class C+E.

Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum.

I`ve failed the C + E test twice. first time failed on the reversing,Second time took three shunts to park into the bay and also marked a serious on Hesitation as i missed a vehicle flashing me to go and the Examiner commented on it.
How many more attempts at the C + E do i take ? :frowning:

Hiya truckeral!

DO NOT give up now mate!! You are so close and will definitely regret it if you don’t continue. I have not long passed my C+E after failing on more than one occaision, but I wasn’t going to just through a few grand down the drain by giving up. Get your trainer to give you more reversing training if you think you need it but don’t give in though mate. It will be worth it in the end, trust me. :sunglasses:

Good Luck with the next one.

Hi, and welcome.

If you’re happy with your trainer and vehicle, book some more time and make sure you’re comfortable before you take another test.

If your’e not happy with the trainer or vehicle, consider a change.

Most trainers will offer you an assessment for little or no money so it could be worth looking around.

There are trainers out there who are not especially talented when teaching reverse; hope you haven’t got one of those.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t give up , I passed mine 3rd time and know how ur feeling but when u hear those magic words(and u will :wink: ) the feeling just can’t be put into words my examiner got the shock of his life when he told me I’d passed I reached across and kissed him lol and believe me u will feel the same ,

U can do it

Jen x

Can’t add to any of the advice above.

I passed 3rd time. Felt like giving up but kept at it and got those immortal words.

Good luck.

Dean

Same as Dean, i managed to pass at the 3rd attempt, even before the 3rd try i knew if i failed it there was no way i was going to stop trying until i passed, the old bulldog kept appearing in my head :laughing: :laughing: it is mighty frustrating but stick with it, as LJA said, maybe get a bit extra training with the reverse. all the best to you :smiley: :smiley:

Welcome Truckeral

As you only failed the 1st time on the reverse and the second on the same (forgetting the hesitation) I personally would not advise changing trainers or vehicles. You don’t say whether you were happy with the reversing during training and only went wrong on the test.

I would advise you to ask the training provider if they would allow you to join in with somebody else during their reversing training as you have been a good customer so far. it is not unreasonable for them to agree to this if they really care about you passing. You will of course still have to pay for another test and the vehicle beforehand anyway.

Ask them if you can continue practising, maybe on different days until you are 100% happy that you can do it 3 or 4 times consecutively without a shunt.

Try and mentally break the overall excercise into 3 sections.

1. From the start position until you are clear of centre cone ‘B’ and in a straight line. As a guide turn the steering wheel 1.5 complete revolutions to the right. Roll backwards until you can see approx a third of the trailer in the N/S mirror then turn the wheel fully to the left. Straighten up just before you cant see the trailer in either mirror.
  2. Continue in an almost straight line so that you can just see the trailer in the O/S mirror. Try to imagine another cone placed about 10ft in front of bay and aim to just miss this imaginery cone.
  3. Apply small amounts of left hand lock to gently ease the trailer into the bay. Once the back of the trailer is in the bay and aligned straight turn wheel to the right to straighten up or take a shunt forward to align with the bay. If you take a shunt go forward enough to take the trailer about 5 ft out of the box entrance. If the shunt forward is too short you will only go back into the same position.

Obviosly this is just a guideline but hopefully gives you some ideas.

Really good tips from John expecially for W+D. If you’re reversing a conventional artic then you will need to run the unit parallel with the yellow line before you follow the trailer round B cone. Apart from that, there’s no difference in the principle.

Dont give up pal it took me 4 test on CE before i heard the magic words at 10 am this morning yipppeee and do you know how good that feels …when the examiner said would you like your trainer presant i thought i had failed again :frowning: but then when Paul came over he said im happy to tell you that you have passed just by the scin of your teeth because if you would have gone another inch forward on them traffic lights it would have been a fail :smiley: …9 minors in all . but hey mostly bloody caused by nerves I think … just keep going mate like peter said if you dont like the trainer or the vehicle get a new one . :wink:
Regards Roy

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the positive words ive now decided to carry on and i had a chat with a Transport Managerand i mentioned im trying to gain my C + E LICENCE but having trouble with the reversing.He said i could go in on Sundays for a couple of weeks and practice reversing into the loading bays hopefully this will give me self confidence and gain experience.

I will be using the same Trainer and Truck again as i don`t have a problem with this,also im not sure but would booking a days practice and test on the next day be any good.

I forgot to mention at the start of the week i had no problem reversing just at the later part of the week.

truckeral:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the positive words ive now decided to carry on and i had a chat with a Transport Managerand i mentioned im trying to gain my C + E LICENCE but having trouble with the reversing.He said i could go in on Sundays for a couple of weeks and practice reversing into the loading bays hopefully this will give me self confidence and gain experience.

I will be using the same Trainer and Truck again as i don`t have a problem with this,also im not sure but would booking a days practice and test on the next day be any good.

I forgot to mention at the start of the week i had no problem reversing just at the later part of the week.

Sound a good idea to me take the TM up on that as you can get as much practice as you wish will there be another driver on hand to help :question: just a thought

If I was you I would have at least a day then the test as may work out cheaper in the long run & play safe

^Ditto^ Pete :laughing: :laughing:

seems like bad training mate,didnt he teach you how to reverse properly?or you were ok during training and nerveus at test time?

good luck for next time,and an advise from me dont get crazy to get it so quick, when you passed it it takes long time to get job anyway,I passed mine beginning of december still I’m doing class 2 jobs for agencies no class 1 job yet.

Peter Smythe:
Hi, and welcome.

If you’re happy with your trainer and vehicle, book some more time and make sure you’re comfortable before you take another test.

Most trainers will offer you an assessment for little or no money so it could be worth looking around.

There are trainers out there who are not especially talented when teaching reverse; hope you haven’t got one of those.

PETE,
Slating other instructors telling people to possibiliy change schools is not constructive he might as well just click your advertising link… Sorry pete, but this is supposed to be constructive for new trainee’s so I do not think it is professional of you to state other trainers possible down falls… also 1 fail si for hesitating not instructors fault and one for reversing it happens to everyone maybe nerves I still find it strange how you are allowed to advertiser your business on here also.

Re the fails, dont worry you cant change the past, no matter how much it costs you will find it some how we always do. just keep going and you will get there and will wonder what all the fuss was about good luck.

discoman:

Peter Smythe:
Hi, and welcome.

PETE,
Slating other instructors telling people to possibiliy change schools is not constructive he might as well just click your advertising link… Sorry pete, but this is supposed to be constructive for new trainee’s so I do not think it is professional of you to state other trainers possible down falls… also 1 fail si for hesitating not instructors fault and one for reversing it happens to everyone maybe nerves I still find it strange how you are allowed to advertiser your business on here also.

Re the fails, dont worry you cant change the past, no matter how much it costs you will find it some how we always do. just keep going and you will get there and will wonder what all the fuss was about good luck.

Not really as I have also said that before & I am not a trainer in fact I have changed trainers or in that process as have a few others on here

I’m not slating other instructors at all. It is a fact, though, that some instructors are not especially talented when teaching reverse.

It’s not unusual for trainees to change instructors if they’re not totally comfortable. So I suggested that, if that was the case (and it isn’t) that it could be worth having a look around.

Certainly didn’t set out to cause offence.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Sometimes it is the trainer not the provider that is at fault as with me I didnt really get on with my C+E trainer but the provider was good did my C there no prob but with a different trainer

Hope this makes some sense & helps

Hi Everyone,

Havent been on here for a while just thought id let you know i FINALLY passed my C + E yesterday 3rd time.Im well chuffed.Just like to thank everyone for there support to keep trying it was worth it.Thanks. :smiley:

Congrats on the pass Trukeral, “Persistance” pays off again !! :smiley: :smiley: :laughing:

Well Done. Feels great doesn’t it.

That feeling will be there for a while yet. You’ll be grinning like a Cheshire Cat :wink: