Cola Cowboys

thanks for all the reviews heres a few more From moorlands to highlands the story of Brian Harris good read with great photos have read this a few times,Donald Malcolm the driving force the history of WH Malcolm of Brookfield again good read backed up with great pics,One eleven Squadron a complete look into Russell Davis container haulage this is absolutely fantastic and took an age to find but well worth the wait even spoke to Simon Waspe the guy who did all the research!

peterq,Amazing the 3 books i would love to read and can,t afford (yet),but I will,have to put them on my Christmas list,thanks for your message,regards derek

trucking482002:
I too got Cola Cowboys from hte local library, The trucking part was great,but then you got all the ancient history bits presumably written by some body from Oxford or Cambrige ancient history dept,who I think travelled with the driver,I read all the truck bits and passed over the history.
I have a few trucking books, some I’ve read 2 or 3 times I’ll have another look at them and give you a review.
Thanks and regards derek

The writer of Cola Cowboys,(Is his name Franklyn?),did the one trip with The Wing Commander,(Trevor Long).in the late '70’s I think it was. I saw them in Ankara,
I think he spent more time writing down what he heard around the table at truck stops en route.
I had heard that Cola Cowboys was not a true representation of what the job was which is why I’ve never bothered to check it out.
I had a free copy of “Baghdad Trucker” from the publisher as I had supplied a lot of the photos.

peterq5422:
One eleven Squadron a complete look into Russell Davis container haulage this is absolutely fantastic and took an age to find but well worth the wait even spoke to Simon Waspe the guy who did all the research!

im selling them on his behalf, there is a thread in the for sale section, but i cant bump it to the top!

glad you enjoyed the book!

ebay.co.uk/cola-cowboys-franklin-wood

This guy also has Juggernaut and A Thousand Mles From Nowhere.

Ken.

:slight_smile: hi, for a good cab read try (truck) by peter cave, it has a mk1 atki on the cover
its all fiction, but a good read,
another one is the collectors, set in the late 70s :wink:

There are some very good railway books that relate the early days of road transport and the opposition to the lorries.

That is until people realised that all of a sudden their goods were being delivered where and when they wanted them. The old railway bosses became some of the biggest hauliers as lines were closed and sidings shut.

Any decent railway museum shop will have a good selection showing the change to BRS and beyond.

Back in the 80s there was a documentary on the Golden Road to Arabia. It featured Astran Trucking, any body know where we can locate this as it was a bloody good Program and well worth a watch for the younger members.

little enis:
Back in the 80s there was a documentary on the Golden Road to Arabia. It featured Astran Trucking, any body know where we can locate this as it was a bloody good Program and well worth a watch for the younger members.

I think that is Destination Doha ? £7.99 on ebay I bought a copy, the quality is not that good but a very enjoyable DVD regards Big Al

peterq5422:
After searching for months finally got a copy of cola cowboys for a good price and have to say it is the most dissapointing read about road haulage i have ever come across,not a patch on Baghdad trucker.What does everybody else think?

Seen it for sale on Amazon for upto £598.92 :exclamation: is it that good :question: Big Al