Checking wheel nuts isn't my job

Also sounds like a trolley dolley, supermarket drivers get these things done for them.

Im always changing bulbs and using ties for various stuff and was glad had spare suzi the other day when doing a burly air line got caught on trailler curtain ratchet ripping it off. Took me about 2hrs of my rest time to fix. :frowning: One thing i dont like doing though is putting air into a tyre.

limeyphil:
'…checking wheel nuts isn’t my job … what do you think?

Is he right or wrong…?’

Aah, ''cat amongst the pigeons" at it’s best; nice one!

pavaroti:
‘…sounds like a trolley dolley, supermarket drivers get these things done for them … I’m always changing … various stuff … [in] … my rest time …’

Soft vs Hard?
The Very Regularly Employed vs The Truly Free Spirited?
Those Accountable to a Myriad of Hierarchy & H&S vs Real Men?
Clean vs Minging?
Fortunate vs Dopey?
Less well-paid vs Cowboy?
Dolly’s vs Sacked or ex-Dollys?

Guide to maintaining roadworthiness Commercial goods and passenger carrying vehicles states:

Section 3: Daily walkaround checks and first-use inspections
"The person made responsible by the operator must carry out a minimum of one check in 24 hours. The check should consist of a walkaround look over the whole vehicle or combination. On multitrailer operations a defect check should be made on each trailer being used.
The check should cover the external condition, ensuring in particular that the lights, tyres, wheel fixings, bodywork, trailer coupling, load and ancillary equipment are serviceable".

"Drivers share the responsibility for the vehicle’s roadworthiness with the operator. Drivers may be prosecuted for the existence of defects found on the vehicles they drive if they are considered partly or wholly responsible for the existence of them. Failure to take these responsibilities seriously could result in the loss of the driver’s licence to drive".

I think the driver concerned needs to have a word with his boss and gateher the facts as to his responsibilities. The fine level this type of failure can attract is £60 per failure, so if the driver fails to carry out a check and has 2 dead bulbs and a loose wheel nut theres £180 for starters, follwoed by the inevitable operating centre visit. :blush: :blush:

Or perhaps it was the usual truck stop BS!!! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

tiger65:
Guide to maintaining roadworthiness Commercial goods and passenger carrying vehicles states:

Section 3: Daily walkaround checks and first-use inspections
"The person made responsible by the operator must carry out a minimum of one check in 24 hours. The check should consist of a walkaround look over the whole vehicle or combination. On multitrailer operations a defect check should be made on each trailer being used.
The check should cover the external condition, ensuring in particular that the lights, tyres, wheel fixings, bodywork, trailer coupling, load and ancillary equipment are serviceable".

"Drivers share the responsibility for the vehicle’s roadworthiness with the operator. Drivers may be prosecuted for the existence of defects found on the vehicles they drive if they are considered partly or wholly responsible for the existence of them. Failure to take these responsibilities seriously could result in the loss of the driver’s licence to drive".

I think the driver concerned needs to have a word with his boss and gather the facts as to his responsibilities. The fine level this type of failure can attract is £60 per failure, so if the driver fails to carry out a check and has 2 dead bulbs and a loose wheel nut there’s £180 for starters, followed by the inevitable operating centre visit. :blush: :blush:

Or perhaps it was the usual truck stop BS!!! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I think the operative word is check

It hasn’t mentioned a wheel brace or a torque wrench though.

pavaroti:
Also sounds like a trolley dolley, supermarket drivers get these things done for them.

Im always changing bulbs and using ties for various stuff and was glad had spare suzi the other day when doing a burly air line got caught on trailler curtain ratchet ripping it off. Took me about 2hrs of my rest time to fix. :frowning: One thing i dont like doing though is putting air into a tyre.

yes they do,but thats not there fault its the system put in place by managment,i used to always wash my own truck[put it through wash/jet wash it],were now not allowed too,theyve employed a bloke to do it,were allowed a drum full of water and a brush just for mirrors/windows,weve not chosen not to wash the trucks/were not incapable of doing it,its just how the management want it doing.
its like the new casual driver was telling me,they wereked on there induction if any of them were qualified sparkies,he said he was,had certificates and was told he was o.k to change bulbs,others were told they wernt,they were to get someone qualified to do it,i change bulbs,suzis whatever needs doing,but how id stand if a company h+s bloke saw me,id guess id get my ■■■ kicked.
its crazy, but i dont blame the supermarket driver who says if thats the system they want get on with it,why put your ■■■ on the line :exclamation: :exclamation:

All of this H&S and all these “systems” is going to bring this country to its ■■■■■■■ knees one day. No wonder people cant think for themselfs. People get sucked into this bubble of red tape, then what happens when it all goes ■■■■ up and there is no bubble, people ■■■■ theres pants and dont know what to do.

Saaamon:
All of this H&S and all these “systems” is going to bring this country to its [zb] knees one day. No wonder people cant think for themselfs. People get sucked into this bubble of red tape, then what happens when it all goes ■■■■ up and there is no bubble, people [zb] theres pants and dont know what to do.

That or people in general are using the system as a excuse not to get their hands dirty :wink:

I think its a bit of both tbh

ajt:

Saaamon:
All of this H&S and all these “systems” is going to bring this country to its [zb] knees one day. No wonder people cant think for themselfs. People get sucked into this bubble of red tape, then what happens when it all goes ■■■■ up and there is no bubble, people [zb] theres pants and dont know what to do.

That or people in general are using the system as a excuse not to get their hands dirty :wink:

I think its a bit of both tbh

Agreed.

Probably says more about the calibre of driver his firm are prepared to employ, peanuts and monkeys :stuck_out_tongue:

NOT MY JOB seems to be a disease that is spreading through this industry. It could be your kids that get hit by the loose wheel that you havn’t noticed. I may be wrong but I seem to recall it is now mandatory that you carry spare bulbs and it can incur a fine if you don’t have them. (Someone will correct me if I’m wrong), anyway is it sensible to collect a PG9 for the sake of a 25p bulb or worse a manslaughter charge when a wheel comes off. regards kevmac47

Happy Keith:

limeyphil:
'…checking wheel nuts isn’t my job … what do you think?

Is he right or wrong…?’

Aah, ''cat amongst the pigeons" at it’s best; nice one!

pavaroti:
‘…sounds like a trolley dolley, supermarket drivers get these things done for them … I’m always changing … various stuff … [in] … my rest time …’

Soft vs Hard?
The Very Regularly Employed vs The Truly Free Spirited?
Those Accountable to a Myriad of Hierarchy & H&S vs Real Men?
Clean vs Minging?
Fortunate vs Dopey?
Less well-paid vs Cowboy?
Dolly’s vs Sacked or ex-Dollys?

That has to be one of the coolest posts I’ve ever read.

Suffolk ReeferBoy:

limeyphil:
i was talking to a driver on the esberg-immingham ferry. he asked me what was wrong with the truck as he’d noticed me underneath it before we borded. i explained that i’d noticed an oil leak which i’ll have to sort out when i get back.
he told me that they don’t carry any tools whatsoever, not even a wheel brace, or even spare bulbs.
so i asked how does he do his daily checks?
“it’s not my job to check wheel nuts, or change bulbs” came the reply.

what do you think? is he right, or wrong?

I think he is wrong, I got tools, bulbs, lines, spare fuel caps ,fuses , connectors, cable ties and gaffer tape.

Drivers in our yard will defect a lorry because of a bulb to stop anyone else using it because they are knobs.

But does the bulb get changed or does the BIGGER KNOB/HERO take it out with a known defect :slight_smile:.

limeyphil:
“it’s not my job to check wheel nuts, or change bulbs” came the reply.

what do you think? is he right, or wrong?

He’s wrong and right Phil !! It is his job to check wheel nuts, its not neccasarily his job to change bulbs !!

Saaamon:
‘…All of this H&S and all these “systems” is going to bring this country to its [zb] knees one day…’

‘…[T]hese “systems”…’ originate from directives that are often inappropriate for our once World beating way of doing things in the UK, but they are now sanctioned, passed and inflicted by courtesy of the not very cheap, European Union.

UK politicians rarely get to debate such domestic niff-naff - which is bizarre since they are the nuts & bolts that affect us all each day - because it is outside of their remit - and here we are divided over it…!

The UK mainstream political parties, despite being coy on your doorstep, fully endorse the EU and the methodology that, as stated, is seemingly ‘…bring[ing] this country to its [zb] knees…’

You gotta laugh at how we are chizzed-off with what we’ve done to ourselves, eh :wink:

Happy Keith:

Saaamon:
‘…All of this H&S and all these “systems” is going to bring this country to its [zb] knees one day…’

‘…[T]hese “systems”…’ originate from directives that are often inappropriate for our once World beating way of doing things in the UK, but they are now sanctioned, passed and inflicted by courtesy of the not very cheap, European Union.

UK politicians rarely get to debate such domestic niff-naff - which is bizarre since they are the nuts & bolts that affect us all each day - because it is outside of their remit - and here we are divided over it…!

The UK mainstream political parties, despite being coy on your doorstep, fully endorse the EU and the methodology that, as stated, is seemingly ‘…bring[ing] this country to its [zb] knees…’

You gotta laugh at how we are chizzed-off with what we’ve done to ourselves, eh :wink:

Your wrong. We’ve inflicted these systems and H&S malarkey on ourselves, thanks to our ‘where there’s blame theres a claim’ culture imported from the US. I’m currently in a very busy yard unloading in Vienna and I can’t see one high viz and most of the drivers are in flip flops. This is the case in most of mainland Europe.

So sorry that’s not one you can blame on the EU.

switchlogic:

Happy Keith:

Saaamon:

Your wrong. We’ve inflicted these systems and H&S malarkey on ourselves, thanks to our ‘where there’s blame theres a claim’ culture imported from the US. I’m currently in a very busy yard unloading in Vienna and I can’t see one high viz and most of the drivers are in flip flops. This is the case in most of mainland Europe.

So sorry that’s not one you can blame on the EU.

100% agreed. a much more chilled system in other EU countries.

Ha dont have no Hi Vis or hard hat nor steel cap boots but [ if i never checked my nuts no other [zb] would] King of the Road

We used to jump on a five foot cracker bar until they cracked, but H&S stopped all that too after you rattled your shins a few times

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: yes the only way

Company policies can be to blame too.
Individual sites have different ideas even if they are in the same group.
Obviously vehicle checks are carried out as the norm and a visual check of nuts is the only thing we can do, there is no equipment in the truck or in the yard to check properly. There is plastic indicators on “some” units. Stupid how it’s on the vehicle check sheet but no bars in the yard to do it properly.

I,ve worked at 2 sites now for the same logistics company, one site you carried spare suzies with tools to fit them and spare bulbs, you had to check you had all this equipment in the lockers.
The site I,m at now won’t even let you have bulbs to change them, if one pops whilst out on the road then you have nothing to swap it with. Before the inhouse garage closed a few inc myself did ask for bulbs so if they went you could swap out on the road. Now thats closed and the dealers is used then no more bulbs.
I,ve asked before if there is any chance of spare bulb kits but apparently due to h+s and insurance purposes we can’t have any. This dealers is also closed at nights now , so any bulbs on night shift either stay out or as yet to happen- incur a call out charge.
It’s a stupid situation tbh.This idea has been carried over from the company that was bought out so it’s a site rule.