Companies with driver facing camera

I used to drive for food logistics company whose name Rhymes with ‘Flakes’ and they had ‘in cab driver facing cameras’ they wasn’t too happy when we (drivers) covered them up with coffee cups [emoji1745]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry T:
I was talking to a Great Bear driver on the services t’other day and he said their vehicles have them. Which is disappointing as they’re offering a gnats knacker under £40k near me these days.

I know newer DPD units have them but from what I’ve been told they have to pay another company to view the footage so no pointy shoes in the office spying on you for no good reason.
I’ve heard Wren Kitchens have live feed cams in theirs so I’d stay away from them.
Ocado have them. Not sure if live feed.
Maritime but no live feed.

When you park up for a break are you able to turn the camera off?

Edit to add -
Privacy
You MUST take privacy seriously. Obviously, this applies to the use of the footage itself, so you must only use the footage for the purpose it was originally intended. You could find yourself fined for improper use of camera footage. However, there is a more practical aspect with regard to camera placement. If there is an expectation of privacy at specific times, for instance when the driver is resting on a long-distance trip, then the camera must either automatically switch off when the engine is not running, or the placement must be such that it does not cover the areas of the cab where drivers take their rest.

Terry T:
I know newer DPD units have them but from what I’ve been told they have to pay another company to view the footage so no pointy shoes in the office spying on you for no good reason.

There’s a bit of a bureaucratic downside to this. Say if a TM took the SD card out and had a look because of a harsh brake, or something, he might see his favourite driver Dave eating a packet of crisps, and think “ah yeah but it’s Dave, he’s a good sort, I’ll ignore this”.

But an external company wouldn’t see Dave, the good sort, they’d see a “non-compliance incident”. When they provide the incident report to the company, if the company is a large one with a large structure, it could be an area manager two rungs higher than the TM who receives it. He probably wouldn’t directly know Dave from any other driver, and makes the decision to sack Dave. The TM therefore has to sack his favourite driver, who may have otherwise been a good driver.

Terry T:
Maritime but no live feed.

Some now are. I got chatting to one of their drivers who said an article appeared on their internal intranet site titled “We are not watching you”. It was in response to lots of drivers complaining that they could be randomly watched. Maritime said that though their cameras are now viewable remotely and instantly, this was “for the driver’s own protection” and gave an example that “in the event of an accident, a manager can log on to view the situation”.

So that’s alright then.

These cameras really are a case of the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. We collectively now have the power to hold these companies to ransom and get them ripped out for good. If only we could get organised as a nationwide collective, and get it done.

Drivers who fail to react appropriately to the road conditions, ending up embedded into the lorry in front of them or worse ploughing into a line of stationary traffic are the sole reason for driver facing cameras.

Yes I know car drivers cutting you up, swerving to avoid an obstacle etc are all out of your control but reading the road and looking ahead seem to me to be a thing of the past.

I’ve been driving lorries since 1989 .
Never seen or read about so many accidents involving lorries over the last couple of years.

I searched for fatal lorry crashes today , it made for grim reading something is amiss considering the technology in the cab.

Cameras are hear to stay.

^^^^ ever increasing incidences of lorry crashes. Ever increasing use of driver facing cameras.

Doesn’t seem to be having the desired effect does it?

ezydriver:
These cameras really are a case of the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. We collectively now have the power to hold these companies to ransom and get them ripped out for good. If only we could get organised as a nationwide collective, and get it done.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
You’ve got more chance of platting fog.

Apparantly they send alarms to whoever runs it if it sees you head at a funny angle - so if you are leaning over to move a song on or look at your phone you are marked for death.

Terry T:

no, they have outward facing cams in 66 plates onward.

Is this just an American thing or is it worldwide for Amazon drivers concerning Ai powered cameras? technologyperk.com/amazons-ai-p … port-says/

ezydriver:
So, the list so far:

Maritime

Bibby have them. Whether Menzies carry it on, their new owners, dunno.

PhilMc:
I used to drive for food logistics company whose name Rhymes with ‘Flakes’ and they had ‘in cab driver facing cameras’ they wasn’t too happy when we (drivers) covered them up with coffee cups [emoji1745]

What did the company do?

internetfan:
It would be good if we could create a list of companies with driver facing camera, for those that would not want to work for such companies (me including) and for those that do like having a camera looking at them, so they could start applying for job with the right companies.

I haven’t yet come across one, but I’ve heard Maritimes have driver facing camera, not sure if it’s the case.

Why create a list? Why not just ask when you see the advert then decide whether to apply or not? You can’t honestly be trying to suggest that there are people out there who are interested in working ONLY for companies that have inward facing cameras, nor that you are suggesting this in order to help people?

Why not just ask when you see the advert then decide whether to apply or not?

Do you think if you rang the company who placed the advert and asked if they have driver facing cameras they would answer you?

alright now:

internetfan:
It would be good if we could create a list of companies with driver facing camera, for those that would not want to work for such companies (me including) and for those that do like having a camera looking at them, so they could start applying for job with the right companies.

I haven’t yet come across one, but I’ve heard Maritimes have driver facing camera, not sure if it’s the case.

Why create a list? Why not just ask when you see the advert then decide whether to apply or not? You can’t honestly be trying to suggest that there are people out there who are interested in working ONLY for companies that have inward facing cameras, nor that you are suggesting this in order to help people?

No, blindingly obvious its so those of us don’t want to work for such companies don’t have to waste our time going through an application process, only to find when you finally go for an assessment or interview you find out they fit driver facing cameras, so all that was a waste of time and effort and possibly lost money whilst going through that faff, intheory you could easily start work in no one aditted they use such devices and find half the fleet were so fitted and half not, or they were about to have them fitted.
Some of us ain’t going to work for companies fitting these, end of.

Bin Man:

Do you think if you rang the company who placed the advert and asked if they have driver facing cameras they would answer you?

Yes? Why wouldn’t they answer? I’m pretty sure they don’t want to waste time interviewing someone who wouldn’t want to work there any more than you’d want to waste your time going for a job with someone you wouldn’t want to work for?

Juddian:

alright now:

internetfan:

No, blindingly obvious its so those of us don’t want to work for such companies don’t have to waste our time going through an application process, only to find when you finally go for an assessment or interview you find out they fit driver facing cameras, so all that was a waste of time and effort and possibly lost money whilst going through that faff, intheory you could easily start work in no one aditted they use such devices and find half the fleet were so fitted and half not, or they were about to have them fitted.
Some of us ain’t going to work for companies fitting these, end of.

Thank you for answering on behalf of the OP. Actually I don’t care whether people want to work for companies fitting these devices or not, it’s a personal choice and I think people should make their own minds up. My point is simply that anybody can pick up the phone and ask questions about things that might be deal breakers without taking a day off, and without a list on just one being created. If I felt so strongly about something I’d check before applying. That’s all I’m saying

There is something called social media pressure, when these companies get named and find the volume and possibly the quality of applicants dry up, and when someone in their admin points out it just might have something to do with being named for the wrong reasons on a lorry driver’s forum…well put it this way it can’t do the case for those who won’t comply any harm.

We hear through the grapevine that a few operators have removed the trash because drivers won’t apply and they’re finding out this is the reason, good.

People who are happy to be watched, by all means thats fine too, just don’t be surprised when the next level of surveillance appears.

alright now:

Bin Man:

Yes? Why wouldn’t they answer? I’m pretty sure they don’t want to waste time interviewing someone who wouldn’t want to work there any more than you’d want to waste your time going for a job with someone you wouldn’t want to work for?

They may only record when you are driving not 24/7 so saying yes over the phone may put applicants off better to say they do not go into details about how they operate and all aspects of the job will be discussed at interview especially if they are desperate.

rambo19:

PhilMc:

What did the company do?

Hit us with threats of disciplinarians and stuff.
Most of us just said we’d covered em up on our breaks and forgot to take em off [emoji1745]

PhilMc:

Anyone hear the story about this company involving a manager, a female driver, some double manned overtime, an in cab camera, a bout of post overtime guilt/realisation, an illegal accessing and deletion of camera footage, a later claim that overtime was non-consensual, and a dearth of evidence to prove the contrary…?