Christmas Working

For the first time since leaving school I get all the Christmas period off last shift 21 DEC first one back 02 JAN. In the past I have worked through the period including the big day itself - so no excuse this year I have to do the visiting relatives thing - GREAT.

do people “tramp” over Xmas period? and have a m&s xmas sandwich and xmas pudding on the gas stove for their lunch parked up in an msa?

Norfolknewbie:
For the first time since leaving school I get all the Christmas period off last shift 21 DEC first one back 02 JAN. In the past I have worked through the period including the big day itself - so no excuse this year I have to do the visiting relatives thing - GREAT.

You will also have a full weekly rest counted for the week 31 dec to 6 jan before you do the first shift back :smiley:

What you got off this year Rog? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

dri-diddly-iver:
What you got off this year Rog? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Same as the last 4 years

My wife is retired and I am simply her +1 for all official purposes

Cruise Control:
do people “tramp” over Xmas period? and have a m&s xmas sandwich and xmas pudding on the gas stove for their lunch parked up in an msa?

I would and have work xmas day but it has to be worth my while.

First time I’m working Christmas Day, start at 8pm so still get to have dinner. Double pay though which is good, only day in the year the company pay extra.

Saaamon:

Cruise Control:

I would and have work xmas day but it has to be worth my while.

Same as that, some of our guys are but deffo not me. Works out about £350 after stoppages for hard graft outside and possibly in the ■■■■■■■ rain all day, not driving!
Not worth ballsing up my xmas for in my oppinion, good luck to the guys who are doing it though.

charliebear:
First time I’m working Christmas Day, start at 8pm so still get to have dinner. Double pay though which is good, only day in the year the company pay extra.

Double time for Christmas day is terrible,that company’s lacking in xmas spirit!

lynchy:

charliebear:

Double time for Christmas day is terrible,that company’s lacking in xmas spirit!

Agree. Im not one for chasing the best hourly rate but xmas demands a set day rate personally, im sure theres plenty of people that will do 10hours at £20ph, but not me, sorry, any other day is fine though. Of course christmas means different things to different people, some people just see it as any other day but for others its a special one off day to spend with the family.

I think times are changed…in the late 80’s i did an afternoon trunk on boxing day…8 pallets i think at the time no back load from liverpool, it took me 6 hours in total…my boss at the time great geezer…paid me treble time and a day off …i was chuffed with that and i still went to the boozer that night…by the way not treble time for 6 hours i got 27 hours pay full shift rate…cant see that happening these days.

lynchy:

charliebear:

Well the same company don’t recognise any other bank holiday. Last christmas, they only paid double time from midnight xmas eve to midnight xmas day, so night staff only got half a shift at double time. At least they are paying double time all the way up to midnight boxing day. Still, 12 hours double pay for 4 hours work, rest of the time spent relaxing in one of the airport lounges.

Im off 20th december back in on 3rd january, we a seriously dead at the moment and im mean seriously. Every other Christmas trying to get a holiday is like pulling teeth.

merc0447:
Im off 20th december back in on 3rd january, we a seriously dead at the moment and im mean seriously. Every other Christmas trying to get a holiday is like pulling teeth.

What work do you do?

After I come out of the mosque I will go to my corner shop and open up. Whats Xmas ? :wink:

Already done some Christmas working this year. I collected 4x 25ft trees from Elvedon Forest and set them up in and around Brentwood town centre. :laughing:

In '98 I worked 6am - 6pm Christmas Day & Boxing Day as a labourer on Ipswich railway station where there was loads of maintenance being carried out. £20 /hr after tax was very handy at the time, not saying I’d not work it again but I think the price would need to be quite rich to tempt me.

8wheels:
Already done some Christmas working this year. I collected 4x 25ft trees from Elvedon Forest and set them up in and around Brentwood town centre. :laughing:

In '98 I worked 6am - 6pm Christmas Day & Boxing Day as a labourer on Ipswich railway station where there was loads of maintenance being carried out. £20 /hr after tax was very handy at the time, not saying I’d not work it again but I think the price would need to be quite rich to tempt me.

2001 on a rail job everyone from labourer’s up was on £80/hr,plus big farmhouse xmas dinner,jobs gone well downhill since,agency’s/foreigners/desperate people,usual reasons.
Problem is once conditions/wages start to slide they don’t go back up,oh yeah plus the ‘recession’,mind you that doesn’t seem to affect the co cars/flash offices/big day rates the boss’ are still on?

Just realised it was 1997 :laughing:

When I used to live near the hollies I used to drive past on way to my parents on Christmas Day and guaranteed there would be at least a couple of Irish and a few Eastern European trucks sat there.

Worked Christmas in the past in a former career but I really don’t think I could now unless it was really really big money.

Worked previously in a previous trade, microwave meal Xmas dinner inbetween work, also worked the Boxing day, NYE and NYD that year, it bought me a new motor, 2 holidays and a good shopping trip.

If I got offered the right money I would work it again,