Companies from towns&villages along A65 Skipton to Kendal

malc step:

Bewick:

malc step:

Bewick:

Ste Burrow:
Do you remember Howarth Brothers from Ingleton? They had a fleet of ERF’s and were bought out by Safegard Storage.

Question for Malc ---- who was “Buttons” I used to hear David Howarth talking about him but never met him!! Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
"Buttons " was just another star driver he also happens to be one of my many brothers
who drove for them also one of my sisters in law worked in the office.He drove that
truck TWX 754R from new.
He now has Alan Stephenson & sons Coaches based at station yard Cowan Bridge where
David Bradshaw & Son used to operate from.
Cheers Malc.

Thanks for that Malc yea I now remember there were a few of you wern’t there ! Boy you don’t know how close you all came to joining the Bewick Group what did you think at the time? Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
Ha Ha ! Dennis i think two of us must heard you were about when we loaded
your trailers when you helped us with large orders so we jumped ship in the
late 70"s
Cheers Malc.

David did say that he’d got shot of a few “dead legs” at the time they wanted me to takeover !!! We had an ex Howarth lad came to us later Andy ■■? didn’t swear or sup much but he was a good lad for us all the same ! Cheers Dennis.

Chris Webb:

malc step:

Chris Webb:
I remember Howarth Bros,they ran tippers as well,always looked smart.
Wasn’t there a cafe near their yard,going back into the late 60s?

Hi Chris,
There were two cafes on the A65 from skipton towards kendal both on the left side.
The first one was The Three Peaks then after the filling station was the Sunset Cafe.
At that time Howarths were based at Laundry Lane Garage which backed onto the A65
on the opposite side to the Sunset next to William Baines at the Imperial Garage.
After the Sunset closed Howarth Bros rented the yard for a time 1973/4 until they
bought the old Lunesdale Farmers site down next to the Masons Arms pub.The site
is now Daleswear Outdoor clothing outlet.
Cheers Malc.

Thanks Malc.I think it must have been the Sunset where we stopped as I remember Howarth’s yard was very close by.It was long time ago - over 40 years.It was a road I only used a few times because it was a bind at the bottom end below Skipton either taking the A629 to Halifax and Huddersfield or the A650 through Keighley,Bingley and Shipley into Bradford and down to Wakefield onto the A61 to Sheffield.It made a change,that’s all :laughing: .

Hi Chris,
A bit further north you would have come through Cowan Bridge past A.Bradshaws yard
on left now a clothing outlet.David Bradshaw has just lent me a few photos to drip
feed onto site.
Cheers Malc.

Commer petrol

Albion

malc step:

Chris Webb:

malc step:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,
There were two cafes on the A65 from skipton towards kendal both on the left side.
The first one was The Three Peaks then after the filling station was the Sunset Cafe.
At that time Howarths were based at Laundry Lane Garage which backed onto the A65
on the opposite side to the Sunset next to William Baines at the Imperial Garage.
After the Sunset closed Howarth Bros rented the yard for a time 1973/4 until they
Cheers Malc.

Thanks Malc.I think it must have been the Sunset where we stopped as I remember Howarth’s yard was very close by.It was long time ago - over 40 years.It was a road I only used a few times because it was a bind at the bottom end below Skipton either taking the A629 to Halifax and Huddersfield or the A650 through Keighley,Bingley and Shipley into Bradford and down to Wakefield onto the A61 to Sheffield.It made a change,that’s all :laughing: .

Hi Chris,
A bit further north you would have come through Cowan Bridge past A.Bradshaws yard
on left now a clothing outlet.David Bradshaw has just lent me a few photos to drip
feed onto site.
Cheers Malc.

Commer petrol

Albion

Hiya Malc can’t you get David to come on the site his-self as I guess he could relate many a tale of an old haulier!!! Dennis.

Hi Chris,
feed onto site.
Cheers Malc

Commer petrol

Albion
[/quote]
Hiya Malc can’t you get David to come on the site his-self as I guess he could relate many a tale of an old haulier!!! Dennis.
[/quote]
Hi Dennis,
He was going home to get his lad to look on this site. When i give him his photos back
i will tell him. But as he is still operating this machine he might not have time to
work a computer.

P.S I think he said he bought a vehicle from you.
Cheers Malc.

Bewick:

malc step:

Chris Webb:

malc step:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,
Cheers Malc.

Hi Chris,
feed onto site.
Cheers Malc.

Commer petrol

Albion

Truckfing’s putting the A65 motors on the wrong site!! He must have had a hard day in a Lay-by somewhere!!! However while I havn’t got a photo of this particular haulier I think he will qualify as the Closest operator to the actual road! His name was W. (Bill) Barnes and his little garage was on the left-hand side of the road at Oxenholme on the way to Kendal and was a former chapel that he made into his garage and when he washed his waggon the water ran down the gutter on the A65!! However he never ran down the A65 as he worked between Manchester and Glasgow and hauled Atlas Express north and Beatties biscuits south. His last motor was an ex K.Fell Scammell 8 wheeler 150LX with a Kendal coachworks box body.He got this motor after he had just smashed his brand new (1 week) AEC Marshal up in 1972 on the A6 south of Carlisle. Bill had terrible eye-sight and had ran slap bang into the back of another motor and was lucky to survive.When all said and done he was a real character if ever there was one it was an education listening to him!! Bewick.

Oops, where have I put them Dennis? It must have been a senior moment.

FOUND THEM, at least they are not a million miles out on the Lancaster thread.

Dawsons of Hellifield…! think i remember them having Iveco turbo stars… always big engines… think they were mainly tippers…white with red lettering !

truckfing:
Oops, where have I put them Dennis? It must have been a senior moment.

FOUND THEM, at least they are not a million miles out on the Lancaster thread.

Got to keep the threads in order Truckfing!! You were only in the next county though so it will be treated as an oversight this time . Back to the drawing board lads !! Bewick.

gunnerheskey:
Dawsons of Hellifield…! think i remember them having Iveco turbo stars… always big engines… think they were mainly tippers…white with red lettering !

You’ve got me thinking now Gunner,I thought they were red with white lettering.I think they ran Atkis at one time,tippers as you say and there was a photo on here somewhere of one.
Anyway somebody will put us both right if we are wrong. :laughing:

Chris Webb:

gunnerheskey:

You’ve got me thinking now Gunner,I thought they were red with white lettering.I think they ran Atkis at one time,tippers as you say and there was a photo on here somewhere of one.

Hiya Chris I knew the late Bill Dawson fairly well as we both raced Harness horses in the 70/80/90s and the annual Hellifield harness races were held on his land at Peel Park and still is as far as I know.Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

gunnerheskey:

Hiya Chris I knew the late Bill Dawson fairly well as we both raced Harness horses in the 70/80/90s and the annual Hellifield harness races were held on his land at Peel Park and still is as far as I know.Cheers Dennis.

Thanks for that Dennis,have you got any pics of Dawson’s tippers to put me and Gunner out of our misery?
:smiley:

Now Bewick, if you knew Bill Dawson perhaps you could shed some light on this.

Had a driver who had worked for Dawsons in the 70s, and he used to tell of a trial vehicle they ran for Atkinson. Now he insisted that it was a 1975 Borderer fitted with a prototype E290 big-cam. I always had difficulty in swallowing this story, although to be fair Ernie wasn’t a romancer, nor a duck-egg; in fact he was actually a time served mechanic, but it still seemed a bit far fetched to me. I just wondered if you knew anything.

What about Cowgills from Skipton,they had a big fleet of tippers at one time.

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

gunnerheskey:

Thanks for that Dennis,have you got any pics of Dawson’s tippers to put me and Gunner out of our misery?
:smiley:

Sorry Chris I haven’t ! My interest in photographing motors didn’t stretch to other fleets I’m afraid.Cheers Dennis.

acd1202:
Now Bewick, if you knew Bill Dawson perhaps you could shed some light on this.

Had a driver who had worked for Dawsons in the 70s, and he used to tell of a trial vehicle they ran for Atkinson. Now he insisted that it was a 1975 Borderer fitted with a prototype E290 big-cam. I always had difficulty in swallowing this story, although to be fair Ernie wasn’t a romancer, nor a duck-egg; in fact he was actually a time served mechanic, but it still seemed a bit far fetched to me. I just wondered if you knew anything.

Hiya acd1202 my connection with Bill was only ever through our shared interest in Harness racing and we were both in different types of haulage Bill in tippers and Bewick in primary distribution in the Paper and food industries.We did have the same Tyre supplier though and occaisionally Bill and I discussed fuel prices but that was it! However I am pleased that neither Bill nor I were Steel hauliers as I may have brought down another S**t storm on my head !!! Regards Bewick.

That wasn’t a s**t storm Bewick, just provoking a little debate.

acd1202:
That wasn’t a s**t storm Bewick, just provoking a little debate.

Well said "acd1202 How about me creating a new thread for the gadgy’s about Penrith? I obviously struck a chord!! Lets see if I can get the orchestra going wink, wink, say no more! Cheers bewick.

Hi Folks,
A Bradshaw again

loading lime at Wimpeys old quarry at crag bank carnforth

Frank Bradshaw,Tommy Briscoe(ingleton)Fred Helme(kirkby lonsdale)

Tommy Briscoe,Fred Helme.

All the old ones abit newer next time.
Cheers Malc

Any photos of Cowgills - they were an A65 outfit - Skipton. :laughing:

What about WG Taylor who ran Leyland tippers from Skipton.