Chobham 35mins free

Just read an article in our sponsors magazine.

Park for longer than 35mins at chobham services and it costs£1.00… no more free parking there for two hours.How long before this happens nationwide.

Is this the same for car drivers? If not isn’t this discrimination.

biggriffin:
Just read an article in our sponsors magazine.

Park for longer than 35mins at chobham services and it costs£1.00… no more free parking there for two hours.How long before this happens nationwide.

Is this the same for car drivers? If not isn’t this discrimination.

According to Extra Services’ own website, parking is free for up to 3hrs. Charges changed at Cambridge and Cobham in June but no 35min limit. It doesn’t mention this being different for trucks.

extraservices.co.uk/service/parking/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, which is correct, just read their website.

biggriffin:
So, which is correct, just read their website.

Just emailed Extra to see if this claim has any basis to it.

Is that legal?

Drempels:
Is that legal?

Would guess it is as it is their site, however being legal and being the right thing are two different matters, if it does happen then just ignore it, the cost of chasing £1 in unpaid parking fees from hundreds of hauliers going 10 minutes over the time would make them realise it is not the best idea.

Mazzer2:

Drempels:
Is that legal?

Would guess it is as it is their site, however being legal and being the right thing are two different matters, if it does happen then just ignore it, the cost of chasing £1 in unpaid parking fees from hundreds of hauliers going 10 minutes over the time would make them realise it is not the best idea.

Depends if haulier fights it. I expect a large number would pay and reclaim from the driver.

kcrussell25:

Mazzer2:

Drempels:
Is that legal?

Depends if haulier fights it. I expect a large number would pay and reclaim from the driver.

Didn’t spot the flaw in my plan there spineless bosses, and these will be the same spineless individuals who complain that they can’t get drivers yet treat the ones they do have like something they have trodden in

Mazzer2:

kcrussell25:

Mazzer2:

Drempels:
Is that legal?

Didn’t spot the flaw in my plan there spineless bosses, and these will be the same spineless individuals who complain that they can’t get drivers yet treat the ones they do have like something they have trodden in

Even the non spineless ones probably won’t want to spend the time and money fighting it either though…

kcrussell25:
Even the non spineless ones probably won’t want to spend the time and money fighting it either though…

Doesn’t cost anything to throw the notice in the bin

Mazzer2:

kcrussell25:

Agreed, but nowadays I think the advice is not to do that as they take the registered keeper for a ccj. That’s where the time and effort comes in.

Mazzer2:

kcrussell25:

Mazzer2:

Drempels:
Is that legal?

If a driver deliberately gets a fine over a pound he deserves to be treated like something he has trodden in

kcrussell25:

Mazzer2:

kcrussell25:

Agreed, but nowadays I think the advice is not to do that as they take the registered keeper for a ccj. That’s where the time and effort comes in.

And in an ideal world this is where the RHA steps in and earns it’s money and takes on the case however in reality the RHA is to busy spouting bull about a driver shortage than to do something to help drivers and hauliers

Mazzer2:

kcrussell25:

You’d think so…

But I’ve recently read of a few instances where people have done this with parking their cars at their home where charges applied, and ending up virtually bankrupt years later when the fines multiplied and caught up with them, then inflated by legal costs. I’m talking tens of thousands of pounds. The courts are relentless.

£1 over 35mins
or £1 per min over 35mins??

I just got an email back from Extra. Here’s what it says:

Thank you for your email. I can confirm, as per our website, the parking is still free for three hours and then we now offer staggered parking charges after that.

So, the magazine quoted by the OP was spreading rumours without any basis in fact.

The fine wouldn’t be £1 though, it would be £80 or whatever their statutory charge is, so they would chase it and parking eye etc have won cases recently so it is enforceable

If you can’t see signs from your cab it’s reasonable to think you haven’t seen the parking terms… I once dodged a fine this way… ignorance works if signage is limited or unlit.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Are you getting confused with the Esso Garage on the A2 at Cobham? I believe they charge £1.00 after 35 mins.

Mazzer2:

Drempels:
Is that legal?

But isn’t there some sort of rule saying there has to be x amount of places to rest on motorways and they have to be free of charge to take a statutory break?