Co Pilot Truck GPS (My Take )

Well i downloaded the free trial about a week ago and have been running it alongside my snooper
1St When you download it do it on wifi not mobile dater as its a very hungry download the maps are stored on your devise i put them on my sd card

OK i was surprised at how good it is , routing is on par with the snooper theirs loads of settings so you can set it up how you want ,the GPS is spot on and as the maps are on your devise it dosent use your mobile date allowance although the traffic feature does but very little if i was thinking of using it as my main sat nav i would put it on a tablet as it would benefit from being on a larger screen that said its still very user friendly even on a phone. At just over £80 pound i think its actually great value when you consider snooper/Tom Tom are around £300 if my snooper packs up at some point i would go for Co Pilot as its replacement and save a cpl of hundred pound

I just use google maps, it’s free. ← Don’t have to plan routes with it + it gives me a overview of the route and shows me what roads it is going to take me down. It’s also easy to modify the route to avoid certain routes. Any small b-roads I check to see if they have height limits. Best of all it has the best live traffic I’ve ever used, I think this is because so many people have google maps on their phone and use it so you get a much more accurate idea of what the traffic will be like.

mixed views from me. Have used copilot happilly previously. Been on Google maps for a year now. Downloaded copilot trial and tried it in Edinburgh yesterday. It wanted me to take all sorts of rat runs when a straight road was easier. Google maps confirmed this. Not ideal when your in a plant wagon with a huge tailswing. Ill keep it running alongside google just for the low bridges and weight limit warnings. Maybe it will learn easier routes.

I downloaded the free trial version and to be honest I liked the bigger screen on my iPad but I felt more at home with my snooper so I deleted it…

CraigM:
mixed views from me. Have used copilot happilly previously. Been on Google maps for a year now. Downloaded copilot trial and tried it in Edinburgh yesterday. It wanted me to take all sorts of rat runs when a straight road was easier. Google maps confirmed this. Not ideal when your in a plant wagon with a huge tailswing. Ill keep it running alongside google just for the low bridges and weight limit warnings. Maybe it will learn easier routes.

No it doesn’t learn easier routes, that is your job. You are using it correctly in one sense but not in another. You are supposed to check every route that any satnav gives you against a truckers atlas and adjust it if you have a better route. CoPilot like any other satnav is a tool to aid you with navigation. I have used CoPilot truck for years and rarely do I need to alter a route that it gives. Even so I would never trust any satnav to route me without checking it first. You can easily alter your route with CoPilot truck, that is one of the best features of it and why it is designed by and used by truckers world wide.

Google maps…

Costs nothing. Gives me up to the second traffic, suggests alternative routes and is spot on with destination times.

If I have to go somewhere new, I just get on with it and go there.

Pay money? Pah!

It’s worth buying a TomTom just to trigger a few on here :laughing:

I have Aponia (Truck) and regardless of what UKTramp will tell you it’s just as good and usable (and cheaper) as Co Pilot if an app is the way you want to go, but for traffic reporting it’s hard to deny that TomTom have all the others beat (TomTom also do a downloadable app version just not 100% sure whether there’s a truck version or not though)

Reef:
It’s worth buying a TomTom just to trigger a few on here :laughing:

I have Aponia (Truck) and regardless of what UKTramp will tell you it’s just as good and usable (and cheaper) as Co Pilot if an app is the way you want to go, but for traffic reporting it’s hard to deny that TomTom have all the others beat (TomTom also do a downloadable app version just not 100% sure whether there’s a truck version or not though)

I have not reviewed Aponia truck on my site yet, so I have never knocked Aponia. My top choice of truck satnav is CoPilot truck from my experience and having tested virtually every make of satnav against it. I am currently testing Snooper and Garmin DZL which are both very good but still cannot beat CoPilot truck. So what is your reason for buying TomTom against other satnavs?

Uktramp my tomtom has snuffed it today, I can’t get a replacement until tomorrow. I have a night shift tonight do you think the free trial is good enough just stand alone?? With a map of course. Sorry to sound like I have no faith just I have never used it.?

Miketyres:
Uktramp my tomtom has snuffed it today, I can’t get a replacement until tomorrow. I have a night shift tonight do you think the free trial is good enough just stand alone?? With a map of course. Sorry to sound like I have no faith just I have never used it.?

100% yes, download the trial version and use it, I use mine on my iphone and ipad, you will find it as easy to use as a totom. Let us know how you get on with it.

What is the difference between the black icon & the orange icon co pilot app■■?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Being a recent convert to Google Maps, I’m currently running it alongside my TomTom.

“Live” traffic around Norfolk is anything but. Some roads that come up red haven’t had a queue on them for years.

The other thing it was missing was actual speed.

I downloaded TomTom speed cameras (apparently only available on Android) and have that set to just show speed and cameras which then lays on top of the Google Map.

I shouldn’t own up to this but I relied on copilot truck once when delivering via agency for a well known value supermarket from their Chelmsford RDC. they normally give a route in for their stores on a card but didn’t have one this time. So followed copilot into a Suffolk or north Essex village and it routed me through a progressively tighter ‘toytown’ route. It was clear it was the wrong way in and i just managed to reverse back out missing olde worlde houses by inches luckily it was the 4 am start shift so it was early enough for me to avoid being a YouTube chump. Everytimeci see a YouTube video of a lorry stuck in a town centre I just think thank God it wasn’t me. I blame copilot but it was my fault really. I

TheNewBoy:
What is the difference between the black icon & the orange icon co pilot app■■?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The orange one is the paid app but make sure it is the UK and Europe choice, the black is the trial version.

I decided to download the trial yesterday and tried it today. I found I was unable to change the route it planned. Even selecting avoid road made no difference. I have also set strongly avoid local roads. It took me through Lincoln rather than round the A46/A15. Not a problem at 5 this morning to see but would have been a nightmare at 5 tonight.

My £40 ebay joblets me avoid roads with no problem. They are currently offering 25% off it says so only £60 but I’m not even sure its worth that

kcrussell25:
I decided to download the trial yesterday and tried it today. I found I was unable to change the route it planned. Even selecting avoid road made no difference. I have also set strongly avoid local roads. It took me through Lincoln rather than round the A46/A15. Not a problem at 5 this morning to see but would have been a nightmare at 5 tonight.

My £40 ebay joblets me avoid roads with no problem. They are currently offering 25% off it says so only £60 but I’m not even sure its worth that

That isn’t the fault with CoPilot is it really, you not knowing how to use it so you call it. You can adjust the routes very simply, you can plan your routes from scratch also. I use it Daily but you do have to know how to use it to actually use it.

UKtramp:

kcrussell25:

That isn’t the fault with CoPilot is it really, you not knowing how to use it so you call it. You can adjust the routes very simply, you can plan your routes from scratch also. I use it Daily but you do have to know how to use it to actually use it.

Why would a truck satnav take me through a city centre in the first place? The ring round is 3 miles further but far better.

I put my destination post code in and looked at the route and saw I wasn’t happy. I went into the list of directions and selected avoid road. It changed 1 option but was still through the city so tried again but it wouldn’t change. How is this me not knowing how to use it?

If there is more to it than that why? My cheap ebay one doesn’t.

I expect it to plan the route it thinks best for a truck. I then check and amend as I see fit. The route it gave me this morning was no way suitable for a truck. If it gives routes like that may as well just use Google maps.

kcrussell25:

UKtramp:

kcrussell25:

Why would a truck satnav take me through a city centre in the first place? The ring round is 3 miles further but far better.

I put my destination post code in and looked at the route and saw I wasn’t happy. I went into the list of directions and selected avoid road. It changed 1 option but was still through the city so tried again but it wouldn’t change. How is this me not knowing how to use it?

If there is more to it than that why? My cheap ebay one doesn’t.

I expect it to plan the route it thinks best for a truck. I then check and amend as I see fit. The route it gave me this morning was no way suitable for a truck. If it gives routes like that may as well just use Google maps.

I can honestly say it has rarely given me a bad route but when it has I just adjust it, no satnav is perfect but CoPilot allows you to alter the route. You are saying you couldn’t alter the route. That is either your fault or your device. If you send me the post code I will check it on mine, you can alter any route it gives you, but you should get a warning from CoPilot to tell you that it is an unsuitable road you are going through regardless.

emwmarine:
I shouldn’t own up to this but I relied on copilot truck once when delivering via agency for a well known value supermarket from their Chelmsford RDC. they normally give a route in for their stores on a card but didn’t have one this time. So followed copilot into a Suffolk or north Essex village and it routed me through a progressively tighter ‘toytown’ route. It was clear it was the wrong way in and i just managed to reverse back out missing olde worlde houses by inches luckily it was the 4 am start shift so it was early enough for me to avoid being a YouTube chump. Everytimeci see a YouTube video of a lorry stuck in a town centre I just think thank God it wasn’t me. I

yes mate you can be sure that these prats getting stuck in narrow town centre roads are using co pilot

kcrussell25:

no surprise mate ,co pilot is crap
you can get a tom tom truck sat nav with life time traffic and map updates for under 200 quid
but even the cheap chinese e bay ones are better than co pilot crap