Class 1 training - day 1 of 1.5

Today was my first day of Class1 training. I did my Class2 in May in a Scania 93M and I was impressed with the instructor, so I asked him how much training he thought I would need to get my Class1. “A couple of days should do it”, was the reply. Well, I wasn’t convinced, but he knows best I thought. Well, those 2 days have come up today and tomorrow, except my test is 1pm tomorrow (that’s 13h00 on Friday the 13th for the superstitious among you), so it’s really only 1.5 days of training. I wasn’t convinced at all… I was doing the training in the same Scania I did my Class2 in, with a drawbar trailer added.

We started off by going straight off to the test track place to do the reverse, decouple/recouple and controlled stop.

The reverse was what I was worried about, and it turns out I needn’t have worried too much as, after a demonstration, I managed to put it into the box without a shunt 5 times in a row (although for the first 3 he was stood there telling me what to do, so I suppose they don’t count). At this point I was happy.

Then we did the decouple/recouple. Easy enough, but a lot of stuff to remember.

Then the controlled stop. Easy enough too - just the same as on Class2.

We then set off for some driving around, off towards Leeds. As people have said, a drawbar trailer follows the unit pretty closely, and it’s only on the really tight turns you have to be careful. I managed to get back into driving the thing fairly well (same unit as I did Class2 in). We spent a bit of time driving around and somehow I managed to avoid every single kerb. By the time we stopped for lunch I was getting well into the swing of it, and I was a lot less concerned about only having 1.5 days to get ready for the test.

After lunch we did another decouple/recouple, and I got that all right apart from forgetting about the checking of the plate/mot on the trailer, and off we went for a drive around York. Again I somehow managed to avoid all the kerbs (something of a miracle as when I did my Class2 I was clonking them all over the place), and had a really good drive.

Essentially it all went really well, and I’m now not too worried about tomorrow’s test - it seems my instructor’s judgement was spot on.

I’ll let you all know how I get on tomorrow.

Paul

Nice one Paul, good luck for tomorrow.

good luck for tomorrow paul :smiley:
if your taking ya test at wetherby will you let me know the route they take ya please.

english_jock:
good luck for tomorrow paul :smiley:

Thanks to Coffeholic for his wish of good luck also.

english_jock:
if your taking ya test at wetherby will you let me know the route they take ya please.

I am. I had my Class2 there, which took me into the middle of York. I’ll try and remember some details of the route I take, but I couldn’t really for the last one as I didn’t know the roads too well and my mind wasn’t really on remembering them…

Paul

Good luck for tomorrow, Paul, keeping fingers crossed for ya

Another Paul

Like I said in the chat room the other night Paul,good luck.

I’m away tomorrow until Saturday lunch time,so I’ll catch up with your result them.

Ken.

just keep to what your doing and you’ll fly through.good luck :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink:

good luck Paul, don’t rush owt and you’ll have it sorted

I am. I had my Class2 there, which took me into the middle of York. I’ll try and remember some details of the route I take, but I couldn’t really for the last one as I didn’t know the roads too well and my mind wasn’t really on remembering them…

Paul
[/quote]

no worry`s mate,just concentrate on passing and if ya remember the route thats sound if not no probs :laughing:

Best of luck mate!

I have been told many of times that you have a better chance of passing in the rain! not sure if its true; but lets hope it is and it rains tomorrow.

remember he doesnt expect you to be an expert. he only wants to see you can drive safley. so take you time and show him how good you are!