Checking wheel nuts isn't my job

Have a look at these wheel nut indicators, they are the answer in my opinion…

"The person made responsible by the operator must carry out a minimum of one check in 24 hours

so doesn’t have to be the driver if the boss nominates someone else.

Maybe so but the driver is responsible for the vehicle on the road, so I’ll carry on doing my checks and carrying bulbs etc in my kit, if something goes and I can fix it then it gets fixed, end of. Company policy and H&S can go ■■■■ themselves,

chicane:
Maybe so but the driver is responsible for the vehicle on the road, so I’ll carry on doing my checks and carrying bulbs etc in my kit, if something goes and I can fix it then it gets fixed, end of. Company policy and H&S can go [zb] themselves,

Try these…:

philipa:

chicane:
Maybe so but the driver is responsible for the vehicle on the road, so I’ll carry on doing my checks and carrying bulbs etc in my kit, if something goes and I can fix it then it gets fixed, end of. Company policy and H&S can go [zb] themselves,

Try these…:

Getting a bit spammy now Phil, also, to advertise that much, might want to contribute to the running of the boards…

Then you can get a proper ad at the top :smiley:

philipa:
Our trucks have all been fitted with safetytrims on the wheels. These nifty trims indicate and lock a loose wheel nut. When I do my walk-round the only thing I have to look out for is whether or not a yellow indicator tab has appeared in the window on the trim. The good thing is that if a wheel nut works its way loose during driving, the Safetytrims will catch it, indicate and lock it in place so it cannot back off completely. They work really well…
Apparently the company that supply them have now decided to buy all the yellow Checkpoint indicators from operators that want to change to their Safetytrims.
Philip
Luckings Transport

Ooh look the advertising troll has turned up here as well, thats at least 5 wheel nut posts now come on mods ditch the troll :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Gunner Til I Die:
Ooh look the advertising troll has turned up here as well, thats at least 5 wheel nut posts now come on mods ditch the troll :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Your post has been filed under this category.

sdhb.jpg
I hope this helps.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

tiger65:
Guide to maintaining roadworthiness Commercial goods and passenger carrying vehicles states:

Section 3: Daily walkaround checks and first-use inspections
"The person made responsible by the operator must carry out a minimum of one check in 24 hours. The check should consist of a walkaround look over the whole vehicle or combination. On multitrailer operations a defect check should be made on each trailer being used.
The check should cover the external condition, ensuring in particular that the lights, tyres, wheel fixings, bodywork, trailer coupling, load and ancillary equipment are serviceable".

"Drivers share the responsibility for the vehicle’s roadworthiness with the operator. Drivers may be prosecuted for the existence of defects found on the vehicles they drive if they are considered partly or wholly responsible for the existence of them. Failure to take these responsibilities seriously could result in the loss of the driver’s licence to drive".

I think the driver concerned needs to have a word with his boss and gateher the facts as to his responsibilities. The fine level this type of failure can attract is £60 per failure, so if the driver fails to carry out a check and has 2 dead bulbs and a loose wheel nut theres £180 for starters, follwoed by the inevitable operating centre visit. :blush: :blush:

Or perhaps it was the usual truck stop BS!!! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Imagine how much you’d get fined for having a small bald patch on all 22 wheels of a bigrig?!
Come to that, what about those guys with blackpool illuminations around the cab? Do you get fined for those blowing as well?

Maybe you even get fined for a “FAULTY CYLON EYE WAVING THING” that really gets on my t!t$ when someone steams past me on the M1 prob with the limiter fuse pulled out to boot! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Wheel Nut:
We used to jump on a five foot cracker bar until they cracked, but H&S stopped all that too after you rattled your shins a few times

I was brought up on them there bars. As a innocent sixteen year old learning to take lorries apart and put them back together, it was considered useful training for me to hang my whole eight and half stone off one of these to tighten or loosen wheel nuts. If I learnt nothing else, I sure knew how to use a cracker. Just hoped I’d do the right nuts. :open_mouth:

i was talking to a driver on the esberg-immingham ferry. he asked me what was wrong with the truck as he’d noticed me underneath it before we borded. i explained that i’d noticed an oil leak which i’ll have to sort out when i get back.
he told me that they don’t carry any tools whatsoever, not even a wheel brace, or even spare bulbs.
so i asked how does he do his daily checks?
“it’s not my job to check wheel nuts, or change bulbs” came the reply.

what do you think? is he right, or wrong?

I always check my nuts every morning, then I do the truck.

10, yes, rear axle, 10 yes, trailer 30

Other side, 50, that will do. :laughing:

Checking wheel nuts can be done visually, if there are any rust marks, the nuts are loose.

But I have always carried tools, wheel brace, bulbs, fuses, and coupling rubbers.

Coupling Rubbers?

Is that what they call condoms these days? :unamused: :unamused: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Daily checks are part of a drivers job we have spare bulbs and basic tools I carry a couple of conectors and odds and ends incase I damage a air pipe on the landfill and can usually get out of trouble and back to the yard.
I know a lot of firms don’t allow drivers to repair anything but you have to check to make sure it’s safe and if the firm want it done that way make a call to the office

Right or wrong…

In the eyes of VOSA he’d be wrong if he was pulled and found to have a relevant defect.

If his company is mad enough to have a policy of banning drivers from working on the vehicles in any way then he’d be right in the eyes of the company. I remember once being threatened with the sack if I were to touch the fuses, after asking the workshop boss where they were on the vehicle due to my hazard lights being inop.

What company did he work for?

limeyphil:
i was talking to a driver on the esberg-immingham ferry. he asked me what was wrong with the truck as he’d noticed me underneath it before we borded. i explained that i’d noticed an oil leak which i’ll have to sort out when i get back.
he told me that they don’t carry any tools whatsoever, not even a wheel brace, or even spare bulbs.
so i asked how does he do his daily checks?
“it’s not my job to check wheel nuts, or change bulbs” came the reply.

what do you think? is he right, or wrong?

I think he is wrong, I got tools, bulbs, lines, spare fuel caps ,fuses , connectors, cable ties and gaffer tape.

Drivers in our yard will defect a lorry because of a bulb to stop anyone else using it because they are knobs.

But is it not a legal requirement in some EU countries to carry spare bulbs etc?

I know over here in Bulgaria we need to carry first aid kit, spare bulbs, hi viz, fire extinguisher and warning triangle in fact they are part of the MOT they dont bother checking the car Lol but they do check the above and thats at the government KAT place not an ordinary MOT garage.

drew30:
Coupling Rubbers?

Is that what they call condoms these days? :unamused: :unamused: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Gimp masks and rubber crotchless pants. :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually meant palm coupling rubbers though

In my last ADR training module(2003) this came up and the reply was as long as you have performed a VISUAL check you were OK as the driver is not a qualified tyre fitter.
I disagreed as the driver has absolute responsibility for the condition of his vehicle.A case of the old and new thinking colliding■■?

manowar:
Right or wrong…

In the eyes of VOSA he’d be wrong if he was pulled and found to have a relevant defect.

If his company is mad enough to have a policy of banning drivers from working on the vehicles in any way then he’d be right in the eyes of the company. I remember once being threatened with the sack if I were to touch the fuses, after asking the workshop boss where they were on the vehicle due to my hazard lights being inop.

What company did he work for?

he works for pilkington glass, but he’s paid by nobby dingldangle.

welshphil:
In my last ADR training module(2003) this came up and the reply was as long as you have performed a VISUAL check you were OK as the driver is not a qualified tyre fitter.
I disagreed as the driver has absolute responsibility for the condition of his vehicle.A case of the old and new thinking colliding■■?

The only correct way to check wheel nuts is with a calibrated torque wrench. I doubt anyone carries one in the cab, most of the luminous tell tale indicators are a visual check, which in some cases prevent an original equipment box spanner being used.

Most companies who have a tyre contract will have an agreement where drivers can have pressures checked & wheels torqued up if they call in, we did have that at Ontime Automotive, although that was because the trailers had lost so many wheels over the years :open_mouth: