Class 1 questions

I have my class 1, however, I passed my class 2 and then a month later straight to class 1. So, I have never actually spent years and years in a class 2 and then moved up, it was basically all about getting 1.

I was supposed to start with a company last week, but because of me failing mod 4 and adding a few weeks onto my training and other issues I have to start from scratch and find a different company. When/If I find a company to take me on. I know that I will be with a driver for the first week, but I had a few questions, I think like everyone else, I was only taught “how to reverse for test” On the top of the windscreen was written. “Right two turns, stop when you see the rivet in the trailer, straighten up, left 3 turns” Or whatever the actual turn amount was I forget. :laughing: It worked beautifully either way. The best advice my instructor gave me was “left to see it and right to lose it” This works well for small reverse manoeuvres, however…

For instance if the yellow truck wasn’t there and I had to reverse into that space, it’s impossible.

I now have all cards and test passed etc, so in theory I can drive a class 1… in the real world probably not. :blush:

I’m in Hull, so I keep hearing about maybe travelling to Grimbsy/Goole for better chances of finding a job as a newbie?
I can’t drive in steel toe boots, do yards have any issues with steel toe trainers? Or would I have to wear boots and then change into normal trainers for driving?

Thats actually quite an easy space. Lots of room in front of all the wagons for you to position yourself. When you start, they should put you with an experience driver who can show you the ropes. It all comes with practise. Today I managed to get the drawbar straight in the test box so I’m getting slightly better at it.

Radar19:
Thats actually quite an easy space. Lots of room in front of all the wagons for you to position yourself. When you start, they should put you with an experience driver who can show you the ropes. It all comes with practise. Today I managed to get the drawbar straight in the test box so I’m getting slightly better at it.

I tried finding a pic of a proper tight trailer park, but i couldn’t find a decent pic.

PandyDandy:

Radar19:

I tried finding a pic of a proper tight trailer park, but i couldn’t find a decent pic.

As I said, it all comes with practice. Have a look at this video, this is where they expect you to put trucks.

You’re not helping radar :laughing:

PandyDandy:

Radar19:

try Strensham Services,M5 Southbound!

That Croydon video doesn’t help. When I go to a tight yard I just think, “someone came in here yesterday with an artic and there’ll be someone in tomorrow. If they can do it so can I”
That’s true of Croydon as well. You’re not the first driver to ever perform those maneuvers, as tight as they were.

mick.mh2racing:
That Croydon video doesn’t help. When I go to a tight yard I just think, “someone came in here yesterday with an artic and there’ll be someone in tomorrow. If they can do it so can I”
That’s true of Croydon as well. You’re not the first driver to ever perform those maneuvers, as tight as they were.

true but it was to illustrate the fact that you are sent repeat to silly places that are tight as hell so its best to get used to it.

Meet me one night and you can have a go at reversing my wagon, it comes in time! It’s very daunting at first thinking people are watching etc…

We are all new at one time or another don’t worry about it. They is a few people on here local which will point you in the right direction if they can!

Ask Ronnie P. He will help you out.

Pillar of the community.

eagerbeaver:
Ask Ronnie P. He will help you out.

Pillar of the community.

Ronnie only points people in the direction of Hull royal infirmary these days mate

PandyDandy:
You’re not helping radar :laughing:

LOL, I was thinking that… :smiley:

Dandy with a bit of a gay name! :open_mouth: Is maybe right and smart to worry, or be concerned.
Newsflash: All Newbies are crap at reversing!!!

The picture you put up Dandy is easy to reverse into, and that’s because of the space in front of it. I’m sure you are thinking more about pulling a 90 degree reverse into a narrow entrance or side street. Well guess what mate, you will screw it up! :laughing: We all did and still do on occasion…

But I feel your concerns are more about becoming helpless and unable to resolve a maneuvering issue…

Well the best way to help that is to knock on firms doors and get a full-time job, as they WILL (or should) get an experienced driver ride shotgun with you for a few days, as a safety blanket. You won’t normally get that with an agency!
The next step is to NEVER EVER be frightened to get out and check, or take 100 shunts to solve the problem! It doesn’t matter about who you are holding up, stuff em!!! :imp: They won’t help you fill out the accident report… :unamused:

Driving isn’t all about ability, it’s also about your thinking and staying calm mate. I was scared stiff about reversing an Artic to start with in the real, so as an experienced VAN driving limper at a place that ran both classes, I drove another drivers Artic run (for free) for the next 2 days. On that assessment the firm let me loose on their Artic runs, and I made a complete hash of most of my initial reversing! :grimacing: But through getting out and checking, and my previous VAN experience of not caring about holding people up…

I’ve yet to hit anything in an Artic! :open_mouth:
(Now if that isn’t the kiss of death, I don’t know what is! :laughing:)

Since starting, my reversing improves week by week, and month by month! :smiley:
How else would you expect it to work? :wink:

One last tip is to remember that when reversing, you need to consider the geometry of TWO rectangles, and not ONE, as they are not both heading in the same direction… (But you’ll soon learn that! :laughing:)

The pic I posted isn’t great, but I still wouldn’t even like to reverse in that space. :laughing:

I think the worst part is the other people watching you do the reverse. Because, I know i’d be a scumbag and judge everyone else too. :blush: I know I shouldn’t, but I think we all do it.

PandyDandy:
The pic I posted isn’t great, but I still wouldn’t even like to reverse in that space. :laughing:

I think the worst part is the other people watching you do the reverse. Because, I know i’d be a scumbag and judge everyone else too. :blush: I know I shouldn’t, but I think we all do it.

You shouldn’t be criticizing, you should be concentrating on and assessing the people who nailed it, and learn from them! :wink:
Planning and set-up positioning is more than half the battle…

Don’t worry as you say you will be out with someone the 1st week so they will be there to help

Unlike a lot of us was given the keys to my lorry loaded then away sat watched a few old hands do it if in doubt asked for help watching back etc & learnt got out & had a look a few times remember you can put as many shunts in as you like last night I watched a guy take 6 shunts but it was an awkward bay

Radar19:

PandyDandy:

Radar19:

As I said, it all comes with practice. Have a look at this video, this is where they expect you to put trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJwoGTPxPu8

That’s the Whitgift Center in Croyden isn’t it.
I used to deliver there every day for about 7 years…
These sort of places look worse than they really are. Just use all the space you have and take as long as you need…

These places are a lot harder with an artic.

Unless you are a reversing God like me. There is a reason why you graduate UP to Class 1 Jedi status.

eagerbeaver:
These places are a lot harder with an artic.

Unless you are a reversing God like me. There is a reason why you graduate UP to Class 1 Jedi status.

You gone full time now EB?

Yeah. Started with Downton’s mate.

DAF XF’s with the Super Space Cab are the only wagons I can fit my head in.

eagerbeaver:
Yeah. Started with Downton’s mate.

DAF XF’s with the Super Space Cab are the only wagons I can fit my head in.

Nice one mate haha :laughing: