cheap tyres

for the last few years i have used hankook tyres and i am happy with them but i am thinking of switching to remolds/retreads on the drive axles. i would be pleased to read your thoughts or recomendations. saturday night and i am thinking about tyres :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

i purchased some cheap tyres, supposedly good quality budget tyres for the drive axle on a DAF XF95 SSC

they lasted 4 months :imp: not even worth cutting

NEVER AGAIN!!!

enough said

I buy a make of remould called “Sentaida” and run them on the drive and midlift. I have never had a problem.
I also buy cheap new super single tyres for the trailers called “Triangle” and they are only about a tenner dearer than remoulds.
For steer tyres I usually have Bridgestones but when times have been lean I have used a make of new tyre called “Double Coin” on the steer and they have been ok as well. They are not much dearer than remoulds either.
Central Tyre are my preferred supplier.
Hope this helps.

Carl

shuttlespanker:
i purchased some cheap tyres, supposedly good quality budget tyres for the drive axle on a DAF XF95 SSC

they lasted 4 months :imp: not even worth cutting

NEVER AGAIN!!!

enough said

Yeah i’ve done exactly the same, never again. Bridgestones all the way. You get what you pay for.

I dont pay for tyres, but to be fair neither does our company, they do long term tests for Michelin and now we are testing for Goodyear / Dunlop, but I do notice the wear rates and if a unit or trailer gets fitted with something spurious down the road, it is soon replaced by something longer lasting.

I dont believe there is such a thing as a cheap tyre. Car, Lorry or Motorcycle

Wheel Nut:
I dont pay for tyres, but to be fair neither does our company, they do long term tests for Michelin and now we are testing for Goodyear / Dunlop, but I do notice the wear rates and if a unit or trailer gets fitted with something spurious down the road, it is soon replaced by something longer lasting.

Trust me there is such a thing as a cheap tyre. With tyres you definatly get what you pay for.

MR VAIN:

Wheel Nut:

Trust me there is such a thing as a cheap tyre. With tyres you definatly get what you pay for.

i think that is what Wheel Nut was referring to, it is false economy to get the cheap tyres

I think that is what Wheel Nut was referring to, it is false economy to get the cheap tyres

Thanks. That is exactly what I was trying to say :smiley:

Taurus
Titan
Mammouth
Thor
Godzilla

These are the ones laid in bits next to a rear light cluster, a mudguard stay and a 17 mile motorway queue :wink:

thanks for your thoughts people and i agree that michelin and bridgestone are premium brands unfortunately in my line of work i dont expect to wear tryes out they are more likely to damaged beyond repair. landfill site roads are very unforgiving and reinforcing wire has little respect for bandags or michelins ! if i was travelling on the the black stuff it would be michelin all the way. thanks for your recomendation Carl i will look into sentaida we had a central tyre depot in blackpool but it closed many years ago.

Tarmac duck:
thanks for your thoughts people and i agree that michelin and bridgestone are premium brands unfortunately in my line of work i dont expect to wear tryes out they are more likely to damaged beyond repair. landfill site roads are very unforgiving and reinforcing wire has little respect for bandags or michelins ! if i was travelling on the the black stuff it would be michelin all the way. thanks for your recomendation Carl i will look into sentaida we had a central tyre depot in blackpool but it closed many years ago.

Good Point, not sure of your location, but give Alterever at Gilberdyke a call. He will make you some good rubber.

alterever2@btconnect.com

I always used to fit michi remix on the drives, and new Michis on the front. always E pattern, never A as they are too soft. By no means the cheapest, but by far the most reliable hardest wearing.
Oh! and Ive done the hard shoulder lamp cluster thing, with cheap super singles. :cry:

What is " the hard shoulder lamp cluster thing" ■■

Speck:
What is " the hard shoulder lamp cluster thing" ■■

When a tyre blows out have you not seen the damage it does?

It will probably cost at least as much as the tyre to replace plus the call out.

Well I might have just been lucky then but I have been using remoulds or cheap new tyres since 2005 and have never had a blow out or a puncture. They are not on an easy life either, I do ■■■■■■ old building sites in central London and often have to screw it round hard to get in and out.

I just telling it it how it is from my own experience?

the last tyre blowout i had was a bridgestone it was probably damaged, cut to the cords which then rust and then ouch!!! :blush:

just switched from Bridgestone to Hankooks on the drive axle. Absolutely fine tyres and £200 a piece. Had my doubts at first but they have 60k on them and look like new which at full weight most of the time aint a bad sign.
Had some Taurus on the old Renault and I kid you not I had to cut them at 40k before I sold the thing £85 each ish)

You really can’t polish a turd as the quaint old saying goes!! :smiley:

which have you used Speck ?

Wheel Nut:

I think that is what Wheel Nut was referring to, it is false economy to get the cheap tyres

Thanks. That is exactly what I was trying to say :smiley:

Taurus
Titan
Mammouth
Thor
Godzilla

These are the ones laid in bits next to a rear light cluster, a mudguard stay and a 17 mile motorway queue :wink:

Sorry Wheelnut. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

I do similar work to you as you know. I always put Bridgestone R297’s on the front.

On the rear I’ve tried all sorts. Cheap Chinese remoulds were definately the worst - buggered in about 5months.

Hankook and Kingstone came out well but Double Coin were the best. I’ve actually still got one on my nearside middle axle thats just passed 200,000kms without a recut! :sunglasses: They are pretty cheap too but more pricey than remoulds. Even on tippers I’d say they’re a no-no.

hammer:
I do similar work to you as you know. I always put Bridgestone R297’s on the front.

On the rear I’ve tried all sorts. Cheap Chinese remoulds were definately the worst - buggered in about 5months.

Hankook and Kingstone came out well but Double Coin were the best. I’ve actually still got one on my nearside middle axle thats just passed 200,000kms without a recut! :sunglasses: They are pretty cheap too but more pricey than remoulds. Even on tippers I’d say they’re a no-no.

I use Bridgestones on the front and cheaper on the drive/lift axles

using Double Coins & Encore on the lift, and Firenza on the drive at the moment
(and hanooks on the trailer)

but I usually cut the sides long before they’re worn out :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: