Comart Europa Int. Tspt - Dedicated to Wheeler

Willie Roadstar:
Terry Lewis in Marabor Yugo

Is the Guy with the shorts on the Dukes driver?

Good afternoon.

I guess the photo is earlier than 1975 because as far as I recall there were no Hinos on the fleet during my time at Comart, 1975 to 1978. And the livery changed to dark blue and white during that period.

Is the unit in the foreground a non-sleeper Scania? A subcontractor?

Regards,
PTT (retired)

part-time-trucker:
Good afternoon.

I guess the photo is earlier than 1975 because as far as I recall there were no Hinos on the fleet during my time at Comart, 1975 to 1978. And the livery changed to dark blue and white during that period.

Regards,
PTT (retired)

Hi PTT

Hope you’re keeping well, think the Hinos were 73/74 didn’t keep them long - nobody wanted to drive them, apparently according to Steve Baddeley, one / or all has 180 Gardner engine in it !!

Yes think the Scania was a subbie, don’t know who though, don’t recognise the colours

Cheers
Ant

Maribor early 80s.

Just catching up on this wonderful thread. As has been said by many before, these lads were pioneers in many ways. The equipment and the rudimentary facilities bear that out. The most noticeable thing about Wheeler and the boys is that they genuinely went everywhere. I never really thought of myself as an International Driver until I got my blue book. Comart seemed to be a decent and well organised outfit, the letter from the office to Wheeler in the German hospital speaks volumes. RIP chaps.

Paul

Willie Roadstar:

part-time-trucker:
Good afternoon.

Regards,
PTT (retired)

Hi PTT

Hope you’re keeping well, think the Hinos were 73/74 didn’t keep them long - nobody wanted to drive them, apparently according to Steve Baddeley, one / or all has 180 Gardner engine in it !!

Yes think the Scania was a subbie, don’t know who though, don’t recognise the colours

Cheers
Ant

Hi Ant,

I had heard the story of the Gardner Hinos before, but I cannot recall when.

Yes I am well thank you, keeping up with the events of the outside world from the safety of my laptop!

Keep in touch,

Stephen

part-time-trucker:

Willie Roadstar:

part-time-trucker:
Good afternoon.

Regards,
PTT (retired)

Hi PTT

Cheers
Ant

Hi Ant,

I had heard the story of the Gardner Hinos before, but I cannot recall when.

Yes I am well thank you, keeping up with the events of the outside world from the safety of my laptop!

Keep in touch,

Stephen

PS Please say Hi to Steve from me next time you come across him.

Hi all

Russel Baggely ( Bills son) sent me these photos recently, 1 st one in Munich where my Dad came off the bridge, 2nd one Dads chassis after crash - the others of another accident in Italy don’t know the driver ?

Shame this thread has gone quiet it was a great thread.

DEANB:
Shame this thread has gone quiet it was a great thread.

Hi Dean

Not been on here for a good while, switched over to the Facebook sites, however they are doing my head in so have dropped Facebook for a while, I will look back at the photos I’ve collected over the last few years and post on here to give it a boost

Cheers Ant

Willie Roadstar:
“DEANB” Shame this thread has gone quiet it was a great thread.

Hi Dean

Not been on here for a good while, switched over to the Facebook sites, however they are doing my head in so have dropped Facebook for a while, I will look back at the photos I’ve collected over the last few years and post on here to give it a boost

Cheers Ant

Ant, Heres one hot of the press Paul sent me this one today of a Comart F89 :smiley:

DEANB:

Willie Roadstar:
“DEANB” Shame this thread has gone quiet it was a great thread.

Hi Dean

Cheers Ant

Ant, Heres one hot of the press Paul sent me this one today of a Comart F89 :smiley:

Hi Dean,

Brilliant - that’s my Dads old motor, but doesn’t look like him driving, may have been when he had stopped to his new F10

Thanks for posting
Cheers
Ant

Some of you may know this lorry, had a quick look around her yesterday . A credit to the hard work of the lads at diamond freight. An absolute stunner…

6B6D6304-E8A4-4C14-ACB7-9E21168EC174.jpeg

What model of volvo is this Is it a F89 is it a F88 290 left hand drive is it a F88 240 made to look like F88 290 left hand drive No mater what it is looks great to me :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Seen on FB today,
Apologises if already posted.
Taken i believe by Anthony Williams.

283751612_3178824385664760_8127121363554188437_n.jpg

281123373_3178822165664982_4920659341775898348_n.jpg

283385575_3178824212331444_4506474870252448776_n.jpg

Another photo of the HINO

034045CB-1FEC-47BB-BFCD-36CD2707827B.jpeg

COMART ?

Hi All,

Following on from the thread ’ International in the 70’s & 80’s I 'd like to dedicate this thread to my Dad ‘Wheeler Williams’ who passed away 12 years ago, He drove for Comart’s from the begining until 1981, when he unfortunately had an accident in Munich, which put an end to his driving career.
He started on International in 1970 for Berisfords and then moved to Comarts in 71, I spent all of my childhood travelling with him when I could and carried on the tradition, by becoming a driver and doing International for a numbe of years myself. I’m now in Trucksales Consultant for Iveco, so I’m still in the industry, even though not driving

Hope you enjoy the pic’s and the memories, if you remember him, please feel free to share any memories

(Thread & Photos re edited after Trucknet forum upgrade feb 09)

The last one is me age 10, learning to drive a truck in Antwerp 76

Thanks all,
Ant (Little Wheeler)

great pic’s another long forgotten firm, nice to see the top of a "michelin "man in one shot ! thanks for the memories