry, thankfully our trucks don’t have driver facing but do have 360 CCTV.

We get blamed regularly for knocking door mirrors off cars and catching bumpers etc its nice to have proof you didn’t do it.

Bin Man:

I agree and the fact they may be listening as well is a worry, thankfully our trucks don’t have driver facing but do have 360 CCTV.

We get blamed regularly for knocking door mirrors off cars and catching bumpers etc its nice to have proof you didn’t do it.

Nowt wrong with external cameras.

But cameras pointing at the driver? Nah.

Does anyone know where i can buy one of these gadgets…i bought the 12 spot lamps…the lights on the side and rear of the wind deflector, I bought a kangaroo catcher too and a set of loud airhorns…have just ordered a set of wheel trims ( bloody hell they’re expensive ) I also bought all the floor mats and engine covers too for my DAF…now the boss is gonna buy Volvos…just my luck…oh well…anyway back to the camera…the one I want has to only work during the time i`m off…not willing to pay more than £150. Would one of those doorbell thingys do the same job…asking for a mate. btw…this is a wind up…think they call em trolls nowadays…i cant keep up, its an age thing.

truckyboy:
Does anyone know where i can buy one of these gadgets…i bought the 12 spot lamps…the lights on the side and rear of the wind deflector, I bought a kangaroo catcher too and a set of loud airhorns…have just ordered a set of wheel trims ( bloody hell they’re expensive ) I also bought all the floor mats and engine covers too for my DAF…now the boss is gonna buy Volvos…just my luck…oh well…anyway back to the camera…the one I want has to only work during the time i`m off…not willing to pay more than £150. Would one of those doorbell thingys do the same job…asking for a mate. btw…this is a wind up…think they call em trolls nowadays…i cant keep up, its an age thing.

I think i saw your truck the other day.

adam277:

adam277:
Also I would never work for a company with cameras inside the cab. Same with working in a office. Yea, in an office environment a single camera monitors like 50+ people. But its not like each worker has a camera on their desk.

I am booked for DHL for 2 weeks. first two days in a rental Mercedes Actros. Perfectly fine lol. so on the 2nd day agency asked if I wanted to be booked in next week as well. So I said sure.
3rd day! I get given the keys to a lovely Volvo 20 plate fully specd FH. (By far the best driving truck I have ever drove)

I will probably stick it out for the two weeks because I said I would do it and the job is really good. But prob wont be sticking around.
It’s funny, I spoke to some of the other drivers and they did not see it as an issue. Coming out with the same old tripe. “Well, if you got nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about”.

Leather seats and a fridge is hardly fully spec’d. They are nice motors though the FH.

They didn’t have driver facing cameras on the 69 plate FH units we had from new.so between your comment and the other comment about UK mail (owned by DHL) having them looks they are being rolled out across DHL then by the sounds of it?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

simcor:

adam277:

adam277:

Leather seats and a fridge is hardly fully spec’d. They are nice motors though the FH.

They didn’t have driver facing cameras on the 69 plate FH units we had from new.so between your comment and the other comment about UK mail (owned by DHL) having them looks they are being rolled out across DHL then by the sounds of it?

Well, compared to the poverty spec Tesco Mercs and Co-OP Scania’s I am used to they are quite spec’d out lol.
I believe at my place the trucks are all 20 plate onwards and all have driver facing cameras. Apparently it is all done by AI. So if the AI thinks it sees you on your phone or something it will record it and send it to a manager or someone else to review. I have no doubt that they have a live feed though and people can watch you live.

adam277:

simcor:

adam277:

adam277:

Well, compared to the poverty spec Tesco Mercs and Co-OP Scania’s I am used to they are quite spec’d out lol.
I believe at my place the trucks are all 20 plate onwards and all have driver facing cameras. Apparently it is all done by AI. So if the AI thinks it sees you on your phone or something it will record it and send it to a manager or someone else to review. I have no doubt that they have a live feed though and people can watch you live.

That of course is true but they did try to hype up how well spec’d they were in an attempt at driver retention after getting mercs in for most depots that needed new trucks around 2017.

But yes I know one driver at one depot who has heard about them unofficially and several drivers at another depot that haven’t heard anything about them being rolled out.

I think DHL will be another company to lose some good drivers.

Do the 20 plates have dab on them at least? I was disappointed when ours came with big standard FM radio in this day and age lol
Mind I drive either crappy Daf,s now or hire Renault’s.

If hauliers were REALLY concerned about road safety, they would stop shifts that see drivers starting at silly o’ clock, they would cut out the fifteen hour working days and they would stop constantly ringing the driver on the cab phone all the time.

Many lorry drivers do stupid things on the road, because they are over tired by working patterns, feel under pressure and dare I say it, bored ■■■■■■■■ looking at the back end of the truck in front mile after mile. Do the sensible thing, pull up on the services to get some fresh air and a coffee to be a safer driver and the cab phone will ring asking why you have stopped.!!

Still think the driver facing cameras have a useful contribution to road safety?

LIBERTY_GUY:
If hauliers were REALLY concerned about road safety, they would stop shifts that see drivers starting at silly o’ clock, they would cut out the fifteen hour working days and they would stop constantly ringing the driver on the cab phone all the time.

Many lorry drivers do stupid things on the road, because they are over tired by working patterns, feel under pressure and dare I say it, bored [zb] looking at the back end of the truck in front mile after mile. Do the sensible thing, pull up on the services to get some fresh air and a coffee to be a safer driver and the cab phone will ring asking why you have stopped.!!

Still think the driver facing cameras have a useful contribution to road safety?

Totally agree. Drivers are pushed and pushed to the limits yet these companies go on and on about safety. Drivers need to turn round and say no on health and safety grounds from being expected to work long hours or max hours out every week.

simcor:

LIBERTY_GUY:

Many lorry drivers do stupid things on the road, because they are over tired by working patterns, feel under pressure and dare I say it, bored [zb] looking at the back end of the truck in front mile after mile. Do the sensible thing, pull up on the services to get some fresh air and a coffee to be a safer driver and the cab phone will ring asking why you have stopped.!!

Totally agree. Drivers are pushed and pushed to the limits yet these companies go on and on about safety. Drivers need to turn round and say no on health and safety grounds from being expected to work long hours or max hours out every week.

Couldn’t agree more. Driver facing cameras are an arse covering exercise for the company and have nothing to do with protecting drivers.

Busted by the camera.
fullyloaded.com.au/industry … sh-damages

Maybe the very companies that have the driver facing cameras - will end up paying the very top dollar for their newly recruited actual full timers, let alone any agency they might still need to get in to man the shortfall… :bulb:

I see Brakes, where I used to work - have upped their pay from 33k to 37k now - C2 work at that.
Mind you, it was always the C2 vehicles that had the cameras in them, not the artics I used to drive there.

There were also a solid base of hired C2 unliveried vehicles in use at Aylesford when I was there, and these don’t have the cameras in them of course.

Strangely, people didn’t go out of their way to be issued with such vehicles, as I would surely have done had I found myself railroaded into C2 work…

(I was given the choice of continuing at Aylesford on C2, work out of Harlow to retain my C+E job, or redundancy… I took the latter. :sunglasses:

DS Smith have them, only active if there’s a sudden event, harsh brake, collision etc.

Star down under.:
Busted by the camera.
fullyloaded.com.au/industry … sh-damages

Great news! Perhaps pay rates will go up for driver facing cameras, or no one will drive them.
But in this case it sounds like a fair outcome. Driver should have sought insurance against liability while performing illegal acts while driving (good luck finding that!)
Also a good reminder it’s not worth succumbing to pressure to miss breaks.

Truckulent:

adam277:

adam277:

Bit of black tape over the lens. “Technical fault boss”

The argument “it’s for your own good” is ■■■■■■■■. It’s so the company can find a reason to blame you. If you so much as scratch your nose they’ll use it against you if it suits them to…

Saw a fairly worrying vid-clip during my last dcpc crapathon.Showed a typical daily traffic scenario played out,the type experienced by truckers when in s-holes like Southall et al.Multi-ethnic driving habits you’d expect in say Mogadishu or Kabul,sudden emerges from side streets,languid pedestrian loiterings below your field of view when crossing the road, we’ve all seen it :angry: and the driver-facing-cam displayed a very bizarre graphic display,akin to the HUD on an F16 jet-fighter,lots of squiggly lines responding in real time to every twitch of the drivers eyeball in relation to other road-users.Very dodgy terrain we’re in with all this clever-dickery.Having nothing to do with it myself,the Rubicon has been truly crossed with this ■■■■.

Bin Man:

Terry T:
I was talking to a Great Bear driver on the services t’other day and he said their vehicles have them. Which is disappointing as they’re offering a gnats knacker under £40k near me these days.

I know newer DPD units have them but from what I’ve been told they have to pay another company to view the footage so no pointy shoes in the office spying on you for no good reason.
I’ve heard Wren Kitchens have live feed cams in theirs so I’d stay away from them.
Ocado have them. Not sure if live feed.
Maritime but no live feed.

When you park up for a break are you able to turn the camera off?

Edit to add -
Privacy
You MUST take privacy seriously. Obviously, this applies to the use of the footage itself, so you must only use the footage for the purpose it was originally intended. You could find yourself fined for improper use of camera footage. However, there is a more practical aspect with regard to camera placement. If there is an expectation of privacy at specific times, for instance when the driver is resting on a long-distance trip, then the camera must either automatically switch off when the engine is not running, or the placement must be such that it does not cover the areas of the cab where drivers take their rest.

at wren kitchen you cannot switch them off, then have front, rear, n/s, and o/s cameras, which record at all times, they also have cameras in the de-mountable boxes, all cameras except for the front cam and cab camera don’t record voice/sound however the others do. There is a camera monitor in the cab that will allow you to see all camera footage live and this can been switched off as it’s quite a distraction. These cameras are checked at least twice a day in which employees have been told off for not wearing high viz in the back of the box or hard hat. also, the cab camera is only pointed at the driver’s seat not like it makes any difference as you are in a two-man team so you cant even sit in the passanger side while you have your break.

Put tape over the lense

AV1D:
at wren kitchen you cannot switch them off, then have front, rear, n/s, and o/s cameras, which record at all times, they also have cameras in the de-mountable boxes, all cameras except for the front cam and cab camera don’t record voice/sound however the others do. There is a camera monitor in the cab that will allow you to see all camera footage live and this can been switched off as it’s quite a distraction. These cameras are checked at least twice a day in which employees have been told off for not wearing high viz in the back of the box or hard hat. also, the cab camera is only pointed at the driver’s seat not like it makes any difference as you are in a two-man team so you cant even sit in the passanger side while you have your break.

At Wren Kitchens the cameras are all live and they have people monitoring the drivers, I worked there for a while and was ■■■■■■ off when the assistant rang me up to say “could you put two hands on the wheel please” Wren is a terrible place to drive for, never again.