Collecting dead animals

kr79:
I wouldn’t fancy it myself. I had to cut a dead donkeys leg off with a saw at the dartford tunnel and I still heave thinking of it and it was about 10 years ago.

This :smiley:

Sorry meant to quote this as my vote for the funniest post of the year
oh well …enjoy :blush:

I believe you will be doubled up with leatherface for this job.

They are easy to catch and dont try to escape

Sorry but there really is no need to dig up a million posts, some from 9 years go.

Wheel Nut:
That post has to have a thread on its own in Bullies Bar, it is zb hilarious :laughing: :laughing:

I spit my tea over the keyboard

best laugh Ive had in ages… brilliant

Trukkertone:
if only John Sullivan was reading this ./…

Only fools and donkeys… brilliant

KR79 thats the funniest thing ive seen on here. Every time i read it it makes me laugh.

seen a job advertised for a driver to go round the farms collecting dead animals, just wondered if anyone on here could provide me with a bit more info to what the work entails im assuming the animals must be winched in to the truck and also said in the advert firearms experience useful.

Sounds like you would be working for a knackers yard, and providing you arent too screamish and agree with dispensing of sick or feeble animals then you should be ok.

also you will need a strong stomach for that job.

Google how you put down a horse.

It consists of a gun, knife and a long metal rod. You are correct they are winched.

Not something id like to witness again, my ex was a trainer and seen it happen fairly often.

greenarmy:
seen a job advertised for a driver to go round the farms collecting dead animals, just wondered if anyone on here could provide me with a bit more info to what the work entails im assuming the animals must be winched in to the truck and also said in the advert firearms experience useful.

I used to do it as a lad, but not as the driver. I was winchman, nothing really gruesome about it unless you found a bloated or rigwelted sheep and it burst while you were carrying it up the ramp.

A bit more upsetting was with a live horse or cattle and the boss used to shoot them, but we tried to get them to walk up the ramp first, occasionally they would run off after being shot and we had to recover them from a field or a dyke.

The gun was called an equine bolt gun with .22 blank rounds and a steel rod that pierced the brain.

To make it sound less gruesome we called it the Sheep Round

greenarmy:

Sounds like you might be picking up casualties, sickies, & anything else!!. A few years ago the local hunt would go round the farms collecting these & taking them back to the kennels, where they would skin them & salt the hides & stack them ready for collection, feed the hounds & dispose of the rest of remains by burning. Then restrictions came into force & this has altered now over the cause of a few years, & bovines have to be disposed of by incineration of varying parts of them (because of mad cow disease legislation), & dye used in containors of stuff waiting to be disposed of :sunglasses: . I’m not up to dated with the rules & regs now :confused:.
But however I would sugest you take a couple of things with you, like overalls, deffo waterproofs, wellies, gloves,& have somewhere to put them when you’re not wearing them like as far away as poss on the back of your truck :unamused:, flask of hot/warm water soap & towel ( & a tea bag ). It is inefitable at some stage you will be in the back & beyond & or maybe have to deal with a real ‘stinkers’ & have to tackle them ‘hands on’ at some stage - just wouldn’t want to eat your butties with that stench on your hands in the event of no facillities :wink: Please don’t think that i’m trying to put you off doing the job, it may have changed a lot over the last few years & it will depend on the area your expected to cover. If nearer to urban areas it may not be so bad ,or even to more update & moden farms etc, but, however in the middle of the back & beyond expect ‘anything’ :open_mouth:
As long as you can stand ‘strong’ smells eg, rotting guts, & by the sounds of it you will be expected to ‘end’ animals when required , bear it in mind they wont all just stand there sedatley either!!! :unamused: , Do you know if you’ll be skinning as well?
One thing about that job is variety !! , Good luck I hope it works out for you :wink: :smiley:
Don’t forget a large tin of air freshener for the cab, just in case :grimacing:

Good luck with your application my friend. The only advice i can offer here is, please dont do a photo diary :smiley:

mr lordi:
Good luck with your application my friend. The only advice i can offer here is, please dont do a photo diary :smiley:

+1

you will probabley have to shot a lot of day old calves as well not for the weak hearted. nothing wrong with them just no cost effective to keep them unless they are female :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Go for it, you’re not a real man until you’ve eaten a bacon sarnie in a pig abbatoir :laughing:

mr lordi:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t fancy it myself. I had to cut a dead donkeys leg off with a saw at the dartford tunnel and I still heave thinking of it and it was about 10 years ago.

kr79:

My imagination just isn’t powerful enough to come up with an explanation for that scenario.