Collecting dead animals

switchlogic:

kr79:
I wouldn’t fancy it myself. I had to cut a dead donkeys leg off with a saw at the dartford tunnel and I still heave thinking of it and it was about 10 years ago.

My imagination just isn’t powerful enough to come up with an explanation for that scenario.

:question: :question: As Above. Please supply more detail. With pictures, if possible :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

what they said.
cutting dead donkeys legs off at the dartford tunnel is not something you hear every day :open_mouth:

chilistrucker:
what they said.
cutting dead donkeys legs off at the dartford tunnel is not something you hear every day :open_mouth:

It was because the Donkey didn’t have enough money and the crossing is cheaper if you have less weight on the floor.

Back in 2003 I was driving a artic bulker on landfill work for a south London skip firm as well as our own rubbish we did a bit out of other skip yards and council transfer stations.
One firm we pulled out of was a dodgy rough as houses half ■■■■■ outfit who had a couple of old stables in the yard with a a couple of scaby sorry looking donkeys in there. One Thursday afternoon I went in there and one of the donkeys had keeled over and there was already a few flys buzzing round.
The Guvnor wasn’t paying for the pet cemetery and came over and said alright if we put it on you. I said no way you can’t send it down a landfill site so without blinking he pulled out a wad of cash that could have choked a donkey rolled of a 50 and said are you sure. The colour of money clouded my judgement so I took the 50 and said ok but don’t take the ■■■■ with it. I pop down to the cafe come back and it’s loaded so I Pulled on to the weighbridge all ok so I just shut the easy sheet went back to the yard to park up.
Next morning I got in started the truck and instead of hearing a v8 scania fire up I got the ominous click of a knackerd starter motor and ended up in a spare lorry.
No work Saturday so it was Monday by the time muffin the mule was making his final voyage. 4-30 am I’m in the yard and I’m away down the old Kent road over blackheath down the a2 and off to the dartford tunnel. I got to the barrier and the attendant said your overheight. This wasn’t a surprise as my trailer was 15 ft 6 and often something sticking ip would set the sensors off. So I said il go for the right hand tunnel she said no your to high for it pull in to the tanker bay and sort it out.
I pulled in to the bay climbed up to se the now rotting donkey rolled half on it’s back and two rigimorticed legs sticking well up in the air. I opened the easy sheet and tried pushing this stinking thing back on it’s side but it just kept rolling back over. I grabed one of the legs and tried bending it but it was solid as a oak tree.
By this time I was covered in sweat and flys and heard another truck pull up I looked down to see Tony a guy I worked with he climbed up and just said what the [zb]. Now there was two of us trying to roll the dead donkey and bend it’s legs with little sucsess.
He said il be back in a second and returned with a big hacksaw and handed it to me and just said crack on son. My face droped and I said what am I going to do withthat and he replied cut it’s ■■■■■■■ legs off son. I said I can’t he said I ain’t and have you got a better idea so I set to cutting thrrough the rotting flesh and bone. I was heaving at the blood and maggots going every where but eventualt cut far enough to bend them over. I came down covered in blood with a swarm of flys round me and went through the tunnel and to the landfill at averley.
I tipped it out and the fixer driver jumped out of his d8 saying you can’t tip that here and I had to give him 20 quid to keep his mouth shut.

That post has to have a thread on its own in Bullies Bar, it is zb hilarious :laughing: :laughing:

I spit my tea over the keyboard

kr79:
Back in 2003 I was driving a artic bulker on landfill work for a south London skip firm as well as our own rubbish we did a bit out of other skip yards and council transfer stations.
One firm we pulled out of was a dodgy rough as houses half ■■■■■ outfit who had a couple of old stables in the yard with a a couple of scaby sorry looking donkeys in there. One Thursday afternoon I went in there and one of the donkeys had keeled over and there was already a few flys buzzing round.
The Guvnor wasn’t paying for the pet cemetery and came over and said alright if we put it on you. I said no way you can’t send it down a landfill site so without blinking he pulled out a wad of cash that could have choked a donkey rolled of a 50 and said are you sure. The colour of money clouded my judgement so I took the 50 and said ok but don’t take the ■■■■ with it. I pop down to the cafe come back and it’s loaded so I Pulled on to the weighbridge all ok so I just shut the easy sheet went back to the yard to park up.
Next morning I got in started the truck and instead of hearing a v8 scania fire up I got the ominous click of a knackerd starter motor and ended up in a spare lorry.
No work Saturday so it was Monday by the time muffin the mule was making his final voyage. 4-30 am I’m in the yard and I’m away down the old Kent road over blackheath down the a2 and off to the dartford tunnel. I got to the barrier and the attendant said your overheight. This wasn’t a surprise as my trailer was 15 ft 6 and often something sticking ip would set the sensors off. So I said il go for the right hand tunnel she said no your to high for it pull in to the tanker bay and sort it out.
I pulled in to the bay climbed up to se the now rotting donkey rolled half on it’s back and two rigimorticed legs sticking well up in the air. I opened the easy sheet and tried pushing this stinking thing back on it’s side but it just kept rolling back over. I grabed one of the legs and tried bending it but it was solid as a oak tree.
By this time I was covered in sweat and flys and heard another truck pull up I looked down to see Tony a guy I worked with he climbed up and just said what the [zb]. Now there was two of us trying to roll the dead donkey and bend it’s legs with little sucsess.
He said il be back in a second and returned with a big hacksaw and handed it to me and just said crack on son. My face droped and I said what am I going to do withthat and he replied cut it’s [zb] legs off son. I said I can’t he said I ain’t and have you got a better idea so I set to cutting thrrough the rotting flesh and bone. I was heaving at the blood and maggots going every where but eventualt cut far enough to bend them over. I came down covered in blood with a swarm of flys round me and went through the tunnel and to the landfill at averley.
I tipped it out and the fixer driver jumped out of his d8 saying you can’t tip that here and I had to give him 20 quid to keep his mouth shut.

pmsl :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That is the funniest ■■■■■■ sad story that I,ve read in a long time. :laughing: :laughing: I get the picture now. :open_mouth: In fact, it has put me off me tea. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

I used to haul dead stuff to the incinerator at Dumfries. Just in a little merc puddle jumper though. :blush:

The job can be as dirty or as clean as you want to make it IMHO.

The steel rod was called a pith (round here anyway)
Firearms, .22 ‘captive bolt’ as said before. and also we used a single shot .38 pistol, for those ‘thicker skulled’ animals.

Horses, I found are the worst to do :imp: Owner, family, friends etc standing watching you, if it don’t go down in one, hell breaks loose (shouts of cruelty etc), some, (trainer/stud farms) also ask for a leg/hoof as proof it’s dead and not been sold on somewhere.

Beware though, it’s happened where we’ve gone to shoot a bull - several shots later (yeah SEVERAL) and he’s just looking angry and turning on you!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: You then got to find someone with a ■■■■ big rifle (.308).

Still, I enjoyed it though. :smiling_imp:

Grim, could not do it myself. Even when i run over roadkill i get a shudder down my back :neutral_face:

That Dartford story is mental.

All the talk of guns/metal spikes etc is quite surprising actually, thought there would be more modern methods that were prefered, electric shock/stun gun type death.

Also isn’t hauling animal waste/carcasses exemp from the driving hours regs?

kr79:
He said il be back in a second and returned with a big hacksaw and handed it to me and just said crack on son. My face droped and I said what am I going to do withthat and he replied cut it’s [zb] legs off son. I said I can’t he said I ain’t and have you got a better idea so I set to cutting thrrough the rotting flesh and bone. I was heaving at the blood and maggots going every where but eventualt cut far enough to bend them over. I came down covered in blood with a swarm of flys round me and went through the tunnel and to the landfill at averley.

Brilliant! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You should do more tales of your driving career. :slight_smile:

Some of the cowboys I have been around deserve a book and maybe one dayit will happen :smiley:

Excellant story, excellant can do attitude, when can ya start…lol

Rob K:

kr79:

Brilliant! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Tears of laughter here , that was good enough for a fools & horses episode :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

glencarron:

Rob K:

kr79:

Tears of laughter here , that was good enough for a fools & horses episode :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

+1 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if only John Sullivan was reading this ./…

richmond:
Excellant story, excellant can do attitude, when can ya start…lol

I wouldn’t mind having a go in the 143 down to Doha :wink:

that was superb, could be post of the year :grimacing:

Goldfinger:
we used a single shot .38 pistol,

Beware though, it’s happened where we’ve gone to shoot a bull - several shots later (yeah SEVERAL) and he’s just looking angry and turning on you!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: You then got to find someone with a ■■■■ big rifle (.308).

A .38 Magnum round should be used to drop the bull. :sunglasses: