Cheaper motor insurance

Hi all…do any of you guys or girls get a discount on your motor insurance because you hold an hgv license ?..if you do could you let me know the company please.Just had my renewal through and its gone up by £180 :smiling_imp: .I remember a couple of months back waiting to be tipped in an rdc and the topic of car insurance came up and two of the other drivers named a company that only deals with drivers with hgv entitelment on there license. Any help…thanx :smiley:

i think there is one called adelaide or something like that? wouldnt mind finding out my self , although mine has gone down first time since driving , £90 a month , inc 3yrs no claims :sunglasses:

Smoggie89:
i think there is one called adelaide

This ^

Yep thats the one cheers boys :grimacing:

My recent renewal was £2100 for a £3k vectra with 11 years no claims, bit of naughtiness from just under 5 years a go though, come febuary the golden 5 years has lapsed and direct line will be a distant memory. Any taint and they don’t half try to put it up you.

I was with DL and when I told them I was LGV1 they DOUBLED my premium that was up for re-newal. I asked how could they justify that with max no claims, and they said “Last year’s premium, which it seems you had under false pretence was based on you driving less than 8000 miles a year. That clearly isn’t true, but we’ve made the adjustment for your renewal premium.”

I walked of course. There’s plenty of other fish in the sea. I ended up getting a renewal slightly lower than my old one, but I kept stumn about the LGV this time around!

Bloody cheek!
:imp: :imp: :imp:

I rang a few others mentioning the LGV but their base premium without it was too high to start, so even with the discount they boasted of (which are available in some areas) I could not get under the insurer I ended up with, which I find myself driving for at present too…
(They’ll be calling me “firm’s boy” next!) :blush: :blush: :blush:
£343 51plate modeo.
:unamused: :unamused:
“This is what good looks like”
:unamused: :unamused:

liverpool victoria, mid 50s lgv driver 2.5 4x4 shogun 3door f comp £229.

I’m with sky insurance. Told them im a haulage contractor. (just a driver really)

23 years old. 4 years ncb. Fully comp. £740!

Went on line played about with a few changing things ended up going to Tesco as they gave me the best deal went down by quite a bit when put tesco club card number in

Did say I was a driver but said my car would be low milage simple

Had a quote a few years back on my day to day car and it came back a lot higher than any other I asked why the premium was so high and the nice girl said because I drive a lorry all day I would be more likely to have an accident in my car because vie been driving all day. I politely told her what she could do with her quote so on that occasion an lgv licence put my insurance up but I do think it should be recognised as an advanced driving qualification to bring your insurance down

The only way to get reasonable insurance is to go through them all.

If you do one thing it’s read this article

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance

There is loads of really advice on the whole MSE site. I do my insurances following the above advice.

Currently about £400 ish fully comp with 10y protected NCB on a 2010 S-MAX 2.0 Ecoboost Titanium X
No claims or convctions though.

Oh and be carefull about dodging your occupation, any small thing could cause them to wriggle out of paying up.

Dave77erf:
Had a quote a few years back on my day to day car and it came back a lot higher than any other I asked why the premium was so high and the nice girl said because I drive a lorry all day I would be more likely to have an accident in my car because vie been driving all day. I politely told her what she could do with her quote so on that occasion an lgv licence put my insurance up but I do think it should be recognised as an advanced driving qualification to bring your insurance down

The bottom line is that all insurance companies base their quotes on past claims experience so, no matter in what high regard we hold ourselves, their computer says that HGV drivers are involved in a disproportionately higher rate of claims and so they adjust the premium accordingly.

Exactly Harry, LGV driver is a loaded profession if you’ll forgive the pun.

(By the way, are you aware TFL are running free information sessions for hauliers going into London during the Olympics?)

Totally ridiculous, a lot of them don’t like that you are a hgv driver even though you are basically bar police pursuit drivers the most experienced driver on the road. How does that work then.

Silver_Surfer:
Totally ridiculous, a lot of them don’t like that you are a hgv driver even though you are basically bar police pursuit drivers the most experienced driver on the road. How does that work then.

The ■■■■■■■■ make it up as they go along.

HTH :wink:

Silver_Surfer:

Based on their past claims experience with HGV drivers. This could simply mean though that an HGV driver is more likely to have his car stolen than average.

jordoe220:
Hi all…do any of you guys or girls get a discount on your motor insurance because you hold an hgv license ?..if you do could you let me know the company please.Just had my renewal through and its gone up by £180 :smiling_imp: .I remember a couple of months back waiting to be tipped in an rdc and the topic of car insurance came up and two of the other drivers named a company that only deals with drivers with hgv entitelment on there license. Any help…thanx :smiley:

adelaideinsurance.com/

It could be worth your while doing the Institute of Advanced Motorists Test,no I am not taking the P.Its well within the capabilities of an experienced driver ,such as the folk on here.

I have a RoSPA Gold which is a higher standard than the IAM. Its not taken in to consideration.

Driveroneuk:
I have a RoSPA Gold which is a higher standard than the IAM. Its not taken in to consideration.

No it isn’t - it just grades passes so gold is above basic IAM standard :wink: (I know several examiners for both - a RoSPA examiner was one of my IAM group observers) Both use the same system and it either works or it doesn’t.
I was an IAM senior observer - probably even higher, but that isn’t the point here!

IAM Select Insurance has bettered all other my quotes for three years now, and passing the test is not that difficult. I save enough to make my £30 a year membership well worth paying.