Christmas in the truck

Merry Christmas to all the drivers sleeping in their truck Christmas Eve Christmas Day and Boxing Day have a good one …

Some of us wish we were! Jeez!

got asked if i would work if it was needed yep 1500 a day over xmas plus night out money.got funny looks well if u need someone u got to pay good money for xmas workers.

thunder367:
got asked if i would work if it was needed yep 1500 a day over xmas plus night out money.got funny looks well if u need someone u got to pay good money for xmas workers.

thunder367:

I may be due a whoosh parrot or maybe its a typo but…1500 a day (£)■■

Maybe not so far out, in the 90’s one year there was a backlog of rental cars still at smaller sites, which were desperately needed at Heathrow/Gatwick mainly on Christmas Day.

None of us interested in working, though when the £350 bonus appeared on top of double time pay that did the trick, about a dozen of us did the biz.
They agreed we could go home Christmas Eve evening if we wanted regardless of route, i did.

5 hours work Christmas morning finishing at 10am, total £500.

Out last night, came home about 11, and the other side of town is a Lithuanian truck parked in a layby. S*** way to spend the day.

What exactly is the problem ? If you want to work then work. Before the wife and kids came along I was happy and did work Christmas day on a few ocassions . Now I’d rather be at home . Next week though I couldn’t care less about New Years Eve so if I’m asked I’ll be quite happy to work it

albion:
Out last night, came home about 11, and the other side of town is a Lithuanian truck parked in a layby. S*** way to spend the day.

A lot of Lithuanians are actually ethnic Russians though, Stalin was in the habit of moving large numbers of Russians into satellite states in an attempt to prevent them ever breaking away from the USSR and if it is an ethnic Russian then it won’t be Christmas Day for him.

No big deal working Christmas Day, I have just knocked off from a 12 hour shift … no extra pay either … and back in tomorrow at 12pm.

discoman:
No big deal working Christmas Day, I have just knocked off from a 12 hour shift … no extra pay either … and back in tomorrow at 12pm.

Time for a new job with someone who appreciates you.

If it were me conversation would be:

TM: “Need you to do a run tonight.”

Me: “And where will you be tomorrow on Xmas day?”

TM: “At home, its Xmas day.”

Me: “So will I so you can ram your run up your arse.”

Conor:

discoman:

Some movements still need to take place on Christmas Day, milk collections from farms for example, and if the job is salaried and the pay scale generally reflects that, then it wouldn’t be unusual for Christmas Day not to pay an enhanced rate I guess.

Conor:

discoman:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and that troops,is exactly the attitude coupled with the reply you would give if you were destined to live your life as fulltime unemployable so that you may eke out your existance on agency work as a permenant limper.
if theres a shortage of employers that actually appreciate you,then theres definately no agency in existance that appreciates you in the slightest other than you came in for your last shift.
theres not an abundance of appreciated drivers compared to the kebab meat in the seat nowadays,and with the ever changing goalposts of road haulage in general,then theres always a load needs to be going somewhere in a last min hurry,so why wouldnt your comany ask to see if someone would try to be helpfull and cover it for them?.
easy enough not to do the shift with a simple,im sorry,i have family plans previously arranged as you well know.
you may think about teling them where to stuff it,though by doing so,you would definately be on the list of whos next to get paid off.
hence,its limpers r us.
if your single with no family and xmas would be alone,or sitting in the pub,then you should be happy enough to oblige and be working it,otherwise,for that specific day it would be your option unless previously arranged.
theres plenty of companies give you the choice of working over either xmas,or new year.
once again,captain attitude shows us how to interegate with your employer to show them how valuable an asset you are to them with another perfect example in the art of how to win friends and influence people. :slight_smile:

discoman:

Im not a fan of xmas. But LOL! Do you brush the back of his teeth why your up there?

I salute those who are keeping things going over Christmas. Livestock have to be attended to as well as hospitals that don’t close down either.

Conor:

discoman:

He’s a copper down under, really don’t think your ■■■■■■ attitude applies in this case

Conor:

discoman:

What’s so bad about working on Christmas Day if a driver chooses to? Not everybody is religious, not everybody has kids or even a family to spend it with, not everybody thinks it’s the most important day of the year and the world must come to a stand still.

thunder367:

I take it you didn’t want to work but didn’t want to say so and by quoting £1500 you made it look like you’d offered but they’d not took you up on it, mainly because the company knew there would be other drivers available who aren’t bothered about Christmas and would, if required, come into work for a more sensible bonus.

Conor:

discoman:

Alternatively you could act like someone who is older than 15 and say ‘no, sorry’ rather than make up some standard lorry driver aggressive garbage where you tell him this and tell him that. I cannot for the life of me understand why so many drivers feel the need to put across that they would tell the planner to stick the truck up his arse, go ■■■■ himself, and all the other Jackanory ■■■■■■■■ that gets posted on here.

Conor:

FAKE NEWS