Comart Europa Int. Tspt - Dedicated to Wheeler

Just to let anyone know who worked with my dad Ron bates on comart ,and moorlock past away on Wednesday 17th September joining all the other drivers he worked with up there R.i.p dad

Hiya
very sad news…rip Ron…
John

Hi Andrew
Sorry to here that, RIP Ron, when is the funeral ? I’ll let Lee know
Regards
Ant

Hi All
Well just when I thought there’s no more photos out there this turns up on Facebook - posted by an Italian guy - Alberto Milano who I must say as made my day
Many thanks to Alberto for this photo - his only Comart photo taken in Aosta in 1974

Happy Days
Regards
Ant

Willie Roadstar:
Hi All
Well just when I thought there’s no more photos out there this turns up on Facebook - posted by an Italian guy - Alberto Milano who I must say as made my day
Many thanks to Alberto for this photo - his only Comart photo taken in Aosta in 1974

Happy Days
Regards
Ant

Well done Ant! Nice detective work. And thanks to Alberto. A magnificent picture, and an exciting find! Cheers. Robert :slight_smile:

Happy days indeed!

Is that the ERF you were looking for Robert? Can anyone make out the registration?

Kind regards,

Steve

part-time-trucker:
Happy days indeed!

Is that the ERF you were looking for Robert? Can anyone make out the registration?

Kind regards,

Steve

Well, that ERF with the 5MW is surprise, but it still leaves the mystery of this one with the 7MW cab! Robrt :laughing:

Hiya…I think thats good news Robert. if the owner of the 5 mw was happy with the performance its
likely he’d buy a European…Comart did run 2 other ERF,s with fiber glass cabs one which caught fire on
the blanc. ive not seen a photo of that one but remember it had a roof extension of about 5 inches it may
have been the first space cab as it was a 1967 (E) reg with a 180 ■■■■■■■■ then there was one that
turned over near Trentham gardens.the 5mw is a great photo.
John

3300John:
Hiya…I think thats good news Robert. if the owner of the 5 mw was happy with the performance its
likely he’d buy a European…Comart did run 2 other ERF,s with fiber glass cabs one which caught fire on
the blanc. ive not seen a photo of that one but remember it had a roof extension of about 5 inches it may
have been the first space cab as it was a 1967 (E) reg with a 180 ■■■■■■■■ then there was one that
turned over near Trentham gardens.the 5mw is a great photo.
John

The two other Comart ERFs you mention are both shown on this thread and were LVs, John. MVT 736E was the one that caught fire and KVT 216K was the one that turned over. I rather like your line of thinking that if the 5MW liked his unit he’d be encouraged to upgrade to a 7MW (NGC)! Robert :smiley:

Hiya Robert its a pity there,s not a photo of mvt before the fire it shows how someone tried to make more
room in the cab. it looked very odd to us who was working with these cabs everyday. it looked like someone
lifted the roof up about 5 inches. then made a filler panel to keep out the weather.(ha ha) i know a chap who
did driver her at one time and traveled to the middle east in her. he does’n’t seem to want to talk about those
days now.
John

It is with great sadness that I have to announce the loss of another ex Comart Driver Bill Baggeley - Bill passed away Wednesday morning after a long battle with Alzheimer’s
Condolences to Bills family
R.I.P Bill

Regards
Ant

Have a good run home Bill, and enjoy your time up there with all the other good guys.

RIP

Stephen

Ant.

Just read this entire thread over the past week or so, :wink: You’re Dad was trailblazing whilst I was still plodding around the UK although I did join in the fun in the early 80’s (A series with pigeon coop) and later on all through the 90’s and 00’s.(B’s to E’s) I doubt if I met your Dad but did meet many like him in a time when nobody thought they were doing anything out of the ordinary, it was just a job. But it was fun, most of the time, there were some great mates and much beer but most of all it was better than working for a living.
Many thanks for sharing your family memories, some forward thinking history/geography teacher should consider using it in their course work for postwar European studies, your dad has as much right to a mention in history books as Francis Raleigh and Walter Drake.

zzarbean:
Ant.

Just read this entire thread over the past week or so, :wink: You’re Dad was trailblazing whilst I was still plodding around the UK although I did join in the fun in the early 80’s (A series with pigeon coop) and later on all through the 90’s and 00’s.(B’s to E’s) I doubt if I met your Dad but did meet many like him in a time when nobody thought they were doing anything out of the ordinary, it was just a job. But it was fun, most of the time, there were some great mates and much beer but most of all it was better than working for a living.
Many thanks for sharing your family memories, some forward thinking history/geography teacher should consider using it in their course work for postwar European studies, your dad has as much right to a mention in history books as Francis Raleigh and Walter Drake.

Hi Ted,

Glad you enjoyed it - very kind words thank you - you’re very true in what you say - the difference in driving these days is that it is seen as a job and not a vocation - I’m sure like many if the clock could be turned back, we would all do,it again - sadly that will never happen - you may not have passed my Dad, but probably passed me, as I followed in Dads footsteps and did a few years myself late 80s early 90s - great days

Regards
Ant

Ant,

Found this in a 1970s truck mag, this has been one of my favourite threads ,lets hope someone finds some
more photos to keep it going !

DEANB:
Ant,

Found this in a 1970s truck mag, this has been one of my favourite threads ,lets hope someone finds some
more photos to keep it going !

Dean

Brilliant - think I remember this, long time ago now !!! Glad you’ve enjoyed the thread, unfortunately my photos have come to an end, trying to unearth some more though

Regards
Any

just went thru 11 pages m8 brilliant pics and stories like reading about myself being a kid truck mad and jumping in my uncles middle east spec marathon whenever i could gr8 memories tks

hiya Ant…i found a photo on face book…its an ex comart lorry now owned by Mark Compton (his photo) don’t
know how long ago it was taken…just one for the record the lorry is NRF 877W…sorry its not the best of photo,s

John

3300John:
hiya Ant…i found a photo on face book…its an ex comart lorry now owned by Mark Compton (his photo) don’t
know how long ago it was taken…just one for the record the lorry is NRF 877W…sorry its not the best of photo,s

John

John,

Thanks for posting - would be good if it was still about - would make a nice restoration job

Cheers
Ant

Ant,

Hope this thread picks up again !

Found this one on the net .Not the best quality,parked up in Yugoslavia.