Cola Cowboys

After searching for months finally got a copy of cola cowboys for a good price and have to say it is the most dissapointing read about road haulage i have ever come across,not a patch on Baghdad trucker.What does everybody else think?

about time !! i thought i was the only one that thought that !! i read bahgdad trucker is 4days i got cola cowboys and i was bored half way through ,i just couldnt get into it ,there is another one called jugernaught but im holding of getting that till i hear somone else review it :unamused: :exclamation: :exclamation:

The two books are just typical of light and heavy reading material on a similar subject. Baghdad Trucker is a really good biography with roots that are familiar to most of the readers.
Cola Coyboys is more about the journey with quasi-cultural sociology overtones…hope this helps. :open_mouth:

Being mean, mean, mean I got a copy from the library a few years ago.
I found it pretty boring and flicked through it in one night.
Cant see what all the hipe is about - or the inflated prices people want for it.

I think you have to remember cola cowboys was written a long time ago long before baghdad trucker. i bought that when it first came out and loved it as middle east trucking was still in it’s heyday. Not sure if i read it now it would have the same effect on me. I have also read juggernuat trucking agan you have to remember it was good in it’s time but it’s in a simalar vain to cola cowboys.

Juggernaut is alright but is written from a “laymans” point of view and has a very romantic view of what read to me as a nightmare Euro/Russian trip for the driver.

I enjoyed it for the American section to give me a snapshot of what it was like as a driver there - but I took it with a pinch of salt having read the earlier Euro chapters.

PM your address and I’ll try and find it out and post it you cos I’ve read it twice and dont think I’ll read it again.

kjw21:
Juggernaut is alright but is written from a “laymans” point of view and has a very romantic view of what read to me as a nightmare Euro/Russian trip for the driver.

I enjoyed it for the American section to give me a snapshot of what it was like as a driver there - but I took it with a pinch of salt having read the earlier Euro chapters.

Think you are getting your books mixed up. The one that details a trip to Russia and a couple of trips in the States is ‘A Thousand Miles From Nowhere’ by Graham Coster. ‘Juggernaut’, also known as ‘Danger - Heavy Goods’ in the US, by Robert Hutchison tells of a trip to the Middle East from the UK.

Yep your right - sorry!

Offers still there if anyone wants it.

put it on ebay, Amazon .com are selling them used in the US for $80.00 odd dollars

‘A Thousand Miles From Nowhere’ - from 0.01p on Amazon.

Its my mistake with the book title’s - if I’d bought an £80 book (Cola Cowboys etc) for 1p as much as I like you people I wouldnt be giving it away. :smiley:

There was also a book called Juggernaut by Desmond Bagley.

It is fiction not fact about a movement of a heavy generator to Africa. Not a bad read some action but it is a fictional story.

I too got Cola Cowboys from hte local library, The trucking part was great,but then you got all the ancient history bits presumably written by some body from Oxford or Cambrige ancient history dept,who I think travelled with the driver,I read all the truck bits and passed over the history.
I have a few trucking books, some I’ve read 2 or 3 times I’ll have another look at them and give you a review.
Thanks and regards derek

I vaguely remember reading a book a few years ago about driving in Europe.
Think it was called “Travelling with Teabags”. It was written by a Scotsman who had the cheek to move to England. It describes in diary form his trips around Germany, Switzerland, France (Most of the countries who have beaten Scotland at football) and tasting various cups of tea at MSA’s.
I might be wrong but I think it may have been written in the 60’s.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Only joking Neil!! (I’ve got your book to blame as one of the reasons I took up driving)

I got a copy of Cola Cowboys from the local library, it was the LARGE PRINT version (they didn’t have the normal one available) so didn’t have any of the maps or photos in it. I thought that it was ok but certainly wouldn’t pay any more than the cover price for it if I wanted to buy a copy. I thought that “A thousand miles from Nowhere” was a much better read (as is Graham Coster’s other book “Corsairviile” , about rescuing a crashed flying boat in Africa).
A far better and more interesting book (although not about the middle -east run) is “Trucking North-Trucking South” by Leslie Purdon. It is the story of a young man’s experiences as a “trailer boy” on a wagon and drag in years gone by and should jog many older driver’s memories.

my wife just bought me “coffee to go” and i cant put it down. I had read coffeeholics euro diaries on here and found them great reading.

are they any other good trucking books out there that anyone can recomend :question:

I had this book and sold it to a guy, not realising how much it was worth. I think he knew and I wish I had known at the time and I would have upped the price. I am very careful what prices I put on my books now on Amazon and e-bay. Liz

Reviews of truck books(these are purely my view,but I would myself pretty average old trucker).
COFFEE TO GO, Neill Hobbs,very good ,I’m sure many on here have read his diarys,so you will know his style.Recomended £
WHERE DO YOU WNT THIS LOT,Bob Rust,Story of lorry drivers working life starting in the 50s True story,very good,Reccomended. £13.50
BAGHDAD TRUCKER Kevin Noble. Very good ,true story?,if you like LDDs you’ll love this. Recommended £.
TRUCKERS NORTH,TRUCKERS SOUTH.
Leslie Purdon very good Trucking in the UK from 1945 on,maybe not a true story but very good,Recommended £7.95.
JUGGERNAUT DRIVERS Leslie Purdon,very good,Fiction,but author knows his trucking. Recommended £6.95.
THIS TRUCKING LIFE Laurie Driver,“This book is a set of reflections of a driver’s 40 plus in the hard and unforgiving world of the haulage and transport industry” from the book sleeve, very good read. Recommended £.
DANGER HEAVY GOODS. Robert Hutchinson. very ,very good,probably the best ME book i’ve read. Definitely Recommended.$19.95.
THOUSAND MILES FROM NOWHERE. Graham Coster.Good book,but doesn,t go into the detail like previous book,but Recommended.£5.99.
THE BIG LOAD,Ted Murphy,I found it a good book ,it’s the story of a truck driver who half way through the book turns to coach driving,very old book price in front cover is 18s6d,so you tell its old but Recommended

several years ago i advertised in truck and driver for juggernaut: driving to saudi arabia by robert hutchinson. i had about 3 calls and only 1 person wanted about a pound for the book, i got all 3 and covered the postage back to the senders, and gave 2 to friends who were interested. someone around that time offered me cola cowboys, which i had never heard of, they wanted about 50 quid!!! ■■■■ that, none of these books are worth anywhere near that, in a second hand bookshop they would be a couple of pound tops. i ended up buying a copy for a fiver including postage (which i did think was a lot for it but i did want to read it)

personally, i think juggernaut is the best out the lot, i can feel the sand and smell the oil when i read it! i think cola cowboys is good, but written very differently!

a thousand miles from nowhere i found interesting, but moreso the russian part

and i have juggernaut by desmond bagley, but i have not got round to reading it yet, got too much stephen king at the moment!!!

oh, and bagdhad trucker is a great read, but personally i prefer juggernaut, but its definalty worth buying thats for sure

BOOK REVIEWS Part 2
DIESEL ROSE. Mick Rennison. Ifyou took Diesel Rose out of this book it would be a great read,She is what we used to call a “Diesel Queen”.A great read none the less.Recommended. £.
THE EDDIE STOBBART STORY. Hunter Davis. Good read and if you’re an Eddie spotter you’ll love it. Recommended. £6.99
I bought another book about Stobarts cant remember what it was called or who wrote it,very little about trucking lots and lots of family history and religion,the only" trucking book" I ever gave away!.
TIME AND TIDE.The history of the Suttons group.Philip R. Jordan.
Not a bad read and if you are from the area would like it,Certainly different from ME books,a good history and insight of Suttons.
Yes Recommended.
TRUCKS THE WORLDS GREATEST TRUCKS.Ingrid Phaneuf and James Menzies.£7.99
I bought this of the net and I thought it was abot Stobarts,but it’s more of an truck encyclopedia,not a bad book but not what I was looking for.
Probably the difference between going to the motor show and driving a truck for a week,Now i’m retired I want to drive a truck through the pages of books or Trucknet with out all the hassles and to be home in bed every night.
Hope this is a bit of help to somebody,if anybody needs any help in finding or buying any of these titles please give me a shout. regards derek