comments please

hi im 21 years of age. i need your comments to be truthfull i live with my parents and i have 3000 saved up for hgv which is booked next month but i feel like its holding me back from holiday abroad and getting a house with my girlfriend now i work as a material handler for lear pArt off nissan earing between 300 to 400. a week and i hate factory work what shud i do hgv for a better career or house and holiday please be truthfull :smiley:
dont mind spelling it was a quick write …

Do you have any experience with hgvs

none at all i have passed my theory and medical

If you want to work in a factory forever (which you hate, remember), then sure blow the money on the holiday, come back, and go back to your factory work, and think WTF did I do that…
Regarding the house with girlfirend; having a lump sum of cash doesn’t really help long term with this goal, as eventually that runs out and your income (or combined if she works) needs to be able to pay the rent and living costs.

I’m hoping you really passionately want to drive HGV, as otherwise the 3 grand could be well used for other training / qualifications depending on your interests.

Honest opinion - you have a good situation right now, cheap living, and decent savings. Invest in getting qualified, whether HGV or something else.

Well since you have already passed your theory and medical I would say keep going and worry about the holiday later hgv driving Isn’t the best paying job but you should be able to save for a house or go on holidays but I sure some of the experience drivers will be able to give you a better answer

Take your lorry test m8 ,trust me dont stop in a factory and a good bird will be ok and a holliday can wait, :wink: :wink:

Invest in your future. Holidays can wait. The only problem’s you might have is your age (a lot of companies only take on 25+) & of course experience, but if you don’t do it now, you’ll never do it because you will ■■■■ that 3 grand up the wall on a 2 week holiday, then you will need to start saving again.

Go on a cheap English holiday for a couple of hundred quid, then on the Glitzy Expensive Holidays when you’ve got something under your belt.

Stay with Mum & Dad for as long as possible & save like there’s no tomorrow, when you move out, you’ll easily spend that £400 per week & most of your Girlfriends dosh.

A lot of Driving jobs these days include Saturday & Sundays (often at a premium rate, but not all !) so make sure that the G/F is happy about that. I personally hate working Sundays & only do the occasional Saturday morning, it’s the only real time I get with the Mrs, most weekdays we don’t get home until 7ish (if I get home at all) then it’s a quick dinner & bed for 9 only to be up at 4 or 5 for the next day.

The money can be there if you get in with a good company & you are willing to work for it, but if you like your time off & like to be home at the same time every day it’s a probably not the career for you.

Why do you think driving is a better career, working maybe 84 hours a week or living in a truck and only being at home 45 hours a week for maybe only the NMW if you can find a job with no experience. Take the money and train for something else if you don’t like the job your doing but stay away from trucks.

thanks for the coments… yes there is jobs were u your not home every day but there also is like shunting jobs i live in the northeast were a big part off us is with nissan or around nissan like me now get in the wagon with them your talking at least 11. 13. pound an hour or there is yearsly group i seen a job for 27500 for a monday to friday job witch is livable up here …

Assuming you work mon to fri in the factory then get the licences and do 1 day every other weekend driving which is allowed under the regulations

That way you will have invested in the future with another string to your bow and have the opportunity to recoup some of the money you paid for the training as well as getting a little experience

But how many of those jobs paying £13 per hour in the north east need drivers and will give a new driver a job. If it’s something you really want to do then go for it but you say you are now getting up to £400 per week how many hours are you doing for that then read some of the posts on here and see how many hours some drivers are doing for not much more. I am in my mid 50’s and been driving for a good few years but have now got a job on the railway and just waiting for the start date because of what the job has become.

yeah thats a good idea rog i have been working 6 out of 7 days a week and i only get over 400 if i work night shift that including sun to thurs with a sat day in and im assuming hgv drivers are on better paided than factory worker i just like the thought of been by my self and not seening the same ■■■■■■■■ day in day out who treat you like a number a fish in the sea and not a person no disrepect… i did joinery in college but a trade is never a safe job to be in really.

A trade such as joinery is much better than being a driver. If you work for a big company they will not even know your name, the only reason drivers get more pay is because they work more hours.

thats true mac but if i did i would have to start off on a appertice on 4 pound odd an hour id be lost wudnt be able to afford my car witch is on lease …

I’d say go for it. You’ve done ya med and theory, so mite aswell carry on. I find you have to have some form of passion for driving and trucks to be able to make yourself a good hgv driver. Ive been on hgvs for the past 14 years and ive done recovery work before that and also a hgv repairer when i left school, so getting into driving them was a natural progression. Granted some people do the job just because it brings in a wage, or because they couldn’t see them selves doing anything else, i.e. office work, factory work. And others do it for the love of the open road and not havin someone breathing down their neck every 5 seconds. Your age will put a few hurdles in your way, but persistence pays off if an employer finds you keen enough, but dont expect to be handed the keys to the company’s flashest motor straight away, that mite only happen when you’ve gained the respect and trust of your boss, which can often take years. There will be days when you think to yourself, “what have i done?”, but the good days will often out weigh the bad. Other motorist’s will ■■■■ you off, deliveries will sometimes take ages to do and as for traffic?, well thats something you will get used too…!!!

simpsonsboy:
… witch is on lease …

Can you lease wizards as well :wink: :laughing:

Sorry - could not resist

ROG:

simpsonsboy:
… witch is on lease …

Can you lease wizards as well :wink: :laughing:

Sorry - could not resist

hahah that was a gooden :slight_smile:

yer i love driving this might sound sad and pathetic to some people but when i go on a travel and i see a good view that maybe i might not see again i get my gf to take a picture haha … :laughing:

simpsonsboy:
yer i love driving this might sound sad and pathetic to some people but when i go on a travel and i see a good view that maybe i might not see again i get my gf to take a picture haha … :laughing:

Thats a good thing then. You will see plenty of sights along the way, both unbelievably good and unbelievably bad. But they are still sights you won’t see doing any other sort of job. Also getting your license opens up the possibilities of many different types of work, ADR, STGO, tankers, hiab, transporters etc etc. You wont always settle into certain job’s, but you will know when you’ve found the the one that suits you. There is no such thing as “the perfect job” in hgv work, altho i think ive found mine, you will eventually find yours. Good luck fella, and remember, “Persistence pays off”.

thank you very much and thats what im planning on doing after and if i pass my ADR thats my aim anyways :slight_smile: