Companies from towns&villages along A65 Skipton to Kendal

Hi Folks,
A few more of Howarth Bros on fire fighting duties

Cheers Malc

Hello all,

A couple of old photographs of my Grandad (Stanley Robinson) with his brand new Commer CC Maxiload back in 1966

I’m lead to believe it was one of the first Aluminium Livestock bodies Houghton’s built.

The photo’s are taken at Halton West (near Hellifield).

Kind regards

Simon

Houghtons were always top notch,if you’ll pardon the pun.We had Fox of Lancaster,they never broke but that corrugated ally was not good to get clean.

nil

Hi.
Anyone Remeber these hauliers from the 40’s/50’s and earlier. P E Roberts, Ingleton. 3 smart gray tippers. J W Morphet, calf dealer Ingleton, 2 Austins.
Tommy Staveley, Ingleton, Cattle transport. 1 Seddon. Clem Bibby & Son, Ingleton, milk transport, 2 Seddons & 1Austin, (first wagon I drove).
Bill Jones, Ingleton. T & G Midleton, Ingleton, coal merchants. George Knowles, Westhouse, coal merchant. XL Granite had several 7 ton Bedfords.
O Patzelt, (a German) had a smart green Leyland Octopus tipper, on contract to Grenwoods quarry, Helwith Bridge, I think? Jack Wagget, Burton, knackerman, Ford A type. Joe Winn, Blacksmith, Bentham, 2 tippers, mainly on contract to Settle R D C, taken over by Steve Armsrong? Millers Bentham, milk transport. Tommy Slinger, Bentham, hay & sraw merchant. Bob Cowin, Bentham, livestock transport, 5 wagons. Jim Pedley, livestock, 2 wagons at one time. Tommy Hargreaves, Newby, general haulage. Jim Parkin, Eldroth, farmer & livestock, 1 Commer 15 mile radious B licence. Taken over by Carter Dent, Settle. Bill Coates, Settle, Coal merchant & haulage. Settle Limes Ltd, 1 Foden two stroke, 2 A E C’s tippers. Stainforth Haulage, several wagons, bought out by Howarth’s Ingleton. John Rushton, Long Preston, 2 Austins. Norman Hartley & son, Kirkby Lonsdale, 2 cattle wagons. Pelters, Wittington several tippers.
When Adam Lithgoe opened Ribblehead quarry they had several contractors working for them, carting and spredding lime, the ones I can remember are,
Doug Chapman, Rob Mitton, both Ingleton, and Fred Richards, Bentham.
I think thats enough for now. I am sure you will remember many more.
Regards Dalesman.

boden:
Houghtons were always top notch,if you’ll pardon the pun.We had Fox of Lancaster,they never broke but that corrugated ally was not good to get clean.

Hi. Yes that alloy was bad to clean. I remember going to Ambrose Fox’s to have jobs done, after unloading at the Lancaster livestock market when it was at the top of the town near the hospital. Fox’s workshop was on the canal side, across from where B & Q is now, or somewhere near. He made a lot of wooden bodies before Houghtons started useing alloy. The Stanley Robinson,s Commer body could be the first Houghton alloy, or an early one as it has a wooden front to the luton, and top side rails. Also it has no lift off brackets on the sides, as seen on most of their later bodies.

Regards Dalesman

Houghtons were/are the finest builders of cattle boxes in the UK–bar none!! This is a shot of the last of 3 horse boxes they built for me and it was their basic design with the height adjusted for the horses having a higher profile than cattle.Ours also had side unload and a grooms door on each side.The inside was fitted out with both 4 “herring bone” stands or two stands facing forward as well as two full width breast bars if needed,as we only ever carried a max of two horses.The box on this Iveco was also kitted out with 4 adjustable legs so we could lift the container off and use the motor as a flat in the fleet(although we never did,only for MOT) I don’t think at the time we had the boxes built at Houghtons that they were something that Mike Houghton would want to build as they were into mass production methods and one off’s like these would have been a nuisence to them.However because we were friends,and we only wanted a more or less standard box he very kindly obliged on three occaisions!!This last box was a 30 footer.

malc step:
Hi Folks,
A few more of Howarth Bros on fire fighting duties

Cheers Malc

Hi Folks,
A674 CEC with another axle on

Cheers Malc

Hi Folks

Lishmans Ingleton

Cheers Malc.

Bewick:
Houghtons were/are the finest builders of cattle boxes in the UK–bar none!! This is a shot of the last of 3 horse boxes they built for me and it was their basic design with the height adjusted for the horses having a higher profile than cattle.Ours also had side unload and a grooms door on each side.The inside was fitted out with both 4 “herring bone” stands or two stands facing forward as well as two full width breast bars if needed,as we only ever carried a max of two horses.The box on this Iveco was also kitted out with 4 adjustable legs so we could lift the container off and use the motor as a flat in the fleet(although we never did,only for MOT) I don’t think at the time we had the boxes built at Houghtons that they were something that Mike Houghton would want to build as they were into mass production methods and one off’s like these would have been a nuisence to them.However because we were friends,and we only wanted a more or less standard box he very kindly obliged on three occaisions!!This last box was a 30 footer.

Hi Folks,
A couple of William Baines,

Cheers Malc.

Hello everyone,

A few more photo’s of Derek Wolfenden’s Scania.

Note: Task Trailer at full tilt.

Note: After tipping the load; I practiced my reversing before the long journey home (only kidding Derek :wink: ). I still can’t reverse now!

Note: But before I set off I needed to make a phone call to Hong Kong (kidding again Derek :laughing: ). It was dead flash back then.

Note to myself: Turquoise pants have never been a good look (be careful what you wear :blush: ).

Cheers

Simon

I thought you had good taste in lorries till i saw the Iveco Dennis ,they usually come in 2s you buy 1 ya get 1 free !!!

Bewick:

Bewick:

ramone:
I thought you had good taste in lorries till i saw the Iveco Dennis ,they usually come in 2s you buy 1 ya get 1 free !!!

Bewick:

Bewick:

How did you guess “ramone”? Yea I sold the other one and got my money back so the one in the photo stood me in at nothing!!! It never carried a load in anger,always had the box on it’s back!!Dennis.

Joking apart we had quite a few Turbostars and TEC Cabbed units around 1989 - 1990 and they were doing Italy weekly and the engines were bullet proof We had a V8 480 which was something else at the time and the 360`s could pull,only problem was everything else fell apart and the cabs were very cramped

ramone:
Joking apart we had quite a few Turbostars and TEC Cabbed units around 1989 - 1990 and they were doing Italy weekly and the engines were bullet proof We had a V8 480 which was something else at the time and the 360`s could pull,only problem was everything else fell apart and the cabs were very cramped

Iveco were always trying to persuade me to run their tractors and very kindly,twice,placing 6 month demos FOC into the fleet,but when we were running 80 Scanias together with a sprinkling of Volvo/Merc/Renault their chances were “slim” and “none”!!!The 4 wheeler Iveco cost me £22000 as a “Demo” which should have been on an “F” plate but I hung on to put it on the “G”! They were going mad at Walton Summit Truck Centre as Iveco had demanded it be registered as an “F”! I’d paid for it so they could “Foxtrot Oscar”.The equivalent Scania was going to cost me £33000!Cheers Dennis.

you get what u pay for Dennis,the Ivecos were cheap but there was a reason for that,we got shut of the last Strallis last year where i work and they were BAD.I now work and have done for the last 5 years in charge of the maintenance and compliance side (redundancy looms tho) and the Ivecos were in the garage every day ,warning lights i.e abs/ebs low/high oil lights always something and the most ludicrous of all you had to tilt the cab to put oil in them.Their salesman and the DAF 1 too tod me you couldnt buy new vehicles with dipsticks under the grill.We took delivery of 5 new Scanias in march with dipsticks under the grills and 4 Volvos are coming next month with the same spec.The drivers we have cant change a light bulb so tilting a cab is a no go

Truck Traveller:
Hello everyone,

A few more photo’s of Derek Wolfenden’s Scania.

Note: Task Trailer at full tilt.

Note: After tipping the load; I practiced my reversing before the long journey home (only kidding Derek :wink: ). I still can’t reverse now!

Note: But before I set off I needed to make a phone call to Hong Kong (kidding again Derek :laughing: ). It was dead flash back then.

Note to myself: Turquoise pants have never been a good look (be careful what you wear :blush: ).

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,
Three pics from Derck’s photo album he loaned me,

For a owner driver he must have had more Demo’s than Dennis (bewick)!!!

Cheers Malc.

Shrewd Business Men; Malc :wink:
Many thanks
Simon