Cheshire police load security purge

Cheshire police were showing off their pulls at a check site yesterday, a few interesting ones…

One was deemed insecure because the internals were deemed inadequate. Driver made to ratchet strap the lot. So seems ‘making the effort’ with internals won’t necessarily keep you safe.

B&M also got embarrassed here when head office publicly insisted a photo was removed because they “don’t need straps”. twitter.com/cmpg/status/1003958 … 03840?s=21

Got to love the curtainsider load security farce.

Confess i seldom use a curtain sider, but that load in the pic looks more than adequately secure to me, chances are back in the good old days of roping and sheeting, we’d only have roped every other hook with a load like that, and that was without the pallets being cling or shrinkwrapped, funny how the loads never shifted.

Out of interest, how are double decker drivers supposed to strap the top deck in these days of H&S? and how to you get straps across where the load almost fills to the roof of even a single decker.

And there’s the problem…

‘Back in the day’ drivers loaded their own trucks, and roped and sheeted them. It was entirely fair that they were responsible for the quality of that loading and sheeting.

Today, with ‘elf & safety’ the driver isn’t allowed near the vehicle when it is being loaded at many places…and sometimes isn’t even allowed to secure the load on premises (H&S again) or inspect it (sealed for ‘security’).

Time for consignor liability, like Germany, where the ‘loader’ has to sign-off the load as secure, and provide instructions as to how to unstrap it etc?

rob22888:
Cheshire police were showing off their pulls at a check site yesterday, a few interesting ones…

One was deemed insecure because the internals were deemed inadequate. Driver made to ratchet strap the lot. So seems ‘making the effort’ with internals won’t necessarily keep you safe.

Internals can only be used when the pallet is no more than a few hundred kilogrammes, I believe its 400kg or 500kg. Our load sheets that are in the paperwork with the load now have the weight of each pallet put on them as we use internals only in the main. Whilst that load in the pick may “look” secure, depending on the weight of the pallets the internal straps may not be enough to hold it. Judging by the fact the lift axle on the unit is down they most likely aren’t. Also doesn’t look like a XL trailer either.

Conor:

rob22888:

Internals can only be used when the pallet is no more than a few hundred kilogrammes, I believe its 400kg or 500kg. Our load sheets that are in the paperwork with the load now have the weight of each pallet put on them as we use internals only in the main. Whilst that load in the pick may “look” secure, depending on the weight of the pallets the internal straps may not be enough to hold it. Judging by the fact the lift axle on the unit is down they most likely aren’t. Also doesn’t look like a XL trailer either.

The pallets in the picture look like bagged compost coming in at about a ton a pallet and no internals won’t hold them

Internals becoming obsolete then…so ratchet strap every load…if a load gets damaged…thats their problem for not packaging it correctly…shrink wrap and a wooden case would be ideal…its about time the responsibility was shared with the company who owns the goods…and the guys in the packaging dept…i always think Its my licence, my cash so strap it accordingly…one set of 5 x £20 notes was enough for me.

According to the comments it’s a load bearing curtain. Fill the top deck with stacks of empty pallets and it’s fine.

Looks like bagged compost.
Once the curtains are shut,it’ll be squashed in tighter than a nuns chuff.
I’ve wragged hundreds of loads like that…all over Wales,with ■■■■ all on it.
It don’t move.

commonrail:
I’ve wragged hundreds of loads like that…all over Wales,with [zb] all on it.
It don’t move.

Can you pop into Holyhead or Birkenhead docks next time you’re about there and show the shunters how to do it then, as they seem experts in moving loads of compost.

Juddian:
Confess i seldom use a curtain sider, but that load in the pic looks more than adequately secure to me, chances are back in the good old days of roping and sheeting, we’d only have roped every other hook

It depends on the weight Juddian.If they are reasonably heavy I’d prefer to rope those to within an inch of their life than use those silly mickey mouse roof anchors at least.Contrary to all the strapping spin there is still as good a case as ever for having rope hooks on curtain siders as in the case of tilts and the VSA still actually allows the use of ropes to be used to secure a load so long as the driver knows how to use them.

No…but I can show them how to pull it round Wales.

And another thing

If you put a ratchet over each row…do they think it’ll still be on the lorry,if you tip it over?

Nite Owl:
According to the comments it’s a load bearing curtain. Fill the top deck with stacks of empty pallets and it’s fine.

Although I hate pigs with a passion, they are right in their reply yo B&M : twitter.com/Cheshire_CVU/status … 5736141825

Hi @bmstores look at upper deck. Nothing to prevent load shifting backwards and load already shifted on a pallet. XL only works if load bed filled front to back, side to side. Gaps larger than 30cm front to back, 80mm at sides must be packed. Staff from @H_S_E at site agreed.

The picture displayed shows that the pallets are badly wrapped and also not a flush fit in at least one place just on that side section of the trailer. It’s pretty typical of that type of work, same for the overnight pallet hubs. I personally don’t agree with it and have no qualms admitting that I’m very much a close-curtains-and-go driver, never bothering with straps on any load unless the pallets or product looks unwieldy and/or the terrain of the route I’m taking would make it prudent to use them to ensure it doesn’t move.

To be honest I don’t think anything has really changed from the olden days. If you were to adjust the figures proportionately to compare the number of trucks : haulage “demand” ratio back then vs the same today, has there actually been an increase in loads falling off trucks or is the cynic in me correct in thinking that this is simply a nice little easy earner for the government dressed up as “road safety” ?

commonrail:
It don’t move.

Its not about it moving when you’re driving, its about it spilling all over the road if the wagon goes over.

Gone the other way on the car transporters.
At one time, tied down underbody in the event of a rollover the cars would stay put.

Warning, suit and pointy shoe alert :unamused:

Can’t do that any more lads, use chocks and wheelstraps from now on it’s a quality system, so in a rollover the cars go scattering all up the carriageway.
Well done.

I think this tweet from them is out of order. twitter.com/Cheshire_CVU/status … 3770248192

Looks like a Euroliner type trailer to me and has a full compliment of side boards. Load looks fine to me, what’s the issue?

Someone with a twitter account needs to tweet them “Presumably all the burglars and rapists in West Midlands have been caught then for you to be bothering with this kind of petty low-level ‘crime’?” or something along those lines. :unamused:

Conor:

commonrail:
It don’t move.

Its not about it moving when you’re driving, its about it spilling all over the road if the wagon goes over.

So how does that “rule” work with the brick and block loads then that DVSA are absolutely fine with them just having a net draped over the top? Are you seriously trying to tell me that the net will hold all the bricks and blocks on the bed if the rolls over? Of course it won’t - they’ll be scattered up and down the roads for 200 yards in each direction - something that is unlikely to happen with a curtain sider, irrespective of whether the load inside has been ratchet or roof strapped to within an inch of its life. And don’t tell me the brick and block loads are flush fit because many of them are mixed loads with different heights and gaps.

Desperate really isn’t it?
We’re talking about securing a load to minimise inconvenience during the sweeping up operations, rather than drive to the road and load conditions and avoid an accident in the first place…

I’m not having a pop at any posters here, just thinking out loud about where we are.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Desperate really isn’t it?
We’re talking about securing a load to minimise inconvenience during the sweeping up operations, rather than drive to the road and load conditions and avoid an accident in the first place…

I’m not having a pop at any posters here, just thinking out loud about where we are.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

To highlight just how desperate its become, yes we really have had a (agency) clown drive to another depot with a full load only to discover the tank was empty on arrival, there are no words :unamused:
I suppose the powers that be assume we’re all as stupid, hence this ■■■■■■■■.

Firstly I’d ratchet the load in the OP just because that’s what is required and I get paid for it…

But secondly I don’t see how a ratchet over the top would prevent something moving compared to internals when fitted like they are in the OP