Class 1 work in and around Reading - looking for a change

Since getting my class 1 early last year I’ve worked for Tesco through TRG based at Reading DC.
It’s an easy job, the work’s a piece of cake and they dont chase you but I’m getting a bit bored. I fancy something different but don’t know where to start as this is all I’ve done.

I’m intrigued to know if anyone can offer any advice on types of work or good firms in the area or nearby. I like working in the day and being home every night so my job suits me but really I’d like a permanent contract and to be valued more as am employee. Maybe my own truck each day would be nice too.
Cheers.

I find it really difficult to find any HGV jobs that aren’t advertised through an agency and there’s never any detail about the job. I don’t like multi drop. I’d rather drive a long journey once or twice everyday than doing different runs everyday, waking up each day not knowing where you’re gonna be heading whether it be 2 drops in sunny Bournemouth or 4 drops in central London.
Don’t know whether I should just take a punt at something or if that’s a bad idea.

CTS in Reading were looking for drivers a few weeks back. I am guessing that it’s not the type of work you are after, but I don’t know everything they do so you might find something that fits. Worth a call.

Apparently homebase are moving their RDC operation to reading in the very near future,the drivers at Swindon are up in arms about it,not the best motors but the pay is £31,000 p/a,i say this because I don’t think their drivers will drive 40 miles to reading everyday so I reckon they will be looking at recruiting,not a bad job,i was an agency there for around two years and most days were a piece of pxxs,still miss it now after nearly 2 yrs away from it,there is also QTR transport off richfield avenue,WHSMITH were in reading ( :neutral_face: don’t know if they still are)but they were running class 1 wagons ,best thing is to spend a couple of hours driving around the industrial estates looking for transport companies,take their numbers and give them a call on your mobile to ask of any vacancies,if they say yes you are just around the corner

How about QTR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot for the replies!

I’ll look into homebase but as for QTR I went there when I first had my license and the manager suggested class 2 multi drop pallet work with a second man (not great pay either) which I understand but it’s not something I’m willing to do at the moment.

Is there such thing as trunking in the day… that sounds like my sort of thing.

I think I’ll do some driving around industrial estates as suggested at some point too. I’m willing to do the leg work to find the right thing.

Garns_:

I’ll look into homebase but as for QTR I went there when I first had my license and the manager suggested class 2 multi drop pallet work with a second man (not great pay either) which I understand but it’s not something I’m willing to do at the moment.

TNT etc run full trucks to hubs during the day and some pallet companies too

blue estate:

Garns_:

TNT etc run full trucks to hubs during the day and some pallet companies too

Cheers I’ll look into TNT , believe it’s in Swindon… bit far but worth a look

Rawlings hook might be worth a try

Ah yes forgot about them cheers

Garns_:

Not sure how long for homebase,could even be next year and you might get a good job by then,but does not hurt to keep them in mind

truckman020:

Garns_:

Not sure how long for homebase,could even be next year and you might get a good job by then,but does not hurt to keep them in mind

Agreed thank you for your response

Sadly for you Tesco are about the only ones in Reading doing class1 day work, except maybe K&N and M&S at Thatcham. Most other jobs are either multi drop class 2, or away all week class1. QTR are at Greenham now but I don’t think the money is that great.

Ken

trucken:
Sadly for you Tesco are about the only ones in Reading doing class1 day work, except maybe K&N and M&S at Thatcham. Most other jobs are either multi drop class 2, or away all week class1. QTR are at Greenham now but I don’t think the money is that great.

Ken

Yeah it’s starting to look that way. I mean, Tesco is good but I just want something a bit more fulfilling. There’s a lot of snotty nosed Tesco drivers that literally won’t even make eye contact with you for being on agency. It ■■■■■■ me off.
End of the day it’s easy work but you are just a number not valued at all.
Thanks for the reply.

QTR have been bought out by Palletforce. The guy at Greenham said he believes in ‘one man one truck’ and they are updating all their kit

TRG have the agency contract so you could talk to Matt if you fancy a change? I was told £13 an hour plus extras (I like nights) but they are still arguing it out I believe

Also GIST, DBC at Thatcham? Worth a drive around that estate anyway as there seems to be loads there

Problem is when you do a job search all you get is agency work… seems to me agency’s hold all the cards these days

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

If K&N are still at Theale…

Might be worth a try.

Cheers, yeah when I went to QTR he said the same thing about one man per truck and they own all their own trucks etc. I see them coming into Tesco DC quite regularly too.

As for k&n does anyone know what the work is like?
If it’s the little artics delivering barrels to pubs I don’t fancy that

So there is an industrial estate in Thatcham with Gist/k&n and other firms thats worth looking at then…?

Anybody delivered building materials before?

yourhavingalarf:
If K&N are still at Theale…

Might be worth a try.

They’ve moved to Reading. I’ve delivered there but can’t remember the road name off the top of my head.