Companies from towns&villages along A65 Skipton to Kendal

jackslad:
[at tachment=0]Photo0282.jpg[/attachment] Now then how many old boys on here have been through here.

Milnthorpe.
Cheers Malc.

malc step:

jackslad:
[at tachment=0]Photo0282.jpg[/attachment] Now then how many old boys on here have been through here.

Milnthorpe.
Cheers Malc.

You’ve Failed so ■■■■ off back to Ingleton !! Cheers Dennis.

In this spot again,could be the last time after iv’e been goin 30 odd years,i think its on borrowed time now.think its only open 2 or 3 days a week now.

Have to go here now,milnthorpe closed.ex milnthorpe lad tester though.

J Pelter & Sons Ltd- GUY.jpg

Hi Folks,
Just got this photo from mate Rob Taylor to start this topic.It was ex M.R.Clark Kirkgunzeon Dumfries.
They were based at masongill nr Ingleton. Keep the photos and stories flowing.
Cheers Malc.

Do you remember Howarth Brothers from Ingleton? They had a fleet of ERF’s and were bought out by Safegard Storage.

I remember Howarth Bros,they ran tippers as well,always looked smart.
Wasn’t there a cafe near their yard,going back into the late 60s?

malc step:
Hi Folks,
Just got this photo from mate Rob Taylor to start this topic.It was ex M.R.Clark Kirkgunzeon Dumfries.
Cheers Malc.

Hiya Malc! snap this is a shot of a Seddon I bought ex M R Clark 6LXB/DB 6spd/Group it was fairly new when we got it and it was a smooth little motor.Dennis.

Ste Burrow:
Do you remember Howarth Brothers from Ingleton? They had a fleet of ERF’s and were bought out by Safegard Storage.

Question for Malc ---- who was “Buttons” I used to hear David Howarth talking about him but never met him!! Dennis.

Chris Webb:

I knew ■■■■ and David Howarth very well and there was one quirk they had that always sticks in my mind and that was the same wheel centres always remained on the same hubs of the vehicle they came new with!!!I think the Cafe you are on about Chris was called The Three Peaks! Dennis.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

I knew ■■■■ and David Howarth very well and there was one quirk they had that always sticks in my mind and that was the same wheel centres always remained on the same hubs of the vehicle they came new with!!!I think the Cafe you are on about Chris was called The Three Peaks! Dennis.

I can’t remember the name of the cafe Dennis but Three Peaks sounds about right as there used to be a Three Peaks Walk from Ingleton.
I know the cafe was open on New Year’s Day 1969 because two of us,both in Reivers,stopped there going back to Sheffield after tipping electrodes at Workington,we decided on the scenic route home :laughing:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

I can’t remember the name of the cafe Dennis but Three Peaks sounds about right as there used to be a Three Peaks Walk from Ingleton.
I know the cafe was open on New Year’s Day 1969 because two of us,both in Reivers,stopped there going back to Sheffield after tipping electrodes at Workington,we decided on the scenic route home :laughing:

Those were the days Chris no extended christmas holidays in them days! Christmas day & Boxing day then back to the grindstone eh!! Dennis.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Those were the days Chris no extended christmas holidays in them days! Christmas day & Boxing day then back to the grindstone eh!! Dennis.

Correct Dennis.We loaded for about dinnertime New Year’s Eve and ran to Workington,parked in the mill where the contractors were working,found that the canteen was open then walked miles to a boozer,returning and cabbing it ready to tip next morning.I also worked the Boxing Day as well,taking a load of stainless bars to Turner’s Gearbox place near Wolverhampton. :laughing:

Bewick:

malc step:
Hi Folks,
Cheers Malc.

Hiya Malc! snap this is a shot of a Seddon I bought ex M R Clark 6LXB/DB 6spd/Group it was fairly new when we got it and it was a smooth little motor.Dennis.

Malc, Bewick have a look on Big Als truck stop, click on guests and their trucks then scroll down and you will see a MR Clarks Seddon, the guy in front is Dave Landsborough who later went on to work for Woodsides working out of Preston.

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,
There were two cafes on the A65 from skipton towards kendal both on the left side.
The first one was The Three Peaks then after the filling station was the Sunset Cafe.
At that time Howarths were based at Laundry Lane Garage which backed onto the A65
on the opposite side to the Sunset next to William Baines at the Imperial Garage.
After the Sunset closed Howarth Bros rented the yard for a time 1973/4 until they
bought the old Lunesdale Farmers site down next to the Masons Arms pub.The site
is now Daleswear Outdoor clothing outlet.
Cheers Malc.

Bewick:

Ste Burrow:

Question for Malc ---- who was “Buttons” I used to hear David Howarth talking about him but never met him!! Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
"Buttons " was just another star driver he also happens to be one of my many brothers
who drove for them also one of my sisters in law worked in the office.He drove that
truck TWX 754R from new.
He now has Alan Stephenson & sons Coaches based at station yard Cowan Bridge where
David Bradshaw & Son used to operate from.
Cheers Malc.

malc step:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,
There were two cafes on the A65 from skipton towards kendal both on the left side.
The first one was The Three Peaks then after the filling station was the Sunset Cafe.
At that time Howarths were based at Laundry Lane Garage which backed onto the A65
on the opposite side to the Sunset next to William Baines at the Imperial Garage.
After the Sunset closed Howarth Bros rented the yard for a time 1973/4 until they
bought the old Lunesdale Farmers site down next to the Masons Arms pub.The site
is now Daleswear Outdoor clothing outlet.
Cheers Malc.

Thanks Malc.I think it must have been the Sunset where we stopped as I remember Howarth’s yard was very close by.It was long time ago - over 40 years.It was a road I only used a few times because it was a bind at the bottom end below Skipton either taking the A629 to Halifax and Huddersfield or the A650 through Keighley,Bingley and Shipley into Bradford and down to Wakefield onto the A61 to Sheffield.It made a change,that’s all :laughing: .

malc step:

Bewick:

Ste Burrow:

Hi Dennis,
"Buttons " was just another star driver he also happens to be one of my many brothers
who drove for them also one of my sisters in law worked in the office.He drove that
truck TWX 754R from new.
He now has Alan Stephenson & sons Coaches based at station yard Cowan Bridge where
Cheers Malc.

Thanks for that Malc yea I now remember there were a few of you wern’t there ! Boy you don’t know how close you all came to joining the Bewick Group what did you think at the time? Dennis.

Bewick:

malc step:

Bewick:

Ste Burrow:

Hi Dennis,
truck TWX 754R from new.
Cheers Malc.

Thanks for that Malc yea I now remember there were a few of you wern’t there ! Boy you don’t know how close you all came to joining the Bewick Group what did you think at the time? Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
Ha Ha ! Dennis i think two of us must heard you were about when we loaded
your trailers when you helped us with large orders so we jumped ship in the
late 70"s
Cheers Malc.