Class C with HIAB & ADR versus Class C+E,,Which Directio

I am looking for a bit of advice with regards to the training direction that I go in.I am currently studying in preparation for my class C course but I am uncertain what to do after that.
I have no intention of doing nights out and fifteen hour days and I am guessing that the bulk of the work on offer for C+E drivers in their artics involves just that so any extra money spent on a C+E licence would be wasted because the job would’nt suit me.
I was considering getting trained in the use of a HIAB and possibly an ADR certificate instead and finding more localised work.
Is it more likely that if you want to drive an artic then you are going to have to stop out at night and if I want to get home of an evening then I would be better of sticking to rigids making my self more attractive to employers with HIAB and ADR?
I think I know the answer myself but I would like someone elses opinion.

Thanks.

As long as you are coming into the industry with plenty of money and dont need to earn a great deal then class C with Hiab will get you lots of work in builders merchants.

ADR on class C is similar once you have some experience, as a newbie driving a tanker loaded with petrol in a rush to get home sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Rigid fuel tanker work is seasonal too, as in people dont buy central heating oil in Summer.

To be honest. I wouldn’t pay for my own ADR or Hiab course any more than I would pay to park the bosses truck or pay for his tacho cards.

Do some research on your local job market before doing anything.

Go for your ADR and HIAB.

This will make you stick out from the rest.

Once you have had a couple of years experiance then go for the C+E.

You will have the pick of the jobs

I have no intention of doing nights out and fifteen hour days

then stay the hell away from the trucks, you sound like just another one of those slackers in life that want a big wage packet for doing sweet F A

Swampey:

I have no intention of doing nights out and fifteen hour days

then stay the hell away from the trucks, you sound like just another one of those slackers in life that want a big wage packet for doing sweet F A

Maybe he just wants a 48hr working week like every other industry.
I work hard and drive for a living,
but like the OP i do not wish to be married to my truck.

Theres nothing macho in my eyes in doing 15hr days :unamused:
(

Regarding long hours, I’m currently driving a 12 tonner from 0800-1730; there is the odd night out here and there and occasionally the odd late finish (around 1830; it usually depends on traffic and unexpected delays more than anything else) and occasional Saturday working. (0800-1200)

I aim to go for my C+E early next year (and my ADR too) so that I have it on my licence, but for now and for the next while, I’m more than happy doing what I’m doing; I’m learning all the time and the experience will stand me in good stead. I found this job (albeit on an agency, but with a very strong chance the firm will take me on) just three weeks after passing my Category C test.

There’s a mixture of local jobs and longer distance runs too; there’s a lot of handball, but I don’t mind that.

It’s the ideal job as far as I’m concerned, especially for a newbie like me looking for experience. :smiley:

Mind you, tramping in an artic (or even a rigid) is my dream job.

It’s not all 15 hour days, as I’ve found. :sunglasses:

Its really a question of where you want to go with your driving career mate and what suits your life and times you want to work. I’m a single bloke so the hours i work and days aen’t really an issue. It was always my intention to try and get in to the Kingsbury oil terminal near Tamworth. Its taken me 2 years to get the artic license and Adr in which time i’ve done agency work and worked for Brakes in Tamworth. I am now working for a petrol company but still only driving a rigid most of the time. Albeit a tanker and i do cover for the artic driver when he’s on holidays. This will hold me in good stead hopefully for when i apply for a job doing petrol to the stations with one of the big companies like bp or shell. I found the Adr course quite interesting and it didn’t cost that much (£420) in all ive probably spent about £3k to get My driving quals. The difficult part is finding employment after qualifying. Im experienced in Class 2 now but still a beginner in an Artic but i am getting some experience. Which can’t be a bad thing. I tend to think the more you have on paper these days the better it looks for you. Good luck mate. Hope you find your ideal job