class 3

Hi all ,

got asked today what class 3 was? presume it was upto 7.5 t but not sure, am i correct?

cheers guys

I think class 3 was up to 10 tonne Class 2 was everything up to a bendy.
I remember my dad had a class 3 he drove a 10 tonne cake van, when they upgraded the 4 tonne Bedfords in the Army they went to class 3 HGV vehicles but by the time I took my test in the early 90’s Class 3 had been phased out to just 2 and 1.

class 3
a goods vehicle designed to have no more than 4 wheels in contact with the road , having a gross weight not exceeding 16 tons

or something very similar!

No longer relevant, done away with 12 years ago.

Used to drive a 7.5 on the removals in the eighties on my car license, what class was that because the only thing I was classed for was an idiot.

aranger:
Used to drive a 7.5 on the removals in the eighties on my car license, what class was that because the only thing I was classed for was an idiot.

Far be it for me to make any judgement about that statement and any possible connection with a large proportion of 7.5 tonne drivers!

(runs for cover)

a friend of mine asked me this the other day

he passed his test in march 2005, has nothin but just a car license, can he drive a 7.5ton ■■

i didnt no the answer haha

There used to be three HGV licences.

Class 3 was a four-wheeled rigid bodied truck

Class 2 was a 6 or 8 wheeled truck

Class 1 was an articulated lorry.

The licencing categories changed from HGV to LGV in the mid-1990’s, but somehow the new name never caught on

Which is why nobody ever says “I am an LGV driver”.

mark h:

he passed his test in march 2005, has nothin but just a car license, can he drive a 7.5ton ■■

No, he’s limited to 3.5t.

mrpj:

mark h:

cheers 4 tha i had an idea it was tha, think u had to pass ya test before 1999 to drive 1 on a car license i think

wasnt sure, thanks

mark h:

mrpj:

mark h:

cheers 4 tha i had an idea it was tha, think u had to pass ya test before 1999 to drive 1 on a car license i think

wasnt sure, thanks

pass before 1997 to get 7.5tonne automatically on your license I think

1997 was the transitional year. :sunglasses:

Not sure if this is relevant but what the heck…

HGV/LGV terminology.
Using the terms ‘Class’ & ‘HGV’ will get many confused as they are no more.
LGV terms are C1. C & C+E and they have a different meaning to the old terms.

OLD -
HGV class 3 - rigid over 7.5 tonnes with 2 axles
HGV class 2 - rigid over 7.5 tonnes with more than 2 axles
HGV class 1 - ARTIC
HGV classes 2 & 3 drivers may also have entitlement to drive Wagon & Drags

NEW -
LGV C - any rigid vehicle over 7.5 tonnes (including an artic unit)
LGV C+E - any C which has a trailer - be it Drag or artic trailer.

HGV classes 2 & 3 drivers who have entitlement to drive Wagon & Drags will have a code 102 (Drawbar trailers only)
Now here come the ‘funny’ bit :wink: - A driver with the 102 code can drive a W&D to the DSA LGV test centre on their own - put L plates on it - do a LGV C+E test in it - if they pass then they have full LGV C+E so can now drive ARTICS - if they fail they can still drive out of test centre on thier own as they still have a W&D licence :exclamation:

Krankee:
1997 was the transitional year. :sunglasses:

That was when the C1 entitlement was removed from the car licence, the old style ‘class’ licences disappeared before then, 1990 IIRC. I know that my licence issued in 1991 had the “new” style categories on it :slight_smile:

There used to be three HGV licences

no there weren’t , there were 4 .

these were then subdivided into 1. 1A…2 2A…3 3A… and 4 4A
the A referred to automatic transmission.

don’t quote me ,but

class 4 a gooods vehicle to which the trailer is attached by partial superimposition, not exceeding 2 tons unladen wieght
class 4 A ditto… with auto
class 3 a goods vehicle designed and constructed to have no more than 4 wheels in contact with the road not exceeding 16 tons
class3A ditto … with auto
class 2 a goods vehicle designed and constructed to have more than 4 wheels in contact with the road
c,■■■ 2A ditto… with auto
class1 a goods vehicle to which a trailer is attached by partial superimposition having an unladen weight exceeeding 2 tons
class1 A ditto … with auto

something very similar to the above. seems a long time ago now!!

The weights were irrelevant, a class 3 was a vehicle over 7.5 tonnes GVW with 2 axles - it covered 16 tonnes and when the limits went up 17 tonnes (possibly even 18 tonnes , cant remember wether the weights went up to 18 tonne before the licence change) - With a class three you could also drive a wagon and drag- when the law was changed to make wagon and drag a class one criteria class 3 drivers who could show they drove a wagon and drag got a grandfather right exemption to continue driving wagon and drags but couldnt drive artics

Class two was a multi axle rigid + trailer, same clause as above

Class one was articulated

Life was so much simpler then :slight_smile:

The “A” clause is correct tho, although there werent that many automatic trucks about in those days

Class 4 did exist. My dad told me about them when i was doing my Class C Training

They were a similar setup to the picture below. A Pickup Truck with a mini 5th wheel coupling

Class 4 licences were usually used for driving Scammell Scarabs, Scamell Townsman and Karrier Bantams . The unit had to weigh less than 2 tons
Usually had scammell automatic couplings not a fifth wheel.
GPO, British Rail and BRS used them mainly.

mrpj:

mark h:

my friend has now asked how does he go about gettin a license to drive a 7.5tonne? is it just a class 2 license??

mark h:

mrpj:

mark h:

my friend has now asked how does he go about gettin a license to drive a 7.5tonne? is it just a class 2 license??

C1 allows you to drive anything up to 7.5t, C allows any rigid. As the medical, theory and test (obviously it’ll be a larger test vehicle for the C) are the same he may as well do the latter.