Channel crossing

If time was not a factor, Would you choose the tunnel or ferry? I can choose to go either route and never having done them in a truck, just wondered which was better overall.

Thanks

If time is not a factor and you’ve never done either in a truck before then the ferry will probably be slightly more scenic than the tunnel.

Having done it hundreds of times i prefer tunnel but for a first time experience the ferry beats the train every time

Harry Monk:
If time is not a factor and you’ve never done either in a truck before then the ferry will probably be slightly more scenic than the tunnel.

1st time for me on a ferry with an artic was reversing onto the Fiesta at Dover half asleep… 6 months after passing C+E lol

sorry for holding anyone up that night in december 1992

The ferry. Not in such close proximity to the drivers who’ve never heard of a shower. And you get your free fine dining aboard those fabulous vessels.

Ferry going out.

Train coming back.

AF1:
And you get your free fine dining aboard those fabulous vessels.

Only on DFDS on Dover Calais, and it’s not worth eating. P&O not worth paying for.

switchlogic:

AF1:

Only on DFDS on Dover Calais, and it’s not worth eating. P&O not worth paying for.

Dfds has been decent the last few times I’ve been on it, couldn’t complain. I avoid the breakfast though.

P&O is dreadful, if I want to eat on them I go to one of the restaurants.

I prefer the ferry but I’d take the train if I knew there were no hold ups or waiting.

switchlogic:

AF1:

I’ve only had the misfortune to sample DFDS cuisine recently and it wasn’t a particularly pleasant experience. Has P&O always charged? It’s been a year or so since I’ve been on there and I thought it was free but I could well be mistaken.

I always preferred the ferries, plus I have a morbid fear of trains…seriously! I hate travelling on trains and only ever used the chunnel crossing on about eight occasions, if anyone remembers sitting near a bloke who had his eyes closed and was mumbling… it was probably me :slight_smile:
To this day on the very rare occasions my son or wife arrange a trip into London (which I also hate with a passion) on the tube from Epping, I sit there staring straight ahead with my knuckles turning white where I grip the handrails.

Never having suffered seasickness (well, OK… once on the MV Coutances out of Poole) it was the ferry every time, Sunday morning breakfast on the boat, Calais to Dover after a trip to Italy was the end of the week treat, and P&O served a good breakfast back then.

madmackem:
If time was not a factor, Would you choose the tunnel or ferry? I can choose to go either route and never having done them in a truck, just wondered which was better overall.

Thanks

Eurotunnel is the best way to reach other country, ferry takes a lot of time to cross for other side

For some unknown reason I would take the boat …

I used the ferry every time, never even used the train once. I liked the chance to have a walk about and see stuff. Back in the early 90’s I occasionally used to take the 7.5 ton car transporter over p&o which was nice because of the meal voucher in the better restaurant for truckers.
I didn’t realise they dont offer the same excellent service anymore! Shame.

Depending on where you’re going to and coming from the longer ferry crossings can be a good solution too, and that’d probably be my choice.
Short crossing? Boat is better again. After the first time, train is plain boring. Can be quicker, although not always, and OP says time isn’t a problem.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Newhaven - Dieppe if I am heading to the West in France.

Depends…

On the weather. I’m not now nor never will be Sir Robin Knox-Johnston. If it was going to be a bumpy one, I’d take the train. A nice smooth summer crossing with lots of touristy chickybabes and I’d be there chatting them up and getting drinks chucked in my face etc.

When the train first started, you were welcomed on board with smiling faces and given an airline style meal but, that all went and now it’s an un-friendly, often smelly and boring journey.

Best ferry ever was from Genova to Palermo. 24 hour smooth summer sailing, my own cabin, great food, a disco with lots of drunken giggly chickybabes, a swimming pool and clay pigeon shooting too.

Do the tunnel just so you can enjoy the lovely aroma from the stinky express :smiley:

Ferry every time North Shields - Amsterdam ( Imajurden spelling ) 24 hour I get my own cabin thanks

Irish Seas Holyhead - Dublin not bad again own cabin

Living in Kent for me if time allowed was always tunnel out ferry in . Just gave me a bit of time to wind down have some grub and arrive home nicely chilled

Ferry without a doubt, I much prefer sitting back and watching the sea outside, even having a beer and some grub, stuff stiing in a train looking at tunnel walls.