Class 1 age from next year? No longer 21?

One of my first posts, but I have been visiting for a while.

As a bit of background, I am hating my current job and plan to leave and do my test so I can work with my dad on a tipper.

We enquired about the young drivers scheme, but after some research, I was told that I should hold off, as the age limit for Class 1 was getting lowered from 21 to 18 from later next year.

Has anyone else heard this, or am I getting bad info :question:

What are everyones views on this if it true?

ETA: All just rumour from what I’ve been told!

I believe it’s true and has something to do with the driver CPC which is being introduced (Sep 2009 for new LGV drivers)

This is quite correct, from September 2009 when the new style tests and Driver CPC come in, an 18 year old will be able to hold C and C+E licences.

However I can’t see that there will be many insurance companies who will be keen to insure a 18 year old in an artic, unless there is pressure brought on them by the industry or government - thats just my opinion of course - only time will tell. The young drivers scheme will cease at the same time.

Thanks for confirming. I will probably hold off for September 09 then!

I can see the reasoning behind the step, given the reputed shortage of drivers, but, as a 19 year old, I can’t see this being much of a success. Unless you have a background or previous experience of the industry, I can see it being a big step up for some people.

Surely the YDS allowed a more progressive learning process than, for example passing your test after a week (or less) of instruction, and being given free range with any larger motor.

Presumably the ongoing training required for the CPC will correct for the above scenario in theory?

Never mind, the way fuel costs are going, it won’t be worth running another motor anyway! :unamused:

This will be quite amusing to hear the conversations wiv the boss.

You have 8am tip in the morning?

“Yeah whatever” “sniff” :wink:

The blinged up trucks wiv the sound system out of a second hand Saxo and the nightly cruise around Halfords car park in the truck.

I imagine some chav safety gear as well.
the hi viz hoody

and pristine white safety boots.

Shazza is in the passenger seat swearing at Junior and feeling the bump when the baby keeps kicking.

This is meant to be taken as a joke

Wheel Nut:

The blinged up trucks wiv the sound system out of a second hand Saxo and the nightly cruise around Halfords car park in the truck.

the hi viz hoody

Shazza is in the passenger seat swearing at Junior and feeling the bump when the baby keeps kicking.

FPMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

but seriously, do you think it will work? i dont, i know they will have a more rigorous test and have to do the CPC but will that make a blind bit of difference to some (not all) of the chavs that will be working in the business when it does come in. i wouldnt trust some of the kids you see sat outside macdonalds in thier saxo’s and corsa’s with a dinky toy let alone 44 tonnes of solid steel.

i now this doesnt apply to all of them but the majority seem a lot more immature than when we were that age (by we i mean the people that are 35ish and over). i cant see them wanting to do long hours and being away from home and thier LCD tv’s and thier mums cooking.

plus what about when the boss asks them to go over thier hours. a lot of 18 year olds wont want to say no as they wont grasp the seriousness of it all or wont want stand up to the boss.

i know this wont be for all of them but i think the majority will be like that.

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome FL10Tipper :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

…do my test so I can work with my dad on a tipper.

In your particular case where you have a job to go to at 18 then I would imagine that the insurance issue will be sorted for you :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for the welcome Rog!

I’m sure insurance will be sorted out, but think passing the test may be more difficult!

Anyhow, I am currently working as a trainee accountant and can’t hack being stuck in an office all day. Sure a nice old school eight legger would suit me better!

:laughing:

Giblsa:

Wheel Nut:

the hi viz hoody

FPMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

but seriously, do you think it will work? i dont, i know they will have a more rigorous test and have to do the CPC but will that make a blind bit of difference to some (not all) of the chavs that will be working in the business when it does come in. i wouldnt trust some of the kids you see sat outside macdonalds in thier saxo’s and corsa’s with a dinky toy let alone 44 tonnes of solid steel.

i now this doesnt apply to all of them but the majority seem a lot more immature than when we were that age (by we i mean the people that are 35ish and over). i cant see them wanting to do long hours and being away from home and thier LCD tv’s and thier mums cooking.

plus what about when the boss asks them to go over thier hours. a lot of 18 year olds wont want to say no as they wont grasp the seriousness of it all or wont want stand up to the boss.

i know this wont be for all of them but i think the majority will be like that.

LMAO at those posts ^^

This is great news to me. i have a few points which i would like an answer too and the rest is just a bit of background info :smiley:

1. Does anyone know if the car driving age has been increased to 18 yet and has anyone got any info on that issue, thanks

i now this doesnt apply to all of them

1. that does and does not apply to me in some ways, im 15 and my dads a farmer who i help out a fair bit, i have been driving on my own for nearly 3 years now, you do the maths, so i should hopefully have a little more experience than others. i want to become a lgv driver but not sure i will be taken on when im 18 due to my age.

Car driving age is still 17, there’s talk of it being raised although I haven’t heard anything about when / if that’s going to happen.

smurfworth:
LMAO at those posts ^^.

why? it is a legitimate point of view.

Giblsa:

smurfworth:
2. that does and does not apply to me in some ways, im 15 and my dads a farmer who i help out a fair bit, i have been driving on my own for nearly 3 years now, you do the maths, so i should hopefully have a little more experience than others. i want to become a lgv driver but not sure i will be taken on when im 18 due to my age.

then i guess you will be one of the ones it wont apply to then? i know there are some sensible kids/youngsters out there who want to come in to this business but some will just see the pound signs (not that many pound signs to be honest) and want to do it. they wont want to work 15 hours, having handballed a full load off, have 9 hours rest and then do the same again the following day will they. you might, as i guess you would be used to that sort of work (if not longer hours and heavier work) from the farm but some wont want to even get out of bed before 11!

Giblsa:

smurfworth:
LMAO at those posts ^^.

why? it is a legitimate point of view.

i just found it funny thats all

Giblsa:

smurfworth:
2. that does and does not apply to me in some ways, im 15 and my dads a farmer who i help out a fair bit, i have been driving on my own for nearly 3 years now, you do the maths, so i should hopefully have a little more experience than others. i want to become a lgv driver but not sure i will be taken on when im 18 due to my age.

then i guess you will be one of the ones it wont apply to then? i know there are some sensible kids/youngsters out there who want to come in to this business but some will just see the pound signs (not that many pound signs to be honest) and want to do it. they wont want to work 15 hours, having handballed a full load off, have 9 hours rest and then do the same again the following day will they. you might, as i guess you would be used to that sort of work (if not longer hours and heavier work) from the farm but some wont want to even get out of bed before 11!

i must admit that i sometimes dont get out of bed before 11 but i suppose thats because im still in the ‘Growing stage’ and sometimes its like 8 hrs driving straight with food/drink on the move. hopefully the link in rog’s signiture will help a little bit more. also cheers for the reply mrpj :slight_smile:

smurfworth:
i must admit that i sometimes dont get out of bed before 11 but i suppose thats because im still in the ‘Growing stage’

:laughing: :laughing: i would love to stay in bed until 11 but now a days even if i have a day off i tend to wake up at about 8 anyway! :cry: :cry:

goodluck anyway mate if you do decide to do it, you should be alright with your experience of driving on the farm…

or have you got a saxo and hang round macdonalds carpark :laughing: :laughing:

Giblsa:

smurfworth:
i must admit that i sometimes dont get out of bed before 11 but i suppose thats because im still in the ‘Growing stage’

:laughing: :laughing: i would love to stay in bed until 11 but now a days even if i have a day off i tend to wake up at about 8 anyway! :cry: :cry:

goodluck anyway mate if you do decide to do it, you should be alright with your experience of driving on the farm…

or have you got a saxo and hang round macdonalds carpark :lol: :laughing:

lol, nope im not in with that group, its more like a nissan navara :laughing:
thanks alot

What about VOSA? Poor buggers.
They will need a phrase book in “CHAV” as well as polish, slovak, etc,etc

“Let me see da cardz n dont b dissin me or az be putin a cap in da ■■■”. said vosa.

“you dissin me i get me homies yo be in da ozbital man” replied chav.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

limeyphil:
What about VOSA? Poor buggers.
They will need a phrase book in “CHAV” as well as polish, slovak, etc,etc

“Let me see da cardz n dont b dissin me or az be putin a cap in da ■■■”. said vosa.

“you dissin me i get me homies yo be in da ozbital man” replied chav.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dont forget to put the word ‘init’ in there somewhere :laughing:

mrpj:
Car driving age is still 17, there’s talk of it being raised although I haven’t heard anything about when / if that’s going to happen.

I went to the DSA consultation meeting in Leicester last week and they said there is no point in raising the 17 to 18 for B tests as it would not make any difference to road safety amongst the 17 to 25 age group

ROG:

mrpj:

I went to the DSA consultation meeting in Leicester last week and they said there is no point in raising the 17 to 18 for B tests as it would not make any difference to road safety amongst the 17 to 25 age group

so your saying that they will not be raising the driving age?

smurfworth:

ROG:

mrpj:

so your saying that they will not be raising the driving age?

There are no current plans to - NO - and it looks like there will not be in the forseeable future - no gain in doing it - thats what the DSA big bods told me

How confusing for an 18 year old hgv driver.

Boss. “You’re on reefers tomorrow”
Chav “Like. how do you know”
Boss “because i’m telling you, You’re on reefers tomorrow”
Chav “Top one, sorted, Can az b bringin me homies, day’ll bring da own skins an dat, init.”

:laughing: