Companies with driver facing camera

Is it a sackable offence for driver-facing camera to meet sticky tape?

I’m OK with the truck being monitored 360 deg. OUTSIDE, but pointing at ME? Hell no.

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” — Benjamin Franklin.

idrive:

PhilMc:
I used to drive for food logistics company whose name Rhymes with ‘Flakes’ and they had ‘in cab driver facing cameras’ they wasn’t too happy when we (drivers) covered them up with coffee cups [emoji1745]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone hear the story about this company involving a manager, a female driver, some double manned overtime, an in cab camera, a bout of post overtime guilt/realisation, an illegal accessing and deletion of camera footage, a later claim that overtime was non-consensual, and a dearth of evidence to prove the contrary…?

I am bound to secrecy and dare not say [emoji2958]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That link, in lancpudn’s post, to Amazon in cab cameras in the US is simply shocking.

I was just reading an article about next generation in car cameras, would anyone object to an Alkolock in their next vehicle. Blow in the tube before the vehicle will start, if there is a camera, they can check it is actually the driver blowing and not some professional teetotal decoy.

It might be big brother but would do wonders for accident investigation and prevention.

the maoster:
^^^^ ever increasing incidences of lorry crashes. Ever increasing use of driver facing cameras.

Doesn’t seem to be having the desired effect does it?

Cameras are not fitted to stop accidents, its a tool to record sound and visuals to apportion blame after an event.
And to decide who is going to get the bill and a prison cell if you have killed somebody.

It’s a tool for minimising loss.

Not for spying on you picking your nose.
The only footage anybody will be looking at is the 30 seconds before impact to see if they are liable.

use a name:

the maoster:
^^^^ ever increasing incidences of lorry crashes. Ever increasing use of driver facing cameras.

Cameras are not fitted to stop accidents, its a tool to record sound and visuals to apportion blame after an event.
And to decide who is going to get the bill and a prison cell if you have killed somebody.

The only footage anybody will be looking at is the 30 seconds before impact to see if they are liable.

If only that reassuring version were the case, and why a bloke i’ve known for decades got the push from one of the smaller supermarkets for chomping on an apple, no accident no incident no harsh brake none of the myriad of reasons they could have given for watching, maybe some holier than thou reported him.

use a name:

the maoster:

I was with you until the last paragraph, because what you said up to then is accurate…
As for the rest,…Aye just you keep believing that mate.

Juddian:

use a name:

the maoster:

If only that reassuring version were the case, and why a bloke i’ve known for decades got the push from one of the smaller supermarkets for chomping on an apple, no accident no incident no harsh brake none of the myriad of reasons they could have given for watching, maybe some holier than thou reported him.

My knowledge comes from selling camera kits face to face to hauliers i did that job for 3 years for Digraph Tspt supplies. 2015/2018.

If the bloke told you he was caught eating an apple and sacked he was unlucky.
But it wasn’t the apple that sacked him it was the event that triggered the camera to record at that moment.
Once that happens somebody watches the event.

They also scroll to other events to see if it’s a pattern of behaviour it all tells a story .

Like i said cameras don’t stop accidents that’s the drivers responsibility .
A lot can’t be trusted.

^^^^^;^
So you’re talking of ‘‘event triggering’’ type cameras,.which are bad enough on the driver facing side of things, I thought we were on about the constant feed with potential constant surveillance/snooping type.

Wheel Nut:
I was just reading an article about next generation in car cameras, would anyone object to an Alkolock in their next vehicle. Blow in the tube before the vehicle will start, if there is a camera, they can check it is actually the driver blowing and not some professional teetotal decoy.

It might be big brother but would do wonders for accident investigation and prevention.

I’m thinking the true cowboys would find a way to bypass it, just as they did with magnets on the gearbox, and dodgy adblue override devices.

“Paddy! Paddy wake up fer ■■■■’s sake! You’re taking this load here to Kiev! Paddy! Ah be Jasus and all that’s holy, he ■■■■■■ again. Here Paddy, take this magnet, and this balloon filled with child’s breath”

use a name:

Juddian:

use a name:

the maoster:

My knowledge comes from selling camera kits face to face to hauliers i did that job for 3 years for Digraph Tspt supplies. 2015/2018.

If the bloke told you he was caught eating an apple and sacked he was unlucky.
But it wasn’t the apple that sacked him it was the event that triggered the camera to record at that moment.
Once that happens somebody watches the event.

They also scroll to other events to see if it’s a pattern of behaviour it all tells a story .

Like i said cameras don’t stop accidents that’s the drivers responsibility .
A lot can’t be trusted.

The problem comes in that out in the real world when an event happens, people who shouldn’t have been authorised to view footage, are, next thing it’s been passed around and their mates (incl other drivers) are sniggering over it huddled round the screen, most of us will have seen this happen at some point in various places we work.
This is how supposedly protected footage finds itself on published on internet video platforms.

Doesn’t bother me as such because i’ll never work anywhere with driver facing cameras, and yes we rejected them and they stay rejected, but it is an issue when in theory every bloody tom ■■■■ and harry could be watching a colleagues dying moments.

robroy:
^^^^^;^
So you’re talking of ‘‘event triggering’’ type cameras,.which are bad enough on the driver facing side of things, I thought we were on about the constant feed with potential constant surveillance/snooping type.

I’d rather have something in the cab that could potentially exonerate me than have to rely on a witnesses testimony.
Constant or event recording will do.

I can’t say for definite that somebody in every transport office is monitoring a driver every minute of every day .
I should think its easier to go to the event time and see what occurred.
The rest of the footage is meaningless unless the collision investigation team trawl through it and find repeated offences if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident.

Your GPS your speed over the routes you travel all data to paint a picture.
For or against you.

If I’m like any other driver behind the wheel , singing, picking my nose etc I’m fairly sure it would make boring viewing.

A lot of the camera footage is outsourced to companies mainly in India.
The event is e-mailed to the relevant company.
Then your company view it.

Then the police release it after court proceedings are completed if its a particularly bad accident.

Being watched is part of every day life.
Is very rare you go anywhere without cctv even your house or neighbours have a camera outside.
Telematics assess your driving.
Braking etc everything is monitored .

Opening your doors grille lifted everything can and is monitored .

I understand robroy about the privacy side of things but without being disrespectful to you no-one cares in the insurance company, they have to make sure they are not liable.
It’s out the hands of transport companies and firmly in the hands of the insurance.

The world’s changed into a surveillance world.
There is no stopping it.

youtu.be/IYswFyhcUZ4

No offence mate but unreserved acceptance of such things, followed by drivers like yourself repeating the so called ‘virtues’ told to them by co.bosses, in their efforts to ‘‘sell’’ the idea to us. is the main reason the rest of us have to put up with such crap. :bulb:

If I’m repeating myself, it’s because it’s a while since I’ve been on this thread.m.and I cba to scroll back through it.

Delete - duplicate.

robroy:
No offence mate but unreserved acceptance of such things, followed by drivers like yourself repeating the so called ‘virtues’ told to them by co.bosses, in their efforts to ‘‘sell’’ the idea to us. is the main reason the rest of us have to put up with such crap. :bulb:

If I’m repeating myself, it’s because it’s a while since I’ve been on this thread.m.and I cba to scroll back through it.

If the truck has external 360 degree cameras there should be no reason to have the internal one, if the police believe the driver caused the accident its for them to prove it not for the driver to prove he didn’t, these things are an invasion of privacy i would not work for a company that uses them.

Can you imagine the uproar if the government announced all cars have to have them fitted so they can see if the driver was doing something illegal when they had a crash.

Whistl and Uk Mail have driver facing cameras. Lytx drivecam they’re called.

A UK Mail site manager I talked to about it when i worked there said anyone with the login password can remotely watch any of the drivers in real time. I did a bit of research into it and he’s right.

Turners have them on their fridge, container and curtainsider fleets (some of the powder tankers too, but most of the tanker fleets remain untouched). Jack Richards. Bibby Distribution. Clipper Logistics. Most of the PD ports fleet.

And these morons wonder why nobody wants to work for them. These cameras are a demonstration of how much of a piece of crap your employer thinks you are. Life is short. Why waste your life working for someone who values you so little.

adam277:
Also I would never work for a company with cameras inside the cab. Same with working in a office. Yea, in an office environment a single camera monitors like 50+ people. But its not like each worker has a camera on their desk.

Just a little update I am a hypocrite.
I am booked for DHL for 2 weeks. first two days in a rental Mercedes Actros. Perfectly fine lol. so on the 2nd day agency asked if I wanted to be booked in next week as well. So I said sure.
3rd day! I get given the keys to a lovely Volvo 20 plate fully specd FH. (By far the best driving truck I have ever drove)
And it has a driver facing camera lol.

I will probably stick it out for the two weeks because I said I would do it and the job is really good. But prob wont be sticking around.
It’s funny, I spoke to some of the other drivers and they did not see it as an issue. Coming out with the same old tripe. “Well, if you got nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about”.

A company I used to work at, installed driver facing cameras in all the trucks.
Went down with the drivers like a lead balloon.

Initially the management were just going to install the cameras without informing the drivers :open_mouth: Told them if I was a driver, that would really p!ss me off.

So a driver brief was carried out at all the depots.

At one briefing, a driver raised a very valid point.

Does the camera have a mircophone on it?

Apparently the cameras did, so an agreement was reached that all the cameras had the sound muted.

The driver’s concern was if he was on break, making a personal call and possibly using a debit or creditcard, could anyone hear him reading the numbers out.

So be careful when making private calls in vehicles with camera in them.

A company I used to work at, installed driver facing cameras in all the trucks.
Went down with the drivers like a lead balloon.

Initially the management were just going to install the cameras without informing the drivers :open_mouth: Told them if I was a driver, that would really p!ss me off.

So a driver brief was carried out at all the depots.

At one briefing, a driver raised a very valid point.

Does the camera have a mircophone on it?

Apparently the cameras did, so an agreement was reached that all the cameras had the sound muted.

The driver’s concern was if he was on break, making a personal call and possibly using a debit or creditcard, could anyone hear him reading the numbers out.

So be careful when making private calls in vehicles with camera in them.