Clamping as of tomorrow?

Is it true what someone just told. me, as of tomorrow you can not get clamped on private property?. for example Swan Vally estate??

DannyDoncaster:
Is it true what someone just told. me, as of tomorrow you can not get clamped on private property?. for example Swan Vally estate??

It is actually the 1st of October.

From 1st of October, Clamping or any other form of immobilisation (including towing) will be a criminal offence.

So soon, there will be literally NOTHING that these jokers can do to prevent you parking on private property. Even thier “parking charge notices” are meaningless. Furthermore, if you appeal against a parking charge on private land, the issuer has to pay a fee of £27+vat for the appeal, whether they win or not. There has been some talk on other sites of turning up on masse to private car parks, earning a “parking charge” then appealing so the parking cowboys have to pay £27 x A Lot :smiley:

Could they use barriers/gates? Or even just block you in?

claretmatt:
From 1st of October, Clamping or any other form of immobilisation (including towing) will be a criminal offence.

So soon, there will be literally NOTHING that these jokers can do to prevent you parking on private property. Even thier “parking charge notices” are meaningless. Furthermore, if you appeal against a parking charge on private land, the issuer has to pay a fee of £27+vat for the appeal, whether they win or not. There has been some talk on other sites of turning up on masse to private car parks, earning a “parking charge” then appealing so the parking cowboys have to pay £27 x A Lot :smiley:

thank you the person must have got the date wrong. sounds like a plan all turning up and having a parking session. :smiley:

mucker85:
Could they use barriers/gates? Or even just block you in?

I would think that’s entrapment?

Many industrial estates have only one or two access points, it wouldn’t cost a lot to employ a guard in a little box with a barrier, who would only let vehicles in that are visiting the units on the estate. Similar to Pilsworth Ind. Est. near Bury.

I think MSA’s should be hit hard, as in actually block the whole site and force them to drop there price, starting with clackett lane and there highway robbing £30 charge.

They can not do ANYTHING to restrict your vehicles freedom of movement from 1 October

Including barrier, parking a van in front, towing away or clamping.

If any of this happens after 1st of October, you can call the Police as it will be a criminal offence

weeto:
I think MSA’s should be hit hard, as in actually block the whole site and force them to drop there price, starting with clackett lane and there highway robbing £30 charge.

just don’t pay the parking charge, the companies that have been managing the car parks for the service area operators and sending these parking charge notices have now be challenged in court, they lost the first time and then lost at appeal, the ruling by the judges stated that “only the land owner” could take someone to court and then only for damages, now what damages means i am not to clear? but i would of said if any only the £30 they lost for you not paying so i don’t think it is going to worth their time, now as for charges people have already paid i would of thought they had good grounds to claim them back, as the judges ruled that this activity was illegal.

and the other point is the judges said “only the land owners”. now as nearly all motorway services are leased by the likes of moto ect, who could take you to court? the highways agency as they are the land owner?
but i would of thought not as they have not incured any damages by you parking there, so it looks it might be a free for all in october :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Damages are losses incurred by the landowner

If it’s a supermarket car park and it’s normally free, then the damages would be nothing, provided your parking there hasn’t prevented someone else from shopping at the store. (I.E. The car park was completely full, and you took the last space)

MSA’s will still get there money, they would just start charging you to use the toilets, sinks and showers.

wildfire:

weeto:

just don’t pay the parking charge, the companies that have been managing the car parks for the service area operators and sending these parking charge notices have now be challenged in court, they lost the first time and then lost at appeal, the ruling by the judges stated that “only the land owner” could take someone to court and then only for damages, now what damages means i am not to clear? but i would of said if any only the £30 they lost for you not paying so i don’t think it is going to worth their time, now as for charges people have already paid i would of thought they had good grounds to claim them back, as the judges ruled that this activity was illegal.

and the other point is the judges said “only the land owners”. now as nearly all motorway services are leased by the likes of moto ect, who could take you to court? the highways agency as they are the land owner?
but i would of thought not as they have not incured any damages by you parking there, so it looks it might be a free for all in october :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The Highways Agency are only managing the roads of England for the Government, they are just that, an agency who do as they are told.

The Prime Minister has, with the agreement of the Secretary of State for Transport, approved the appointment of Graham Dalton as the next Chief Executive of the Highways Agency.

Graham is currently Director of Projects, National Networks, in the Department for Transport, responsible for the delivery of major rail investment projects including the Channel Tunnel Rail Link, the West Coast Route modernisation and Thameslink.

haribo4000:
MSA’s will still get there money, they would just start charging you to use the toilets, sinks and showers.

Operators of MSAs must comply with the requirements of Government policy. These provisions are reflected in the Traffic Signs Agreements into which they enter with the Highways Agency. All other operational matters, including pricing and staffing matters, are the responsibility of the operators. The Government specifies that all MSAs must offer:

Free short term parking for all types of vehicle
Free toilets and hand washing facilities (in sufficient quantity to cater reasonably for the traffic flow on the motorway) and baby changing facilities
Fuel
Access for up to two hours for those carrying out emergency repairs to broken down vehicles.
Access to all facilities for disabled people.
Facilities must be available for 24 hours a day every day of the year
Access to a cash operated telephone

Motorway Rest Areas must provide:

Free toilets and hand washing facilities and baby changing facilities
Access for up to two hours for those carrying out emergency repairs to broken down vehicles.

Wheel Nut:

haribo4000:

Operators of MSAs must comply with the requirements of Government policy. These provisions are reflected in the Traffic Signs Agreements into which they enter with the Highways Agency. All other operational matters, including pricing and staffing matters, are the responsibility of the operators. The Government specifies that all MSAs must offer:

Free toilets and hand washing facilities (in sufficient quantity to cater reasonably for the traffic flow on the motorway) and baby changing facilities
Fuel

So, no showers then?

waynedl:

Wheel Nut:

haribo4000:

Fuel

So, no showers then?

Or food :stuck_out_tongue:

claretmatt:

what about the coumcils that lift your car and take it to a pound whats the situation there?

excuse spelling i meant council s :unamused:

nedflanders:
excuse spelling i meant council s :unamused:

different situation. The council will probably still be able to lift your car as long as it was on public property (pavement or roadway)

What will happen to those who park outside gateways? Do lorries have to wait until the driver returns or drag the car out of the way? If it’s private land like an industrial estate there could be problems.
They’re quite welcome to try it where I work…no need for a clamp I can push a car very easily. :smiling_imp: