Hi Folks,
Anyone remember this show J and A transport from Hellifield
did this part.

Cheers Malc.

Hi Folks,
Photo from Bob Walker Hellifield.

Cheers Malc.

Hi,

Here’s a couple of old photos I took of two of Longthorne’s motors (brand new at the time) displayed at various truck shows (can’t remember which ones).

Seddon Aktinson Strato 465

Note: Not a bad looking motor; although I had the misfortune of working on a number of high mileage old Stratos (■■■■■■ Engines - Eaton Twin Splitter Gearbox) that Bibby Distribution ran (or more than often recovered). My preferred tool for this model was a big hammer; followed by a few expletives!!!

Foden 8x4

Note: The Dogs Bo*****ks

Cheers

Simon

malc step:
Hi Folks,
Photos from Derek Wolfenden,

Hope i’ve not duplicated any this time.

Cheers Malc.

Really smart looking motors, especially the later big cab R113M (a classic now).

Thank you Malc and Derek.

Kind regards

Simon

Hi Simon
I drove for Bibby Distribution out of Yeadon, On Roadtrains and Strato’s… The Roadtrains were quite troublesome, but I can’t remember a Strato breakdown in the three years I was on them…

Jerry

Truck Traveller:
Hi,

Here’s a couple of old photos I took of two of Longthorne’s motors (brand new at the time) displayed at various truck shows (can’t remember which ones).

Note: Not a bad looking motor; although I had the misfortune of working on a number of high mileage old Stratos (■■■■■■ Engines - Eaton Twin Splitter Gearbox) that Bibby Distribution ran (or more than often recovered). My preferred tool for this model was a big hammer; followed by a few expletives!!!

Foden 8x4

Cheers

Simon

jerry truckartist:
Hi Simon
I drove for Bibby Distribution out of Yeadon, On Roadtrains and Strato’s… The Roadtrains were quite troublesome, but I can’t remember a Strato breakdown in the three years I was on them…

Jerry

Truck Traveller:
Hi,

Foden 8x4

Cheers

Simon

Hi Jerry,

To be fair I did work on them in the mid-late nighties (with a boat load of mileage), so perhaps I’m being a little too critical. I worked for Chatfields of Leeds at the time and whilst I thought Leyland Roadtrains were rubbish too; my opinion is probably clouded by the fact that I loved the old DAF’s (3600 etc) and preferred the DAF 95 to the Strato.

I’ve looked at your pictures and you’re obviously a very talented artist as well as driver (Eaton twin split! :wink: ).

Kind regards

Simon

Thanks for the comments Simon
Regarding the Strato’s your probably right mate, I was away from there in 93, so the oldest on the fleet were only 3 or 4 years old,The depot also had its own workshop and wrecker when I left, but not long after that, I think all the servicing and repairs were done at Chatfields. We had 1 DAF at yeadon, an early 95. F295CJA, was a space cab 350ati ,
It seemed to be put together better than the Seddon’s, but it did suffer a few problems with ECAS, remember running with it on a couple of occasions when the rear suspension on the unit developed a mind of its own, As for the Twin splitter, I loved them…

Thanks

Jerry

Cheers Jerry,

You’re right; the early DAF 95’s certainly did have their fair share of faults (Air suspension and a gear linkage set up from hell; just too name a few). My heart quite often rules my head on such matters (i.e. I like Alfa Romeo’s).

Eaton twin splitter, once mastered a lot of drivers liked them (better when loaded I’m led too believe).

Kind regards

Simon

Hi Folks,
W. Baines Ingleton

Cheers Malc.

malc step:
Hi Folks,
W. Baines Ingleton

0Whats charlie Thwaites doing now Malc?Cheers Tony.

Cheers Malc.

scaniaontheroad:

malc step:
Hi Folks,
W. Baines Ingleton

Whats charlie Thwaites doing now Malc?Cheers Tony.

Cheers Malc.

Hi Tony,
Truck on the right of photo.

Did you receive our lads email address?

Cheers Malc.

Hi Folks,
Bibby’s of Ingleton

Cheers Malc

good photos sam the volvo looks well but it should at only 11 months old its the daf that still stands well though with being long wheelbase the bodys still straight as well not bad for 16 year old cant beat a wilcox body, daf versus volvo i know what youll be thinking see you, bibs

malc step:

scaniaontheroad:

malc step:
Hi Folks,
W. Baines Ingleton

1Whats charlie Thwaites doing now Malc?Cheers Tony.

Cheers Malc.

Hi Tony,
Truck on the right of photo.

Did you receive our lads email address?

Cheers Malc.

I did and i sent him a email,but not sure if he got it or not,thanks malc.

Hi Malc,

Have you any more pics of Longthornes you could post, older the better.

Cheers
Mark

roadcommander2:
Hi Malc,

Have you any more pics of Longthornes you could post, older the better.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,
There’s a couple further back on this site and these next ones
but they are fairly new!!

Cheers Malc.

Hello Mark,

Apologies if you already know, but it maybe of some interest to other members, Longthorne’s do have their own website with two Gallery pages showing pictures of some of their old motors; which I found pretty interesting.

Go to: http://www.web-cell.co.uk/longthornes/

Kind regards

Simon

BIBS:
good photos sam the volvo looks well but it should at only 11 months old its the daf that still stands well though with being long wheelbase the bodys still straight as well not bad for 16 year old cant beat a wilcox body, daf versus volvo i know what youll be thinking see you, bibs

Hi Bibs,
Look on the UK drivers forum at the DAF XF 105 thread and look
at Muckaways reply.He’s a expert tipper driver.
Cheers Malc.

Hi Malc and Simon,

Thanks for the pics Malc and thanks for the link to Longthornes Simon, there are some interesting pics there for sure.

Cheers Mark