Cleaning your truck

Who is responsible? I mostly mean inside.

I’m more than happy to remove all rubbish and keep tidy, but am I expected to vacuum out all the road salt muck we’ve just had?

May as well extend it to how often do you get the outside washed?

As a tramper, the inside was as clean as my home. Clean outside means, in my mind, less chance of a tug.

I am a cab hopper. So, I always leave it in the state I find it in.
Some will say it is my ‘duty’ to clean it for the next driver. Na ■■■■ that. I drive a different truck every day of the week.

Depends on if it’s your regular truck, if you tramp, or a day man, or cab hop.

If it’s not your regular truck, I think you should leave it as clean as you found it. If it gets mucky with you getting in and out with gunk on your boots, then yes, you should clean it out.

If it is your regular vehicle, then you’re living in it, so it’s in your own interests to keep it clean.

I don’t ‘get my truck washed’ I use the jet wash in the yard and wash it off on my last day of the week. I don’t go in for shiny polished tank and wheels, but I keep it clean and presentable as it is part of the company image. And obviously keep all lights/reg plates/mirrors clean throughout the week.

It will often be found in contracts too, that you are expected to keep the truck clean.

Incidentally, if you don’t clean it after you, who do you think should?

When tramping, with “my unit” I kept it clean tidy inside, and washed outside when required.

Now I cab hop i view it as the decent thing to do to leave it good for the next person. We’ve got a full on truck wash on site so outside cleaning is a piece of piddle. Inside the trucks are mostly kept tody by all so it a case of maybe a wipe over, take your rubbish out and clean any muddy mats with a hose/brush and job done.

If the person in front doesn’t keep it tidy it’s no harm to do it myself. I don’t live in a tip at home and don’t have a cleaning fairy to do it for me so don’t see why I should work in one.

I’m a tramper “my truck” is just coming 3 years old with almost 400k on the clock . In those almost 3 years I can think of 2 occasions where someone else was inside it (mostly being shunted round the yard or being hooked up to a trailer for me over a weekend break . When I get back to the yard at the weekend it gets filled with ad-blue , fuel and washed - we also have the option to get it washed on the SNAP account should we need to . It gets cleaned every day inside , a wipe down to get the dust off the surfaces , rubber mats pulled out , shook wiped down and the center mat (carpet pulled out , shook and run over with the airline , It’s my home for the week , I spend more time in the truck than I do at home and I keep it as clean as I possibly can . I’ve refused trucks at previous employers due to the state they were in and would do so again - I simply refuse to drive around surrounded by other peoples filth that they can’t be bothered cleaning up after themselves .

grumpybum:

For many years I used to work in an office. Without fail the employer employed cleaners to clean the office, I’m struggling to remember if that was ever less than every single day.

Edit to add, we employ cleaners at home

stu675:

grumpybum:

For many years I used to work in an office. Without fail the employer employed cleaners to clean the office, I’m struggling to remember if that was ever less than every single day.

I have known a few companies to employ washers for the exterior, and also heard of companies that will get a truck valeted if being taken over by a new regular driver. But I don’t think that’s particularly widespread, and certainly never heard of regular interior cleaning being organised by a company. A lot of places have accounts at truck washes too.

I have a different truck everyday and i hate getting into a ■■■■ hole. So the first thing I do is spend 15 mins cleaning the lorry. I get paid for it and it means I don’t sit in someone’s dirt.

Again if the outside is dirty I go and powerwash it, again more pay. I also give the lorry a wipe down and when I finish so its clean for the next person.

You can call me a kiss arse but I hate a lorry in a state.

We have a valeting company that comes in and cleans the trucks on a rotation basis.

And most of our drivers help to keep them clean and rubbish removed. I always try and leave them in the same condition when I finish my shift.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Despite cab hopping, the trucks are generally assigned to 2 drivers (day/night) who do what they can to keep their truck clean. There’s a new rotary truck wash and pressure washer on site and also an industrial Karcher hoover, cleaning material kits for each truck are periodically replaced and it’s the drivers responsibility to clean it. So the minimum they get daily is pressure washed, rubbish out, wiped down and rubber mats washed before being handed over to the opposite driver

adam277:
I am a cab hopper. So, I always leave it in the state I find it in.
Some will say it is my ‘duty’ to clean it for the next driver. Na [zb] that. I drive a different truck every day of the week.

+1. Pretty much everyone though, both those who are with that unit permanently on days and whoever ends up driving it on nights will take the drivers floor mat out and jetwash it off whilst they’re washing the unit off. Only takes a few seconds.

Thanks everyone. Truck washes, karcher hoovers and jet washers? We were given a packet of wet wipes 9 months ago.

When I had a regular motor it was cleaned inside and out.When I was on general tramping work it was a easy 4-5 hours to run in on a Saturday morning and jet wash down.

Last place I worked tramping. Use keep inside nice and clean and tidy .
But outside never got washed. Place worked for was only small and he wouldn’t pay for it.
Yet some.new guy started his truck was always spotless I asked him.
He said pay it out my.own pocket.
It’s only 2 hours overtime a week he said I. Can drag it out to make the money back.
I can kind of see the logic behind it but why would anyone pay for it out there own pocket.

Place at now a couple fellas come.on a Thursday with a van and jet wash .wash any trucks and trailers etc that happen to be parked up.

grumpybum:

stu675:

grumpybum:

I have known a few companies to employ washers for the exterior, and also heard of companies that will get a truck valeted if being taken over by a new regular driver. But I don’t think that’s particularly widespread, and certainly never heard of regular interior cleaning being organised by a company. A lot of places have accounts at truck washes too.

My lot don’t give a ■■■■ about the state of cab interiors, most of the units in our yard I would not let my dog sleep (or travel for that matter) in.
That is why I have refused to take some mobile ■■■■ holes out in the past, in fact the last time I went to collect my motor, and they had not told me it was getting inspected,.I rang and he said …’
‘‘Ok Just take…’’ ,.
Before he had a chance to finish I said I ain’t taking anything,.I’m off home until ‘‘my own’’ motor is ready,., hung up and did just that. :imp:
I really just can not be arsed anymore. :imp:

As for ‘‘my own’’ motor (inverted commas to stop the day men chipping in with the usual…it ain’t YOUR motor, it belongs to the co’'. :unamused: ) I keep the interior spotless,.as does the lad who does the other 3 days on it.

I go absolutely ape ■■■■ if it is left a mess by anyone else, then park outside the office to let them see me cleaning it out,.while the loaded trailer,.waiting to go out, is still attached…as I say., CBA. :unamused:

I keep mine clean. Can’t stand living in a pig sty. I went on holiday for a 2 weeks. I showed the governer before and after pictures. He was not best pleased. There were take away boxes all over the floor. When I saw the guy I gave him a piece of my mind. He apologised and offered to clean it.

The problem with being a limper is that your only as good as your last job, which translates into if you do a bad job, do damage or leave a truck in a state, you don’t get asked to come back to the same place. So I leave them in the same state as I find them in (preferably a clean working order).
Don’t get me wrong the staff drivers don’t always do what they are supposed to do, some routinely don’t wash their truck daily, check the fluids despite the obvious warning signs on the dash flashing up, or leave them with bulbs out. I even had one where the night-man whom I had been speaking to moments before had left the front near side tyre semi flat and it was obvious from 250yd away that the cab was listing on one side

stu675:
We were given a packet of wet wipes 9 months ago.

That wasn’t for the trucks.

Ken.

Place where I work all the trampers have their own unit, us day/night drivers are usually paired up so we have the same unit every shift. Every so often we are given some dash/glass cleaner but most blokes have their own anyway. Personally I like to keep the inside clean and tidy and try to give it a clean a couple of times a week and clean the mirrors/windows at the end of every shift and the night driver does the same, happy days.

We have a industrial style pressure washer at both of our depots and most drivers will clean their units a couple of times a week…not at present though as they are both broken :unamused:

There have been a couple of occasions when the unit I use has been VOR and I’ve had to take a spare unit as the bloke is on holiday and it amazes me how much filth, grease and crap some people are happy to work in or worse, live in.

One trampers unit I was given I opened the fridge to put my butty box in and it was filthy and full of mould, makes you wonder what their house is like!