Class 1 questions

Reversing is something that gets easier the more you do it and even then you have good and bad days . The whole thing with driving an artic is getting used to the size and space you need to perform manoeuvres . Any manoeuvre you do look at the space you think you need and then take some more particularly when reversing as it gives you more space to correct if you oversteer .
There is no easy answer that pic you posted is a nice easy one as you will see when you are out on the road and gaining experience. Having said that you can still stuff up a nice easy one like that .

I agree with everyone that reversing gets miles easier the more you do it. :smiley:

I do supermarket deliveries, so you come-across some hellishly difficult manoeuvres and reverses, but your skills come-on leaps and bounds.

Some yards are so tight, you have to jackknife around, and then blindside onto a bay with cages either side of it. I did one like that last week, and the shop was only built last year! Why they designed it like that, I’ll never know! Delivering to petrol stations is always a bugger too, like having to blindside reverse into a loading area with customer’s cars either side, fuel pumps restricting your turns, and impatient motorists trying to wedge themselves through every gap tiny gap you leave!

If you don’t like sarky comments, don’t do petrol station shop deliveries, never mind trying to reverse into a bay at a services! On Saturday afternoon I had a drop at a petrol station with a 12m trailer, at a ridiculously busy time. I saw the loading area was free, so I got into position for the reverse, blocking all of the exits for the fuel pumps, and then some fat, middle-aged munter slung her Yaris straight into the loading area, giving me nowhere to go. I got out and politely told her that I was reversing into that area, and it’s a loading area, so could she move out of it, because I’m blocking the exit, and she first made a quick movement towards her car, and then back towards the shop, where she replied; “I’m just getting a bottle of milk, I’ll be two minutes…”, then she waddled-off into the shop! The amount of comments I was getting from the trapped motorists were countless. “F****** useless driver” this, and “where did he get his licence” that… The stick I was getting because some Heather from Eastenders lookalike wanted her dose of cholesterol, it could send you over the edge! :open_mouth:

Rottweiler22:
If you don’t like sarky comments, don’t do petrol station shop deliveries, never mind trying to reverse into a bay at a services! On Saturday afternoon I had a drop at a petrol station with a 12m trailer, at a ridiculously busy time. I saw the loading area was free, so I got into position for the reverse, blocking all of the exits for the fuel pumps, and then some fat, middle-aged munter slung her Yaris straight into the loading area, giving me nowhere to go. I got out and politely told her that I was reversing into that area, and it’s a loading area, so could she move out of it, because I’m blocking the exit, and she first made a quick movement towards her car, and then back towards the shop, where she replied; “I’m just getting a bottle of milk, I’ll be two minutes…”, then she waddled-off into the shop! The amount of comments I was getting from the trapped motorists were countless. “F****** useless driver” this, and “where did he get his licence” that… The stick I was getting because some Heather from Eastenders lookalike wanted her dose of cholesterol, it could send you over the edge! :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Fun isn’t it! :smiley: And you can’t let it bother you mate, I’ve had a pensioner call me the worst expletives you can imagine just after he’s watched me deliver and carry a child’s coffin into an undertakers, his poor wife was blushing in the passenger seat… Sadly some lose the ability to think rationally, and sadder still is that some have no comprehension that your job has to be done and most of the time their impatience only delays them further! :unamused: As for sarky comments, I try to give a variety of dead pan silly answers to their digs, and if that doesn’t work for you, just say: “I Polish, I no speak English!” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But you love it really! :wink:

It’s also fun when you call in the motorway services when it’s rammed as usual.

BUT…there is that one nasty angled blindside remaining…that no-one wants. But you NEED it.

And after 5 mins you then say " F*** it ", and go and park in the coach bay…

eagerbeaver:
And after 5 mins you then say " F*** it ", and go and park in the coach bay…

Yet to be in that scenario, but can’t promise it isn’t going to happen, still better than where I’ve seen some bellends park…

You sometimes don’t have a choice mate. There are those who will say " plan your breaks better ", but if you are on a really long run (mainly m/way) you don’t really have too much choice. Once you turn in though on 4.15 and there are no truck spaces you have to get creative, lol.

I believe it, as there has to be a reasonable explanation to some of the places, that’s why I can’t really criticise too much, I’ve never done that type of work…

I’m guessing it must have been a VERY long day for the driver that blocked the left hand pump at Chieveley services! :laughing:

eagerbeaver:
You sometimes don’t have a choice mate. There are those who will say " plan your breaks better ", but if you are on a really long run (mainly m/way) you don’t really have too much choice. Once you turn in though on 4.15 and there are no truck spaces you have to get creative, lol.

No stress, just use the pumps :wink:

If around London on the m25 just park under the bridges :wink:

Having been driving class 1 solid now for 3.5 months, I’m finding that my positioning to start the maneuver is getting much better. I used to try and pull to an angle and find the rear of the trailer was miles from where I wanted it to be. I’ve found that if I leave it to turn forward more than I was previously expecting I get a much easier angle to just have some gentle corrections going back and usually on either 1st or 2nd attempt. I do get the odd bay where I make a balls of it but I don’t let it worry me too much. Definitely find that the better you start out the easier it is. I still make sure in the trailer park in the depot that I give myself a hard reverse every now and again to make sure that I can at least get it in the zone to have corrections and get it in if I don’t manage to first time. You’ll have days where it just won’t happen no matter what you do. You get there in the end but you feel like a plum. Then there’s days where you look like a veteran! Biggest tip for reversing is LESS steering… almost everyone waves their arms around when starting. Once you get that in your head along with a starting point, your well on your way getting in. Use as much space as you want when it’s there. When I’m worried about tight bays, I’ll get the back end in the gap and if it’s not looking quite right I’ll pull forward at that point to get straighter. Repeat as many times as you need. I do most of my work for a supermarket in a massive spacious DC so when it’s quite I go and have a practice in a corner.