Cleaning the trucks on a sat

Talking too my new boss ( he’s a mate really) , said he may want me too do the odd sat morn cleaning the trucks ( outside ) , I’m not keen at all, I’ll do mine through the week and I.m.oh.o that’s what the other drivers should do ( I’d come in early fri at one job and get truck washed before last run of week ) .
Does anyone else do this , clean the trucks on a sat , it’s paid o/t but I just want my weekends off , but he’s a mate and been good too me so I don’t want too ■■■■ him off by saying no , is it not reasonable to expect the drivers too clean there trucks through the week :question:

If he’s paying OT for it at a good rate and it’s only the odd one why not ?

dozy:
Talking too my new boss ( he’s a mate really) , said he may want me too do the odd sat morn cleaning the trucks ( outside ) , I’m not keen at all, I’ll do mine through the week and I.m.oh.o that’s what the other drivers should do ( I’d come in early fri at one job and get truck washed before last run of week ) .
Does anyone else do this , clean the trucks on a sat , it’s paid o/t but I just want my weekends off , but he’s a mate and been good too me so I don’t want too ■■■■ him off by saying no , is it not reasonable to expect the drivers too clean there trucks through the week :question:

If there are several of you working for him, then if you take it in turns then you’d not have to be in maybe only once a month :wink:

He has said its paid work, I know several guys who have to wash the trucks in their own time :open_mouth: that’s totally out of order :unamused:

It went on where I used to work, you were paid but off the tacho. I never bothered even when I had a regular truck to drive I just left it to someone else a bit keener.
I’d never work anywhere where you were expected to give up your free time cleaning trucks.

I’ll wash off on a Saturday where I am now, but only if I’m actually working and not just coming in to wash down. My boss’ sons get paid to do them normally.

eddie snax:
I know several guys who have to wash the trucks in their own time :open_mouth: that’s totally out of order :unamused:

That’s partly their fault for being stupid enough to accept such terms. Do they have spotlights on their trucks and know all about shiny fuel tanks?

I would suggest recording the work done on Saturday cleaning ,to be submitted by a manual entry on the tacho when back in Monday morning to keep it legal or note it on a work record book.
If Dvsa did a random check that could mean trouble and failing to keep working records

dozy:

You haven’t even started yet, and your already on here moaning… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

the nodding donkey:

dozy:

You haven’t even started yet, and your already on here moaning… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

.........jpg.jpg

This isn’t going to end well …

What would you rather do doze mate.
Be run ragged as you were by your last shower of sh, to the point of you having a nervous breakdown.

OR

Work for your mate (who will presumably look after you) so in return help him out for a couple of hours on a Sat morning by washing a couple of his motors, even if you are not really keen?

Give and take mate, give and take.

Takes us 10 minutes a motor to give the unit a blast over with the jetwash. However do ours at the end of every shift so they get washed off twice a day if they go out on a night as well.

If its one Saturday morning every 3/4 weeks I don’t think I’d be minding so much. If it was every Saturday I’d be telling them to sod off. I’d also be asking why the drivers aren’t cleaning their own motors when they get back on Friday. Each driver spending 10-15 minutes giving it a wash off at the end of the week is a whole lot better than one person spending half a day having to do the lot.

Like Muckaways place though I’ve know quite a few small haulage companies get a lad in on a Saturday morning to clean the motors, usually one who is nuts about trucks and wanting to become a driver when they get older.

Just max your hours out monday to friday for wtd. :wink:
Sorry boss no time left!

Out of interest, would it be very expensive just to take the trucks to a truck wash maybe once a week or are they stupidly expensive?

Must admit I would be a bit suspicious about washing other peoples trucks - better each do their own as some wont give a hoot, but how about everyone gives their own a quick 5 min blast at the end of each shift? Will prob get lots of complaints for suggesting this in case any bosses read this. :slight_smile:

Edit, didnt see Conor suggested basically same thing so might be safe.

Large firm in Lincs…

Got into all sorts of bother with the ministry man over Saturday working. The ministry saw it as exactly that…working… therefore they wanted the time recorded as other work, cards in, mileage shown…the works.

peirre:

What could possibly go wrong?

If the regular drivers have access to the wash when they finish i can’t see why they don’t look after their own tackle, unless he’s saddled himself with a bunch of chauffers who are too precious to wash their own motors, lots of them about.

Juddian:
If the regular drivers have access to the wash when they finish i can’t see why they don’t look after their own tackle, unless he’s saddled himself with a bunch of chauffers who are too precious to wash their own motors, lots of them about.

Not used to being called a chauffeur anymore, but I was once the proud owner of a ‘chauffeurs diploma’. Think DCPC but with bells and whistles on. In Holland chauffeur is the job title. Means something too. but I digress…

I wash my truck every time I happen to be in the yard, but if my boss can find a fool to wash trucks on a Saturday, they’re welcome to do mine as well. :grimacing:

If he’d expected you to do it for nowt I’d be narked. But if he’s paying you then…

the nodding donkey:

peirre:

What could possibly go wrong?

Now let me think …

I’m actually considering opening a sweepstake on what potential options could happen to Dozy’s future.
Can anyone suggest what options could be considered?
Would it be like asking the $64M question
Or working out pi to the last decimal

toby1234abc:
I would suggest recording the work done on Saturday cleaning ,to be submitted by a manual entry on the tacho when back in Monday morning to keep it legal or note it on a work record book.
If Dvsa did a random check that could mean trouble and failing to keep working records

Would you wash down and polish your Boeing 747 on a saturday morning Tobes at the standard rate ? Just asking like !!