class 3

cheers mrpj

I am of the opinion that the C1 test will gradually fade away…

It almost has. I’ve done 2 this year :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

As long as the category doesn’t or im knackered lol

And amid all the answers on here, we also had the advantage of a special HGV L Plate that allowed us to have a proper on the job training with an old hand who made you buy the tea, rope and sheet the load up and then drive home afterwards. :stuck_out_tongue:

cheers guys

the reason behind the original question was there is a job currently being advertised in the york press for a class 3 driver, guess they must be abit behind the times

dle1uk:
cheers guys

the reason behind the original question was there is a job currently being advertised in the york press for a class 3 driver, guess they must be abit behind the times

Well, the thing is that the “LGV” thing never caught on. Trucks are HGVs and you have an HGV licence.

Everywhere you go, you see signs for “HGV parking” or “HGV diesel”. You never see signs for “LGV anything”.

And since it has now been over 15 years since the licensing categories changed, I guess we will never call ourselves “LGV drivers”. The Government can’t force us to call ourselves something we don’t want to call ourselves.

dle1uk:
cheers guys

Perhaps it is to drive a very old truck :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: - sorry :blush: :blush:

ROG:

a conclusion that i have come up with too. limiters, drivers hours etc, it all points in that direction which is unfair on anyone who has had to pay for their C1 licence over the past 12 years. the government wont compensate or upgrade them when they pull the plug on their jobs :imp:

a conclusion that i have come up with too. limiters, drivers hours etc, it all points in that direction which is unfair on anyone who has had to pay for their C1 licence over the past 12 years. the government wont compensate or upgrade them when they pull the plug on their jobs

Probably not. But don’t forget all those people who only trained on class 3 and then magically got their class 2 in 1997 when HGV became LGV. Maybe it’s one of those things where some win, some loose :laughing: :laughing:

I cannot see the C1 catagory being scrapped - just the training & test for anyone thinking of upgrading from a B licence.

ROG:
I cannot see the C1 catagory being scrapped - just the training & test for anyone thinking of upgrading from a B licence.

There must be as many if not more 7.5 tonne drivers as hgv drivers and while they wouldn`t give a toss about that as they would have Grandfather rights, I would like to see that run by companies who rely heavily on 7.5 tonne motors.

All wages would go up to class 2 rates for a start, then there’s driver recruitment with loads of drivers wanting to drive a bigger vehicle as that’s what they passed their test in.

aranger:
There must be as many if not more 7.5 tonne drivers as hgv drivers and while they wouldn`t give a toss about that as they would have Grandfather rights, I would like to see that run by companies who rely heavily on 7.5 tonne motors.

That would also be my take - companies using only C1s are likely to have most of their drivers driving on grandfather rights with very few being post 97 C1 test passes.
Unless those companies are going to pay for B licence holders to do the C1 training and test so they do not ‘wonder’ then the C1 only driver is going to be a rare breed in the future as those with grandfather rights retire etc.
Anyone paying for their own training is going to do the C - unless they are daft.

Bit off topic - many of those companies and drivers on C1s are unaware of the new driver cpc requirements - I wonder how many after Sept 10 2014 are going to get a shock if stopped and told they cannot drive any further and also may get done for not being insured.

Thanks orys - changed it :slight_smile:

ROG:
Bit off topic - many of those companies and drivers on C1s are unaware of the new driver cpc requirements - I wonder how many after Sept 10 2104 are going to get a shock if stopped and told they cannot drive any further and also may get done for not being insured.

They have plentyof time - 95 years :grimacing: - to keep up with that :slight_smile: