Changing Careers Due To Redundancy

[ZB] is what the site uses instead of swearing

A member called ZarBean used to be a moderator and edited swear words from posts and to show he had done it he left his initials ZB

S**t

Just read your post ROG. Sorry ZB.It won’t happen again.lol

Miserable sods

I don’t think so, just telling you how it is in the real world or are you Sir one of them know it alls that that believe all the BS in the media of little work and high salaries in the Haulage industry…coz it won’t happen during your early years

I was going to see if I could get funding from the government for some short course additional training , HIAB, ADR, forklift or any course that might increase my chances of finding employment.

If your in full time employment at the moment, then why can’t you pay your own way like quite a lot of us have had to, So you’re being made redundant in August, a lot of people in life have to use money from redundancy to re-train…government won’t pay for anything, unless your on benefits then they will only contribute a percentage as long as there is a guaranteed job at the end of it but no haulage firm to sign up to that …

Swampey2418:
…I don’t think so, just telling you how it is in the real world or are you Sir one of them know it alls that that believe all the BS in the media of little work and high salaries in the Haulage industry…coz it won’t happen during your early years.

No to both questions; I don’t believe everything I read and I am not a ‘know it all’, that is why I am here asking questions, hoping that some helpful member(s) in the trade can help educate me and share their own experiences.

Swampey2418:
If your in full time employment at the moment, then why can’t you pay your own way like quite a lot of us have had to, So you’re being made redundant in August, a lot of people in life have to use money from redundancy to re-train…government won’t pay for anything, unless your on benefits then they will only contribute a percentage as long as there is a guaranteed job at the end of it but no haulage firm to sign up to that …

During the ‘jobs work-shop’ that I attended (see earlier post) it was intimated that some funding could be available, I figure that after 32 years of continuous employment I had paid enough in taxes to merit a little bit back so if it is available then yes I will use it - if not I will fund it myself.

ROG:
[ZB] is what the site uses instead of swearing
A member called ZarBean used to be a moderator and edited swear words from posts and to show he had done it he left his initials ZB

Thanks ROG :laughing:

I figure that after 32 years of continuous employment I had paid enough in taxes to merit a little bit back

lmao…
Do you really think that… to get money out the system these days is like getting blood from a stone…

Swampey2418:

I figure that after 32 years of continuous employment I had paid enough in taxes to merit a little bit back

lmao…
Do you really think that… to get money out the system these days is like getting blood from a stone…

Yes I do really think that I have paid enough taxes to merit a little bit back however the operative word in that statement is merit, whether I can actually get money out of the system or not is a different matter and one I did not mention, however others who left the company last year during the initial rounds of redundancies have undergone funded training paid for out of the government coffers, taking courses for such things as 360 excavator and forklift driving, so if I can give them a good enough reason for doing so I can’t see why I shouldn’t be able to also secure a funded course for myself.

But obviously all that is a different matter and not what I am interested in discussing here on this forum - however I would still appreciate any help you or any other member could give relating to my OP, thanks. :smiley:

Just my opinion here so discard it if you want… The OP didn’t ask for advice on funding his license, it was I who asked him if he was able to get any help. Only did so as I have also recently been made redundant, and my ex employer agreed (with a bit of persuasion) to fund 60% of my training through the Skills Development Scheme, which is a pot of cash from govt for helping retrain folk under formal notice of redundancy.
So please stop giving the OP a hard time about something he hasn’t even mentioned. Thanks! :grimacing:

Wavestarved:
Just my opinion here so discard it if you want… The OP didn’t ask for advice on funding his license, it was I who asked him if he was able to get any help. Only did so as I have also recently been made redundant, and my ex employer agreed (with a bit of persuasion) to fund 60% of my training through the Skills Development Scheme, which is a pot of cash from govt for helping retrain folk under formal notice of redundancy.
So please stop giving the OP a hard time about something he hasn’t even mentioned. Thanks! :grimacing:

Cheers for that. :smiley:

I just wanted to ask what is realistic for a newly qualified driver as far as wages and hours are concerned and how best to go about things.

In answer to you’re opening post the job market is pretty flooded with class two drivers all over the UK, not saying there aren’t the jobs but when you have our brothers from EE prepared to drive for say £7.00 ph, then you can understand why guys find it difficult to get on the class two…
Having a class one licence is an achievement but it gets expensive and harder to find work due to quite a few companies wanting a minimum of 2 years experience.

One thing to point out that in any 2 week period your limited to 90hrs driving time, this can either be 56 hrs one week followed by 34hrs the following week, but generally they divide he driving hrs to 45 per week
Whilst your limited on number of driving hrs per day, the other hours worked or made up of is made up of waiting,load and unload times,plus there are a number of record breaks that you are required by law to take throughout the day.
Their can be also a certain amount of physical work involved, so hoping that your fit

For example - Food chain companies such as 3663 - Brakes - P&H send out there class 2 wagons with 6-8 pallets stacked high,as the driver you have to park as near to the location as possible, most times the nearest you’ll get is anywhere from outside the door or even up to 50metres plus.
Then you literally break down each pallet for that delivery, hand balling everything and it’s not just the case of delivering it to the shop door,Oh no… once its been checked,some locations expect you to place it in their store room.
On the other hand you could work for a local builders merchant, where you would use a lorry mounted crane ( once you’ve completed at recognised course ) to load and unload, there still is a certain amount physical work involved.

Agency work or none agency work which is best, the only difference is being empaled you work 4/5 days a week what ever hrs per day weather it be 10hrs or 13 hrs you get a guaranteed salary, Agency its as and when required work, so one week you could be out for two days and then have nothing for couple of weeks depends on have you something else to fall back on.
To achieve anything near the hight rate as mentioned to £10 per hour on class two with ADR licence, makes a person more of an attractive when it comes to employment but again stumbling block is the 2 years experience.

I would like to point out if you had made it clear off the bat that either you was funding your own training or that you was getting funding towards training as apart of your redundancy package or from a government scheme then I believe that one of the senior members Swampy2418 would have answered your post completely different.
Each week there are posts from people who want to become a HGV driver and unfortunately the senior members do give our some really decent advice but in the also a good harsh dose of reality due to the industry being painted in the media picture of easy work, normal working hrs and high salaries…not the case at all

Read this thread if you haven’t already, just goes to prove that its not all a bed of roses for newbies

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124331#p1934836

Thanks ‘Chunkychunk’ for the excellent reply. :smiley:

To clarify I am paying for all the training myself out of my own pocket and not as part of any redundancy package however if funding does become available then obviously I will take what is on offer, I came into this fully expecting and prepared to pay for everything myself.

I am still not sure why who is paying for what should make any difference to the replies to my original post - I was asking about the job itself not the training or availability of funding :confused: :arrow_right: No worries, hopefully it has been cleared up now.

I figure that in order to justify paying out for all the necessary training then the job should ultimately pay a wage that makes it worthwhile enough to bother - and LGV drivers do deserve to be paid well for the job that they do!

Thanks again.

I had my Class 1 licence for over 2 years before I even sat in an artic.

I’ll be perfectly honest, I was terrified of reversing, so I stuck at my Class 2 job, despite the handballing, crazy hours and rubbish money.

Then I found out that a local company of excellent repute, had a new TM, and he was keen to give newbies a go.

I was assessed by a chap who wasn’t out for me to fail, gave me tips on my road positioning (like I said, was a long time since I’d taken one around a sharp bend or a tight roundabout) then I went and had a chat with the TM.

Provisional offer of a job, on the same rate as anyone else. Not just a case of being thrown a set of keys and being told not to break anything.

A days induction, as well as a full days reversing training, including cheeky blindsides, so that I wasn’t left to my own devices, and was pretty much ready for most eventualities.

Own motor, MAN TGX XXL, pennies off a tenner an hour, all the overtime I can do legally if I want it, but with no pressure to do it.

Love it to bits, no buggering about with sack trucks or pump trucks anymore, pull up, open back doors or curtains, and leave them to it.

All breaks and POAs paid, average night out money, way less stressed and taking home about a grand a month more.

PaulNowak’s position is not unique. I have had a very similar experience as him,in fact we have both been employed by one of the notorious ’ starter ’ class 2 firms.
As has been rightly said,its not a case of purchase lessons,pass tests,and then pick which 28k a year class 1 job you want.

However as pointed out,if you stick with it,earn your stripes and have a bit of patience,you can end up in very well paid enjoyable class 1 jobs like Paul and I.

Its also a big help if you live in an area where work is plentiful. Good luck with it mate.

eagerbeaver:
PaulNowak’s position is not unique. I have had a very similar experience as him,in fact we have both been employed by one of the notorious ’ starter ’ class 2 firms.
As has been rightly said,its not a case of purchase lessons,pass tests,and then pick which 28k a year class 1 job you want.

However as pointed out,if you stick with it,earn your stripes and have a bit of patience,you can end up in very well paid enjoyable class 1 jobs like Paul and I.

Its also a big help if you live in an area where work is plentiful. Good luck with it mate.

Well said that man.

One other thing to point out, is that if you’re ok with tramping, a 50 mile drive to work and back at the end of the week, is no more than doing a 10 mile one each day, for the right job.

I am eager to get on with it but not looking to run before I can walk either, I will only do what I feel confident I can do and if that means taking some time and slowing things down then so be it. I completed my medical yesterday and sent off my application for the provisional licence, practising for the theory and hazard awareness tests whilst I am waiting then once they are completed it will be onto the actual driver training… … … long way to go but looking forward to it happening. :smiley:

Thanks for the help and advise :smiley:

Its good to be eager.

eagerbeaver:
Its good to be eager.

But better to be eagerbeaver?
Micky, I did CPC training in one week before I started, sorry if mentioned before, have you got this covered?
I passed Cat C nearly 6 weeks ago and have been driving a six-legger for the last three weeks, through an agency for £8.50 p/h PAYE. Started last April on 7.5tonners and vans. Have been working pretty much solid apart from two weeks before Christmas and it’s been a bit scrappy since, so I’ve done the training/test etc as I was warned things would be quiet either side of Christmas.
My experience tells me to sign with a few agencies and keep them aware of your availability. Accept you may not always get a days work but let the agencies know when you want to work. Two/three days a week etc. Or extended periods, nights away etc. If you get no offers move agency. I may have been lucky, but I wanted weekdays, no nights and no weekends. The agencies I’ve been with have kept me busy, but I feel I have a good working relationship with them all. I feel the experience I got starting small has stood me in good stead and I’ve also always told people if I didn’t know how to do something and have always been trained/instructed, though some places can be a little hurried in that respect.
Oh, keep a diary…
Can’t comment on the f/t vs. agency question cos I’ve been agency only. Longer-term I’d like to go continental Class 1 but am happy to gather experience for now.
Good luck!

I think the reason I have a tendency to want to rush things along is because I am conscious of my age, 48 next month and I would like to ‘get there’ before I am too old. :laughing:

Is there a regional difference in job availability, some members seem to struggle to find work whilst others don’t seem to have a problem?

Area is very important for job prospects. I don’t know what the Nottinghamshire area is like regarding logistics but if you are willing to do a bit of travelling to/from work this would obviously improve your chances.

My experience is that enthusiasm and effort go a long way in the eyes of a TM.

I live in Portsmouth so it’s busy down here. With Southampton close the pictures even better.