Changing Careers Due To Redundancy

Hello All! :smiley:
I am being made redundant 4 months from now & thinking about changing careers to LGV driving.
I am 47 and located in the Nottinghamshire area.
The training does not come cheap so before I go ahead I have some questions.

1. Is work available?
  2. Should I stick at Class 2 or will I be better off doing Class 1?
  3. Do the agencies supply work on a regular basis?
  4. Agency work or none agency work which is best?
  5. Is ÂŁ10+ per hour achievable?
  6. Is 40 hours per week work available? - Not fussed about what days are worked or which hours days\nights.

I am intending on doing the Class 1 as I feel that is where the likely money is and hoping to get it done via a couple of block courses prior to being made redundant. I don’t want to work super long hours, around 40 hours per week would be good although I don’t mind which hours I work or how long the shifts are, e.g. 3 x 14 hour shifts, 4 x 10 hour shifts, 5 x 8 hour shifts, Fri, Sat, Sun night work would all be OK so long as I have some free time to call my own.

Thanks in advance and apologies for all the first post newbie questions.

Ever thought of becoming a teacher.

No serious. The ad on the TV shows 25k a year, home every night, weekeweekends off, paid holiday, more than any driving job. I kid you not it’s gotta be worth a look.

nick2008:
Ever thought of becoming a teacher.

No serious. The ad on the TV shows 25k a year, home every night, weekeweekends off, paid holiday, more than any driving job. I kid you not it’s gotta be worth a look.

That’s got to be better than driving

If on agency you might get the hours you want but I would not hold my breath

Try having a chat with this forums sponser - truckdrivertraining.co.uk/ - who happen to be just north of you in Mansfield

Thanks for the replies, ‘nick, mac’ it is just the truck driving I am interested in. :wink:

I have now booked my initial drivers medical with Peter Smythe, picked him having previously viewed this forum and once I have my provisional I intend to continue with him for the training.

It would be nice to hear the opinions of current drivers especially those that are new to the game.

You won’t go wrong with Peter Smythe micky i did my mod 4 and some cpc at Mansfield they are a great bunch there.

whiteheart3:
You won’t go wrong with Peter Smythe micky i did my mod 4 and some cpc at Mansfield they are a great bunch there.

Cheers Buddy.

Just noticed the 10% discount for ‘trucknet’ users shown here. :smiley:

Just noticed the 10% discount for ‘trucknet’ users shown here

Please ask for it when booking otherwise the accounts folks get stroppy!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

MickyB666:
Thanks for the replies, ‘nick, mac’ it is just the truck driving I am interested in. :wink:

I have now booked my initial drivers medical with Peter Smythe, picked him having previously viewed this forum and once I have my provisional I intend to continue with him for the training.

It would be nice to hear the opinions of current drivers especially those that are new to the game.

why are you only intrested in truck driving? what do you no about the job?

Peter Smythe:

Just noticed the 10% discount for ‘trucknet’ users shown here

Please ask for it when booking otherwise the accounts folks get stroppy!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I have already booked in for the medical, can I use the 10% discount against the cost of the driving course?

What sort of time scale am I looking at from completing the medical to getting started on the driving course?

I did the same after being made redundant a few years back. Don’t regret it one bit, wanted to do it when I was a nipper, but my I was pushed away from it due to my education and qualifications.

I now tramp (class1) Fri-Mon, and usually do the Tuesday too unless I have something on. I’m on just shy (only just) a tenner an hour, plus night out money.

Love it. Top spec truck, and work for a nice bunch of people.

PaulNowak:
I did the same after being made redundant a few years back. Don’t regret it one bit, wanted to do it when I was a nipper, but my I was pushed away from it due to my education and qualifications.
I now tramp (class1) Fri-Mon, and usually do the Tuesday too unless I have something on. I’m on just shy (only just) a tenner an hour, plus night out money.
Love it. Top spec truck, and work for a nice bunch of people.

Thanks very much for the reply & info, I would be happy to work Friday to Monday and have the rest of the week off. :smiley:
I am only looking for a take home salary of around ÂŁ1,500 per month, the quicker and easier I can get to that figure the better. :smiley:

PM on its way.

Who are you currently working for Micky? Depending, you may be entitled to some help towards training costs. Worth asking your employer, or union if you’re in one.

I think you have to have been out of work for some time to have the some funding from the state

I changed to driving when I was 40. After u get your licence most emplyers want 2years experience. You get this with agency work. You’ll start on “■■■■■■ jobs and trucks”. But hang in there. Agency will cancel at the drop of a hat. So if u need the money be prepared for good and bad wages. If u find something u like,do all u can to stay with it. I found a weeks intensive course exhausting. When I took my class one,I took 1 lesson a week for a month and passed first time. Class 1 work is easier. Your medical should cost about£40.in Maltby. Get back to me for a phone number if u r paying more than that. Good luck.

As for hours… expect to work at least 50.

Cheers all.

Who are you currently working for Micky? Depending, you may be entitled to some help towards training costs. Worth asking your employer, or union if you’re in one.

The company recently ran a ‘job work-shop’, with representatives from the ‘National Careers Service’, ‘Job Centre Plus’ and the like, the availability of fully funded and part-funded training was mentioned as part of this work-shop. I was hoping to pass C+E whilst still working my current job and then come August, when I am made redundant, be in a position to start working as a LGV driver. If it does work out this way I was going to see if I could get funding from the government for some short course additional training , HIAB, ADR, forklift or any course that might increase my chances of finding employment.

MIcky666

If you was on benefits i.e. Job seekers allowance or Employment Support allowance and have been given a boneified job offer then the job centre might consider assisting with some help paying toward some training but they won’t pay out right…
Been there and got the t-shirt…wouldnt even help paying towards my CPC a few years back… your on your own

If you’re currently working and being made redundant in August, then you got 2 options …use ya redundancy toward your training…or you’ll have to go into debt for it…really the government won’t pay out

billdor1967:
… …You’ll start on “[zb] jobs and trucks”.

What’s does [zb] mean?

Swampey2418:
MIcky666
If you was on benefits i.e. Job seekers allowance or Employment Support allowance and have been given a boneified job offer then the job centre might consider assisting with some help paying toward some training but they won’t pay out right…
Been there and got the t-shirt…wouldnt even help paying towards my CPC a few years back… your on your own
If you’re currently working and being made redundant in August, then you got 2 options …use ya redundancy toward your training…or you’ll have to go into debt for it…really the government won’t pay out

Miserable sods. :frowning: