"Chipping" Trucks

Anyone had this done to theirs? Good or bad experiences, MMTM rumours etc etc. I’ve just been given our 8wheeler which was recently upped from 360 to roughly 420 bhp. A much nicer drive, better on fuel etc. When I got away from someone with a 420 earlier they said over the cb “you’ll regret it when the summer comes and the temperature gauge shoots up.” Is this true or just a jealous Scania driver? :laughing:
For those who are :unamused: I still drive nice and steady, paid by the hour and no bonuses etc.

not my kind of thing but then hay ho :grimacing:

pink chip truck.png

I hope your gaffer sprung for the new bhp badge.

Otherwise you’ll have to add your own, using nothing but a Sharpie Pen :laughing:

F-reds:
I hope your gaffer sprung for the new bhp badge.

Otherwise you’ll have to add your own, using nothing but a Sharpie Pen :laughing:

I wouldn’t mind a Leyland badge though.

Its fairly easy to remap a truck, its quite hard to do it right though, but if it has been done right you wont have a problem

chaversdad:
Its fairly easy to remap a truck, its quite hard to do it right though, but if it has been done right you wont have a problem

Its not over easy if the manufacturer has locked the mappers out of the ecu, I bought a scania 480 that was re mapped up to about 580 and then the bloody ecu went and lost the remap, now got a gutless wonder that uses more diesel, another 480 scania I have I got the remapper to look at it and scania had locked him out by changing access codes, he came back 6 months later and did something to it via a lap top and yes it has lowdown torque now but is nothing like the remap that was on the other, job to know now what to do with the new ecu truck, could put a steinbauer box on it but it only opens the injection process longer and will not give better fuel like a remap, but a main dealer updating the engine settings will wipe any remap placed on the ecu.

Last truck I was on was chipped up from 420 to 500, never had any problems with temp in the 8 years i drove it . One thing i was advised when it was done was to make sure the air filter was cleaned or replaced on a regular basis. We done this and it never missed a beat in the 750,000 kms i put on it.

We have a m11 380 remapped to 500 and it really does never give in pulling ,it’s been done 10 years ,however my cousin had some 5 yr old FH version 1 done and they all went pop ,but there is chipping and remapping ,Id sooner remap than chip .

I drive an fh13 540 turned up to 620, best thing since sliced bread really, goes like stink and only sniffs fuel. the oil temperature readout is way off though - on a hard incline with a 30t load I’ve seen as high as 121c

It’s all right chipping the engine but what happens if the rest of the drivetrain isn’t up to the extra torque? You can’t plug a laptop into the gearbox or axle and tell it that it now has another couple of hundred Nm to deal with.

milodon:
I drive an fh13 540 turned up to 620, best thing since sliced bread really, goes like stink and only sniffs fuel. the oil temperature readout is way off though - on a hard incline with a 30t load I’ve seen as high as 121c

My oil temp runs at 117c consistently, even in the -30s and mine isn’t chipped.

My coolant temp is a steady 175c too, I have a winter front, but have only used it once and had to take it off asap as the fan kept coming in and this was a stupidly cold day. Mind you I was running into a big headwind and grossing 63tons.

It could be that the higher combustion temperature from EGR is responsible as my previous truck’s oil temp ran in the 130s and coolant was 180c unless it was really cold.

Before I jumped over the pond I had a chipped 500 FH12, the turbocompound one and it was boosted to 620hp and it felt like it, fuel consumption was a little better than stock, but I wasn’t trying too hard on that front. It was quick though, to the point that it could beat an empty 420 FH12 away from the lights at 44ton :sunglasses:

Muckaway:
Anyone had this done to theirs? Good or bad experiences, MMTM rumours etc etc. I’ve just been given our 8wheeler which was recently upped from 360 to roughly 420 bhp. A much nicer drive, better on fuel etc. When I got away from someone with a 420 earlier they said over the cb “you’ll regret it when the summer comes and the temperature gauge shoots up.” Is this true or just a jealous Scania driver? :laughing:
For those who are :unamused: I still drive nice and steady, paid by the hour and no bonuses etc.

Someone at a company the agency I work for sends us into had his 460BHP 14 plate Iveco tractor unit chipped. 70,000km on the clock and the engine oil goes from full to empty in a fortnight over a distance of about 5,000km.

I wouldn’t say it feels anything special to drive.

chipping= cheap and nasty one size fits all plug in.

remapping= custom map suited to the parameters of the engine. better results and reliability but also bigger cost.

Conor:

Muckaway:
Anyone had this done to theirs? Good or bad experiences, MMTM rumours etc etc. I’ve just been given our 8wheeler which was recently upped from 360 to roughly 420 bhp. A much nicer drive, better on fuel etc. When I got away from someone with a 420 earlier they said over the cb “you’ll regret it when the summer comes and the temperature gauge shoots up.” Is this true or just a jealous Scania driver? [emoji38]

Someone at a company the agency I work for sends us into had his 460BHP 14 plate Iveco tractor unit chipped. 70,000km on the clock and the engine oil goes from full to empty in a fortnight over a distance of about 5,000km.

I wouldn’t say it feels anything special to drive.

That was probably chipped as it had no poke, the reason it has no poke is directly related to the oil consumption. The rings never seated so compression is escaping past the rings into the crankcase and the oil is going in the opposite direction.

The sensible thing to have done was monitor oil consumption and take the records and the lorry back to IVECO so they could put a set of pistons and liners in it.

Surprisingly unseated rings are more common than you would think, which is why I always drive a new lorry like I’ve stolen it, the engine needs plenty of heat in it to get those rings seated properly.

Muckaway:

The temperature gauge shooting up is true if you maul it in to a hill ,if it’s been chipped beyond a reasonable horsepower that is ,however it will be better at 32 tonne than 44 ,you find with some you need to change down far too early on a hill to keep the engine revs high to prevent overheating .

just got a scania 4oo re mapped to about 480 and so far all is good. The other 480’s can’t keep up with it. Seems to be ok on fuel compared to the rest of the fleet. The only bad thing is it smokes a bit when pulling at low revs. but the look on peoples faces when a p cab badged up at 400 passes them up hill is great.

Found out today that my truck was remapped, cost quite a bit. Boss did it originally with the intention of getting better residuals (360 in an 8wheeler is under powered for many) with Daf asking silly money for a new CF, and not being offered a great deal for it ( saw a 10 plate Hino for sale for the same money ffs) it’s probably better to keep it. It drives like new for an 09 and I’ve never driven a better 8 speed 'box.
Would switching out the adblue make much difference, apart from no adblue obviously?

newmercman:
Surprisingly unseated rings are more common than you would think, which is why I always drive a new lorry like I’ve stolen it, the engine needs plenty of heat in it to get those rings seated properly.

It was driven like its being stolen. Its got 70k on and is absolutely knackered because its spent most of the 70k driven like that by the regular driver. Its got enough power in it, its comparable to the 460BHP DAFs at Howdens on the same run, maybe a little better. Its just not really anything earth shaking. Maybe I’m expecting too much, I don’t know.

Thanks for the heads up about the rings though although I doubt the company concerned will do anything about it. The guy who owns the agency I work for was in there last night, did his checks to find the yellow airline almost severed through completely at the cab end. Apparently one of their drivers had done it on Thursday daytime, the regular night driver took it out like that on the night time and they weren’t going to bother to sort it until next Thursday when it went in for a service. He refused to take it out, gave them a right bollocking and took the unit we have assigned to us as he demanded that that company allocated us our own unit to use quite a while ago. Its a sad state of affairs that out of maybe 20 wagons, with exception of one tractor unit, the agency unit is the best maintained and cleanest in the fleet.

at my previous firm i had a brand new volvo fm 340 that was uprated to a claimed 400 bhp,massive difference-much nicer to drive and a little better on fuel.didnt get hot either.this was a 54 plate though so euro 3?
where i work now i have an 11 plate daf cf 410 and that was remapped about nine months ago-no difference at all.my boss had his range rover done by the same bloke and reckons its much better.not the slightest difference to the daf.told my boss that he’s been ripped off,next thing i get a phone call from the “remapper” telling me i’m not driving it right!!
the difference in the volvo was like night and day.i’d recommend getting it done as long as its someone that knows their stuff.

We got to r500 mapped to around 660hp. The rest of the trucks we have just a tuning box. The r620 I drive is supposed to deliver somewhere around 750hp, it’s amazing to go up some hills with 30t load at 80km/h :slight_smile: . The oldest tuned truck still in the garage is close to a million km now with about 700 000km of it tuned. Even with a tuning box the consumption is much lower than original even though it just changes the mapping times, mostly I guess due to much higher average speed.
About the temps, yes it rises in the hills but so does an original engine also, as long as it stays away from the red zone your safe. It’s only the Volvo cluster that the needle stays slap down in the middle due to programing.

Even though I would love to driven one of the old 3 series with marine injectors. Speech goes that under full power you could see a flame coming out of the exhaust. Sadly none lasted past 600 000km mark, every engine ended with broken crankshaft.
The only engine that never worked with tuning was a 13l 480 but that engine is a complete mess even original, the 12l is fine, but the 13 is just crap.